Schwei: Mets, Phillies Renew Rivalry
By John Schweibacher
» More Columns
The Mets’ season-opening road trip continues with three games against the Phillies. New York went 4 and 5 in their nine games at Citizens Bank Park last season, including a series win there in September which was the Mets’ first in Philly since July of 2008.
Jose Reyes has hit .309 lifetime at Citizens Bank Park, the highest as a Met among active players with at least 30 at bats there:
Highest Batting Averages by Mets at Citizens Bank Park:
· Damion Easley .441
· Jeff Francoeur .400
· Kaz Matsui .352
· Brian Schneider .333
· Fernando Tatis .319
· Carlos Delgado .312
· José Reyes .309
· Endy Chavez .283
· Paul Lo Duca .278
· Carlos Beltran .273
Mike Pelfrey’s career ERA in Philadelphia is 8.17. As bad as that sounds its 11th among Mets pitchers who have thrown at least 15 innings for the club at Citizens Bank:
Best ERA’s by Mets Pitchers at Citizens Bank Park:
· Victor Zambrano 2.16
· John Maine 2.78
· Oliver Perez 3.00
· Al Leiter 3.71
· Tom Glavine 4.06
The Mets host the Washington Nationals this weekend at Citi Field. New York lost its season opener in Florida, dropping their record on opening days to 32 and 18 all-time and 32 and 10 since 1970.
The Mets’ record in home openers is nearly identical. New York has won 31 and lost 18 of its home openers at the Polo Grounds, Shea Stadium and now Citi Field. The Mets have won 10 of their last 13 home openers dating back to 1998, including last season’s 7-1 win over the Marlins which ended a two-game home opener losing streak.
New York took 12 of 13 openers at Shea from 1971 through 1983, dropping a 3-2, 14-inning decision to Montreal in 1979. Overall, the Mets are 5 and 4 in their nine previous home openers against the Expos/Nationals.
Blaine Boyer picked up the save in the Mets’ 6-4, 10-inning win over the Marlins Saturday night. It was just the 2nd career save for Boyer. His first came back on May 14th, 2008 when he went the final inning and a third to preserve the win for Tom Glavine and the Braves, 8-6, over the Phillies. It was the 304th career victory for Glavine, his next to last in the major leagues.
Boyer joins this odd collection of Mets who recorded the club’s first save of a season dating back to 1969 when the save became an official MLB statistic:
· 2010 Mike Pelfrey. Only career save to date as he closed out Cardinals in 20th inning in 2-1 win in St. Louis in 11th game of season.
· 2004 Orber Moreno. Only career save pitching scoreless 11th inning of 3-2 win over Expos in Puerto Rico in 4th game of season.
· 1999 Allen Watson. Only career save went final three innings in 12-3 blowout in Florida as Mets evened season mark at 1-1.
· 1993 & 94 Mike Maddux. Went 1 1/3 for 1st of seven career Mets saves in 7th game of season, a 6-3 victory in Colorado in 1993. Did the same with two perfect innings at Wrigley as Mets completed 3-game season opening sweep of Cubs in 1994.
· 1989 Don Aase. Opening day save in 8-4 win over Cardinals was one of two with Mets for reliever who had 82 in MLB career.
· 1978 Mardie Cornejo. 1st of three career saves for “the chief” in only season in majors came as Mets went to 3 and 0 on season with 6-5 victory over Montreal at Shea.
· 1969 Nolan Ryan. Saved 1st win of season for miracle Mets, going 1 2/3 innings as Mets evened record at 1 and 1 with 9-5 victory over expansion Expos. 1st of two saves as Met (three
overall) in what became a Hall-of-Fame career.
Scott Hairston became the 900th player in New York Mets history with his pinch-hitting appearance opening night in Florida. Thanks to Mets by the Numbers for this list, the milestone Mets on their all-time roster and when they made their debuts:
· 100: Jimmie Schaffer (July 26, 1965)
· 200: Bill Sudakis (July 11, 1972)
· 300: Phil Mankowski (April 11, 1980)
· 400: Randy Milligan (Sept. 12, 1987)
· 500: Kelly Stinnett (April 5, 1994)
· 600: Lenny Harris (July 4, 1998)
· 700: Tom Glavine (March 31, 2003)
· 800: Moises Alou (April 1, 2007)
· 900: Scott Hairston (April 1, 2011)
Schwei’s Runs, Hits and Errors:
Runs: Willie Harris. Hits .400 (4-for-10) with a homer and four RBI’s in season-opening series in Florida.
Hits: R.A. Dickey. Picked up where he left off in 2010, allowing 0 earned runs in six innings to win 1st start of season.
Errors: Francisco Rodriguez. Blows 1st save chance of season.
How many games will the Mets take from Philly? Make your prediction in the comments below…