Lauren Ayala Of Staten Island Charged After Her Child Slips Out Of House And Into Traffic

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — A young Staten Island mother said she was so busy working on her taxes she didn’t notice when her 20-month-old son slipped out the front door, police allege.

The boy was found in a t-shirt and a diaper on Manor Road. The passerby who found the toddler waited 20 minutes for his mother, Lauren Ayala, to arrive, according to a report in the Staten Island Advance.

Ayala, 21, was arraigned Wednesday on charges of endangering the welfare of a child. She was released on her own recognizance.

If convicted, she faces up to a year in jail.

Ayala reportedly told police the boy’s father was supposed to be watching him.

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. satansbuddy says:

This story is stupid. If she is telling the truth and the kid got out accidentally, then she deserves some sort of punishment, a light one to learn her lesson- like lock the door.
    Her sense of style is quite poor, and perhaps she should be charged with that. I don’t care if the photo was from 2007.
    Stupidity should be a crime.

1. valoispq says:

What about the father who was supposed to be watching him, why is he not being charged?

2. Dan Te says:

ACS should take the child away from her. Why is she filing her taxes if she receives public assistance?

3. LAURA says:

ITS SO FUNNY THAT PEOPLE WANT TO JUDGE RIGHT AWAY BECAUSE WHAT SHE IS WEARING. MY DAUGHTER IS 14 MONTHS AND IF THE DOOR IS OPEN FOR 2 SECONDS SHE GOES RIGHT FOR IT. IT COULD HAVE BEEN A MISCOMMUNICATION BETWEEN THE PARENTS IT HAPPENS. RIGHT AWAY PEOPLE WANT TO THINK SHES LOW CLASS OR DOESNT HAVE A JOB. STOP ASSUMING PEOPLE IT ONLY MAKES AN ASS OUT OF YOU

4. Moral Truth says:

I bet she’s rockin’ a Flava Flav clock on that rope chain and that’s the moral truth.

5. Jeff Rosen says:

Hopefully there is more to the story than just the baby getting outside for her to be charged with endangering. If this is the only story then I’m glad I retired from the NYPD when I did. I’d be embarassed to bring this collar in. Unfortunately it was probably some big boss who ordered the cop to arrest her to cover his a@@.

1. Moral Truth says:

Jeff she was arrested because she is Spanish and thats the moral truth.

6. Moral Truth says:

Its bad enough everyone is railroading Ms. Ayala who is being maliciously prosecuted.

A father leaves his 9 year old in the car with the keys and someone got in and drove off and now a lady left her 13 year old daughter home for a week to go to Taiwan.

The police need to explain why Ms. Ayala was unjustifyibly arrested and thats the moral truth.

7. KPMc says:

Will someone send the children that right these headlines for CBS back to school?

The woman is not famous. It doesn’t make any sense to put her name in the headline and the headline itself is pretty clunky.

Instead of…

“Lauren Ayala Of Staten Island Charged After Her Child Slips Out Of House And Into Traffic”

how about…

“Staten Island Mom Charged After Toddler Wanders From Home”

Or something like that? It’s time to hire actual adults who went to college or at least paid the slightest bit of attention in 8th grade.

1. Mr Armenia says:

her civil rights were violated.

8. Big Nard says:

The pink hair and big rope chain says it all. Low class and no job. You will be supporting her and her kid.

1. ned says:

It says bad fashion sense but she was doing her taxes so apparently she has some kind of job.

2. jayhoop says:

its a 2007 photo genius. If her kid is 20 mos old he would have been born in 08-09 timeframe well after this photo. Maybe she pulled her head from her butt and got a job. Give her the benefit of the doubt.

9. Mr. Armenia says:

I’d like to help her make a new, better child.

1. Mr. Armenia says:

I know you are, but what am I?

2. satansbuddy says:

Were you going to finish the title, but got distracted? He is a stupid what?

10. Lieutenantdan says:

Typical denial response is to blame it on the DAD.

11. HARLEM GOING H.A.M. says:

IS SHE A RAPPER? SHE LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE FROM A 1982 HIP HOP PARTY. ONE THING FOR SURE, SHE DOESN’T LOCK HER DOOR.

1. IdiotsAllAround says:

Obviously you have not seen how resourceful and smart small children can be to unlock doors. Toddlers younger than that can figure out how to climb out of a crib. It’s awfully easy from behind your computer to assign blame, to believe the first thing you read and to jump to conclusions. It’s also easy to presume to know everything there is to know about child-rearing and child-care, even though you have not raised every child in the world. It’s also very stupid to presume to know about a person’s character based on what kind of clothes they wear or the color of their skin. I’d say most parents have a story about how their child escaped their view and did something they are not supposed to. No parent is perfect, no child is perfect and, unfortunately, accidents happen.

12. jimbo says:

I could see it happening. Doing taxes is a stretch. More like doing her hair!

13. Catherine says:

There is nothing like spending the morning spewing hate and throwing judgments online, eh? I must be a real loser for thinking I don’t hate the right to publicly skewer anyone since I am not a perfect God-Human.

14. Devenio says:

Look at that…. I just sunk to the level of the racist mutants on this board. Oh woe is me.

15. Moral Truth says:

A week ago a father leavers his 9 year old in his car with the keys in the ignition and his car got stolen.

Ms. Ayala gets arrested because her son ran outside.

This is a double standard and thats the moral truth

16. Roy says:

Her hair matches her eye makeup.Maybe she should sell the gold chain and hire a babysitter!

1. general says:

17. HARLEM GOING H.A.M. says:

NO ALWAYS TRUE. THERE’S A LOT OF SUCESSFUL SINGLE MOM’S. IT’S THE FATHERS THAT BE LACKING. SHE MADE MISTAKE BY LEAVING THE DOOR OPEN.

1. Devenio says:

Only an idiot would respond to an idiot.

18. Jenn says:

This is a sad story! Kids can be incredibly adept at getting out of the front door. Mothers under pressure to get taxes done might be distracted. My son was getting out at 16 months. He was a runner – couldn’t take him to public places without him making a bolt for it. We had many close calls – and I was 30 years old at the time. He later turned out to be autistic. We put two way locks on our doors so that a key is needed from the inside to leave. Yes, a bit of a fire hazard, but at least my kid can’t end up in the street.
    People are quick to blame this mother without knowing all of the details. I know first hand the panic from having a kid out of the house. I’m not sure it would have been fair to put me in jail for when it happened to me. A strong support system and people to advise me on how to fix the situation was more helpful. I think that’s what this girl needs as well.

1. IdiotsAllAround says:

No, it would not be fair to imprison a parent for what was most likely an accident. I sincerely doubt that this woman had any malicious intent. Small children can be smarter than we give them credit for.

19. mark says:

Man, do you people have kids? Little ones are very adept at getting into, AND OUT OF, places. I bet you anything that these cops who arrested her have kids that have either gotten out of the yard or out of the house by accident. The hypocrisy is astounding.

Parents, do NOT make any mistakes with your children. Padlock all the doors. Keep them next to you at all times. Helicopter around them so absolutely no harm will come to them and they will live a full, productive life. If you don’t do this you run the risk of being arrested and sent to jail. But I guess the way our government thinks about it is that is a better place for a mother to be that with her child.

20. jp says:

The credit for the photo states it was taken in 2007. You have no idea what Ms. Alaya looks like now, so you should not judge her on how she looks in that photo when she was only 16 years old.

1. bill says:

So true jp. I bet she has two chains now

2. LAURA says:

I AGREE

21. Soap says:

She paid for the chain with her tax refund.

22. Soap says:

My kid tried that. Since then, all my doors/windows are wired with alarms that are always active.

23. Noah Lawson says:

Why was she charged if the father was suposed to be watching the child, was it possibly because she was the one who cared enough for the child to go looking when she found he was missing?

24. Mr Armenia says:

She is definitely being charged based on her ethnicity.

What about the guy who left his 9 year old son in the car with the keys. The car got stolen and he didn’t get charged.
    What a double standard.

1. Mr. Armenia says:

no you are stupid

2. Mr Armenia is a bigot says:

Awesome! You called it right he did shut up. He makes the same idiotic out of place comments on every post.

25. John says:

Look at the size of that chain around her neck maybe she couldn’t move.

Comments are closed.