Westchester County Launches ’100 Reasons’ Tourism Campaign
WHITE PLAINS, NY (WCBS 880) - If you need a reason to explore Westchester County, the county’s tourism department is now giving you a hundred.
WCBS 880′s Catherine Cioffi: Tourism Official Says Westchester Residents Don’t Realize How Much They Have
The county has launched its 100 Hundred Reasons to Explore Westchester campaign.
“We have heritage. We have lots of museums and galleries. We have some world famous chefs, some very well known chefs, and of course a great outdoors,” says Lydia Ruth of tourism office, who also says the campaign is aimed both at people from outside of the county and those who live there.
“A lot of people who live here don’t really realize all there is to do and I know when I talk to people who live in Westchester about some of the things we have, they [say] ‘Oh I didn’t know about that.’ So, it’s for everyone,” says Ruth.
She says, “People are constantly surprised when they come up here and, you know, take advantage of what there is to do. A lot of people who live there don’t seem to do that. They seem to stay in the city after work.”
The top ten reasons are:
1. Lyndhurst, the 1838 Gothic Revival mansion designed by Alexander Jackson Davis.
2. The “snuggery” home of America’s “Founding Father of Literature”
3. Former Vice President’s home with famous artwork and Picasso tapestries.
4. Home of a prominent NY family – and an annual carved pumpkin event!
5. Enslaved Africans once operated this farming, trading and milling complex.
6. National Historic Landmark with an original 1750’s papier-mache ceiling.
7. Colonial church used as a hospital during the Revolutionary War.
8. Church with stained glass windows by European masters.
9. Oldest functioning church and cemetery in the USA.
10. Residence of America’s first US Supreme Court Chief Justice.
For the full list, click HERE.