Pain At The Pump: Gas Prices Continue To Rise Across Tri-State

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Drivers across the Tri-State Area continue to wince at prices at the pump.

As of Monday, the statewide average in New York, according to AAA, was $3.93 a gallon for regular unleaded. In Connecticut, prices rose by a penny to $3.94. In New Jersey, prices were comparatively cheap at an average of $3.58 per gallon.

1010 WINS’ Stan Brooks reports: How High Will It Go?

The biggest hike came from one station in the Big Apple that increased prices by 10 cents overnight.

“Oh my God, in my lifetime, I remember when I was a kid it was 23 cents a gallon,” lamented driver Helen Lopez.

In just the past few weeks, gas prices have shot up by 12 cents a gallon in New Jersey. At one Exxon station in Clark,  drivers are paying $3.69 a gallon of regular.

“It’s very annoying. I travel 28 miles back and forth so I am going to suffer this summer this fall,” Ginger Reilly of Middlesex told CBS 2’s Christine Sloan.

Nicole Moorer of Suffern spent $75 filling up her Mercedes at one of the most expensive gas stations in our area, the Citgo on the Hutch in the Bronx.

“It’s on the route going to work. It’s convenient. Got to pay a little more for convenience,” she said.

At $4.29 for regular, the Hutch Citgo is above the statewide average for New York. “When you need it really bad, they jump it up like that,” said Matthew Wierman of Hyde Park.

“I can’t afford $60 to fill up. It’s not going to happen,” one driver said.

The national average reached $3.76 a gallon, 17 cents lower than New York City’s average of $3.93.

Some attribute the soaring gas prices on the problems in Libya. Rebellion there impacted oil fields, putting a stop to the country’s daily exports of 1.5 million barrels of crude, and leading oil speculators to push up the price.

“I don’t understand politics in the Middle East. I don’t know what’s involved,” said Jonathan Tropper of New Rochelle.

Simultaneously, refineries in the U.S. were switching to their summer blend, which also increases the cost.

Experts said the average cost of gas could exceed 2008’s all-time record of $4.11 a gallon.

“When gas hit four dollars, motorists … changed their driving habits and we saw the price of gasoline and crude oil plummet. That could happen again but most experts say I don’t think so,” said Sal Risalvato of the NJ Gasoline Retailers Association.

Has the change in gas prices affected your driving? Leave a comment below…

More from Stan Brooks In Memoriam
Comments

1. Twix says:

In Norway we pay $ 9.87 a gallon… That’s expensive.
    The distance to work is very important. If a factory/office is far from where people live they have to pay extra to get people to work there because of the extra cost of getting there.
    I pay almost $ 800 for a full tank on my VW Caravelle.

This is one of the main reasons why gas mileage is VERY important when people is going to buy a car. You will have to look VERY hard to find a V8 or V6 engine in a car sold here. We buy cars with 3 or 4 cylinders with a engine volume of 0.8 liters to max 2 liter.
    Every single person in Norway pays an average of $ 1.880 of car related takes a year.
    I still think it is cheap to gas in the US. But the last time I was there I paid only
    $ 1.10 a gallon. That was way cheaper.. and it is not that long ago.

1. Twix says:

aiii.. made a math error there. I paid $ 209 for a full tank the last time. Still… in a year it adds up to over $ 20.000 just for some diesel.
      The electric cars just needs to come down in price, grow in size and be able to drive longer between charging… then I’ll make the transition to electric.

Right now it would be more profitable for me to go on welfare then working..

2. JENNIFER A says:

HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO COMMUTE TO WORK? ARE WE SUPPOSED TO STARVE TOO BECAUSE THE PRICES OF FOOD HAS GONE UP WITH THE GAS? LOSE YOUR HOUSE AND CAR BECAUSE U CANT AFFORD TO WORK? THEN CONNECTICUT WANTS TO BE STINGY WITH HELPING US AND OUR CHILDREN?

3. mark golden says:

It costs €1.49 per litre in Ireland on average and there are 3.78 litres in a Gallon. Work out the mth and it’s kinda cheap to buy gas in the states even at $4.29 a gallon

4. jb says:

It’s bad enough prices are as high as they are, but to top it off many gas stations are charging an additional charge for debit/credit. Is this legal? Are the news agency looking into this?

5. Maria Vitale Uram says:

Definitely agree it’s wall street greed at it’s best. Put an end to the futures selling that tanker 3 times before it comes into port. This started way before the Libya controversy so definitely smoke and mirrors. Obama fudging on another promise. Yes we wanted changed but this isn’t the change we wanted. This country is going down the tubes and it has Obama’s name all over it. Hope everyone that voted for him is happy. He started his campaign for re-election…I have a bridge I want to sell any buyers …

6. Pi$$ed Off Long Islander says:

Here’s a good article from the NY POst on December 15, 2010…

What you can do about outrageous gas prices….

7. Pi$$ed Off Long Islander says:

I think gas should go up to $5 or $6 a gallon. Suck us all dry. Good job Obama….

8. mm says:

Yeah as morons known as AMERICANS allow a CORRUPT INFESTED CARTEL KNOWN AS CONGRESS to give BILLIONS of our tax $$ to the MID EAST SLIME they are in collusion with!! DISBAND CONGRESS!!!! They have betrayed this nation!!

9. RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT says:

Sounds crazy, but you should end the federal resrve bank for starters

1. Food Stamp Recipient says:

Why I like the idea of winding up in a FEMA CAMP, I hear that they have brand new crematoriums that they can burn us in when we die.

1. REGULAR / UNLEADED, or DIESEL? says:

How much gasoline does it take FEMA to cook up a dead body?
        Who pays the tab?

10. tom says:

I can’t give you much sympathy. I just paid $4.21 for off-brand gas here in Pleasanton, CA

11. bob says:

well when they see you paying 1.50 for a bottel of water 11.00 to smoke 13.00 for a toll and can getaway with it. then why not pay for gas. you did it to your selfs. thats all folks.

12. bob says:

well when they see you paying 1.50 for a bottel of water and 11.00 to smoke and 13.00 for a toll. and getaway with it then why not pay for gas. thats all folks you did it to your selfs

13. Bklyn resident says:

should I ride my bicycle to work from Brooklyn to LI every morning?

14. tyler says:

It makes me sad and unhappy. All of a sudden I feel so alone

15. I DON'T WANT TO DIE IN EAST NY says:

–THANKS OBAMA !!! SOME CHANGE SINCE YOU BEEN IN OFFICE !!! NO EVERYBODY IS BEGGING FOR CHANGE (PENNIES, NICKELS).

16. JMB says:

There is a SIMPLE solution(s):

1. Gov’t needs to step in and control the oil prices the oil companies are raising at their own will. It is CRIMINAL as they have a monopoly and people need gas for their cars in order to get to work.;

2. Here we have been in Iraq since 2003, spent BILLIONS helping re-build their country why dont we take baxk 5-10% of our cost in oil??

BOTH VERY SIMPLE SOLUTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM!!

17. Kris says:

Dear CBS, why are so many of your readers really f’n stupid?

1. Bear Buyer says:

A ha ha, most if these people are really dumb. Even if some are only acting dumb, they are way too good at it. Farking ish-heads!

18. J says:

You can thank our government for not addressing this issue back in the 1970’s. They knew this was going to happen. It’s not rocket science. One barrel out = one less barrel in.

19. sharon keiser says:

great we really need higher prices

20. Arnold says:

This is Obama’s fault. He stands in the way of energy production within the USA, he leaves us at the mercy of OPEC. He shows no ability to think outside the box, e.g. seeking fixed price contracts with our allies, Canada and Mexico, which are top oil providers.

21. jerseyjoey says:

See, wall street greed here, plain and simple, libya has not a thing to do with it, smoke and mirrors. When people stop spending, botcott everything and it comes around to election time Low and behold gas will be under 2.00 $ a gallon. This prediction bought to you by Joetrodomus: quatrain 1 , even a mental cave man can see the truth, yes the effort to Dumb down Americans has worked to well it seems. Not Bushes Fault , whos in office now and do you like your change yet?

22. rajesh says:

politicans have nothing to do with increased prices they have no time to think beyond their own politics . so common man cry as much as u can.

1. mm says:

if u think they have NOTHING to do with it you are truly an IDIOT!

23. Jets Fan says:

If businesses regulate the price, there will be even more gouging. As we found out recently, business can’t be trusted to regulate itself, whether house, market or gas, the outcome is always the same.. Too many crooks are attracted to money. Deregulation of the finance industry was clearly a disaster. Privatize the profit and socialize the cost is the new capitalist business mantra.

24. Jimmy says:

I use mass transit. Can I sell that as a carbon credit to someone that drives?

25. Dave says:

The government should never regulate the price of gas. The markets best control the prices. When prices are a regulated it creates shortages. The real issue is the government has devalued the dollar. The cost of gas has actually gone down but the price has gone up because the dollar is worth so much less. Certainly the mid east turmoil is affecting the price but even more so is that our government is causing the value of the dollar to plummet. If you thing this is bad wait until we lose our status as the world’s reserve currency.

26. gth says:

I sold my car and take mass transit. This is price gouging and the government needs to put a stop to it. That and Wall Street boosting the price of oil for no reason.

Comments are closed.