Bunnies 101: What You Need To Know Before Owning A Rabbit

By Susan Richard, 1010 WINS

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — There’s a lot of buzz about bunnies this year.

It’s the Chinese Year of the Rabbit, after all, and the Easter season has arrived.  But animal control specialists recommend you consider and weigh the options before bringing a rabbit into your home.

Animal Care & Control of New York receives at least 200 bunnies a year, which is an incredible amount of rabbits for a city environment,” said Executive Director Julie Bank.

In most cases, Bank added, these rabbits have been abandoned by people who purchased the animal at a pet store without being fully prepared for the responsibility.

Even worse, she said, is that some of these unwanted rabbits are being dumped in parks by people who think they can survive on their own, when in fact domestic rabbits cannot.

In 2004, Animal Care & Control teamed up with Rabbit Rescue & Rehab,  a partner in the Mayor’s Alliance for New York City’s Animals “New Hope” program.  New Hope  involves more than 150 private rescue groups, which have been critical in reducing the euthanasia rate of all types of animals in the city shelters, by taking the at risk ones into their care.

But this is not to dissuade you from bringing a rabbit into your life.

Rabbits make great pets for the right families, and to assist you in making a decision, 1010WINS’ Susan Richard got the scoop on basic rabbit care from Rabbit Rescue & Rehab’s Cindy Stutts.

Learn from Stutts and find out more about rabbit adoption from Julie Bank in the latest edition of All For Animals.

(Please note: The information provided in this video is not meant to replace professional Veterinary care for your pet.  In addition, Animal Care & Control of New York notes that it is important for rabbit owners to always wire proof your home, as many bunnies stop eating because they have burns in their mouths from eating wires. Frayed wires can also cause fires. To check out the adoptable rabbits from ACC please visit nycacc.org.)

Join Susan’s Facebook page!

Join the All For Animals Facebook page!

Comments

1. Emily Davidson says:

I have 2 rabbits named Thumper(First and male) and Arrow(2nd and female) They have this huge $700 cage me ans my daddy built and I’m only 11 and boyyy do I know alot about rabbits! Thier cahe has a wire floor(I know its bad) but we have wood in the back and my LARGE Weimarner loves them like the only way she wolud hurt them is by licking them to death! And they are sperated with a middle devider so NO BABIES! I have got to take them to the vet this month and the groomers! Arrow is just a big little mix and Thumper is a full bolded Dutch! They are both sooo sweet and I keep them on a balanced diet of Rabbit pellets( forti-diet for adlut rabbits) umm tons of hay, ummm a salad every other night(with tiny chunks of Granny Smith Apples,and lots of clover and alllllllll my love(the most important!)

2. Susan Richard says:

PLEASE NOTE THIS IMPORTANT MESSAGE:

Animal Care & Control of New York notes that it is important for rabbit owners to always wire proof your home, as many bunnies stop eating because they have burns in their mouths from eating wires. Frayed wires can also cause fires. To check out the adoptable rabbits from ACC please visit http://www.nycacc.org

3. Kevin says:

Adopt a rabbit like Linda said…
    They should regulate these pet stores.

Someone dropped 6 full grown rabbits on our street last week. Fortunately, we found all of them before the fisher and coyotes did and are now offering for adoption…

1. B says:

feed stores should be regulated also.

Craigslist is full of dumb people wanting to get rid of their bunny after a few months because ‘it went into being a teenager.’ DUH, if you do your research, bunnies need to be spayed and neutered too!

It just sickens me.. and also the “I’m moving and I can’t take my bunny with me.” How about leaving YOUR KIDS then?

4. Linda says:

If you do your research and then decide that you want a bunny – please visit your local shelter or rabbit rescue and save a life from there. Please do not BUY rabbits….which only encourages breeders to keep breeding. There are so many abandoned every year…it starts 6-8 weeks after Easter every year.

By adopting, you are actually saving 2 lives. The one of the bunny you adopt….and the one of another bunny, who will now be able to take the place of the one you adopted, making room for a new one.

I am a slave to 4 bunnies and consider them my furkids. Love them with all my heart.

1. Susan Richard says:

Amen Linda!! Hopefully folks will watch the video and be moved to adopt from a shelter. And thanks for being such a great pet parent!

5. Nancy says:

I learned a lot about bunnies simply by owning a few. I recommend researching the breed that you want before a purchase. I learned that lop eared bunnies are more mellow. Also, I was surprised to learn how much their cages needed cleaning, and surprised to learn that you need to take care of their front teeth, and that carrots are not the best food for them. There’s a lot you need to know to properly take care of bunnies.

1. B says:

I disagree about personality based on breed. I think all rabbits are different and should not be generalized based on breed🙂

6. BUBBY says:

“Its the Chineese year of the Bunny” What HOGWASH! there is no word in Chineese for BUNNY, it the bloody YEAR OF THE RABBIT!

1. Susan Richard says:

Please read the article again. It says Chinese Year of the Rabbit, not bunny. Thanks!

7. ChrisnSheila Gredzinski says:

I remember a woman who had bunnies kept in a cardboard box, exposed to her dogs who had no idea. two sets of bunnies torn to shreds one Easter season. it’s a life, not a toy!

Comments are closed.