Will New York Get An Official State Dog?

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — New York appears to have everything but there’s one thing it doesn’t have — a state dog.

1010 WINS’ Stan Brooks reports: Every Dog Has His Day

state dog announcement Will New York Get An Official State Dog?

A couple of rescue dogs join lawmakers at City Hall during the announcement of a proposal calling for an official New York State dog (credit: Stan Brooks/1010)

Assemblymembers Micah Kellner and Linda Rosenthal are proposing that adopted shelter and “rescue” dogs become the official state canine.

“The reason why it’s the rescue dog is because the rescue dog fits with New York so perfectly,” Kellner said. “New Yorkers are scrappy just like rescue dogs, we often both have a bone to pick and a lot of us are mutts. So, this is a perfect fit.”

New York already has an official animal, insect, fish and even a shell. Kellner and Robach are hoping the Empire State will join others, such as Pennsylvania and Massachussestts, in adopting a state dog.

The two lawmakers will be joined by animal rescuers and a pooch named Sarge Wolf Stringer, who was rescued in 2009 after 14 years of abuse, in announcing the proposal at a news conference at City Hall on Thursday.

The politicians said their proposal could help promote the adoption and care of over 12,000 dogs currently in City shelters.

“Ninety percent of these dogs are healthy, treatable and just in need of a loving home. They’re the most loyal pets you can have,” Kellner said. “It’s time that we throw these dogs a bone.”

What do you think of the lawmakers’ proposal? Let us know below

More from Stan Brooks In Memoriam
Comments

1. Vet Barnes says:

The Rescue dogs that searched for victims through the rubble of the Twin Towers, through the smoke and fire who gave their lives to find the victims of that horrible explosion. Those are the dogs that should be honored not rescue dogs that are here due to just running wild.
    The Real Rescue dogs are Border Collies, Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds, Airdale Terrier, Beauceron, Bloodhound, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, Belgian Tervurens and Belgian Malinois. You know the dogs you tried to ban from the great city of New York. These are the dogs that deserved to be the state dog of New York. How about Dorado a golden lab who led his blind master down from the 71st floor in time to get out of the building before it collapsed. These are the dogs that gave their lives for our loved ones on 911. Shame on you for ignoring those animals that truly work for the betterment of all dogs and human beings.

* “Anna” Atlas (1997-2002) – German Shepherd
    * “Sirius” Lim (1997-2001) – Yellow Lab
    * “Cholo” Reitz (1994-2004) – German Shepherd
    * “Louie” Rising (1994-2004 – Golden Retrevier
    * “Riley” Roemer (1996-2005) – Golden Retrevier
    “Kali” Peine Rottweiler May 4, 1999 to December 20, 2005
    * “NiCad Batteries Rechargeable” Shane(1994-2003) Golden Retrevier
    * “Bear” Shields (1990-2002)
    * “Jenner” Wichmann (1992-2004)- Black lab
    * “Jason” Wolff (1992-2004) – German Shepherd
    * “Thor” Zintsmaster (1990-2004)- German Shepherd

2. Mary Jane says:

I think it’s a great idea, to have A STATE DOG. I suggest the PITBULL, because that breed is an UNDERDOG, they are very sweet and loving, by nature. Unfortunately, many people mistreat them, and train them for fighting. The pitbull is a strong dog and a survivor (like Patrick, that was recued recently). The PITBULL reminds me of NEW YORKERS, STRONG, with SURVIVAL INSTINCTS. If not, then the GERMAN SHEPHARD for its ELEGANCE.

1. Emily says:

I agree with you Mary Jane! Well said!

2. Richard Templeton says:

I Agree also The underdog would be a great State Dog.

3. Richard says:

Narcissists should reconsider before acquiring an animal, let alone offspring. But if endlessly pasting bland quotes on a minor newsthread gives them a sense of achievement, better that than making a companion animal miserable for life.

4. Rodin says:

Thanks, Faux Rodin, for the opportunity to spread the Dogspel according to Woof.

Ovr and out. Tamarrah’s another day. New challenges ahead. This one’s done and dead.

1. MARGE says:

this is a sick statement

5. Rodin says:

GILDA RADNER

”I think Dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive.”

6. Rodin says:

WILL ROGERS

“I love a Dog. He does nothing for political reasons.”

7. Rodin says:

“From the Dog’s point of view, his master is an elongated
    and abnormally cunning Dog.”
    WILL ROGERS

“If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s Dog around.”

8. Rodin says:

JEAN SCHINTO

“Dogs are not people dressed up in fur coats
    and to deny them their nature is to do them great harm.”

9. Rodin says:

MARY ANN
    (age 8)

“Love is when your Puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day.”

10. Rodin says:

RICHARD DAWKINS
    British ethologist, zoologist, Neo-Darwinian evolutionary biologist and theorist and popular science author
    (b. 1941)

“It’s all nonsense to say that you can’t love a dog as much as you love a human.”

11. Rodin says:

ST. BERNARD
    DE CLAIRVAUX
    Cistercian monk, Doctor of the Church and advocate of the Crusades
    1091-1153

“Who loves me loves my Dog.”

12. Rodin says:

DOROTHY PARKER
    American humorist
    (1893–1967)

“Why, that dog is practically a Phi Beta Kappa. She can sit up and beg, and she can give her paw – I don’t say she will, but she can.”

13. Rodin says:

IAN NIALL

“The relationship between man and Dog can often be as complex as that between man and woman.”

14. Rodin says:

This one’s better.

ROBERT M. PIRSIG

“When a shepherd goes to kill a Wolf, and takes his Dog along to see the sport, he should take care to avoid mistakes. The Dog has certain relationships to the Wolf the shepherd may have forgotten.”

15. Rodin says:

WILL ROGERS

“No man can be condemed for owning a Dog. As long as he has a Dog, he has a friend; and the poorer he gets, the better friend he has.”

16. stephan says:

Who’s the brunet in the black shirt ( wink wink)

17. robert carozza says:

really?! as much as i love dogs and i am a dog owner “cane corso” i think we should be solving other problems like gas prices and jobs etc etc yknow, like things that pay the bills

18. Joe says:

Why do we need to waste time adn money on this nonsense? No wonder this state is so messed up. Can we also get a state cat, a state hamster maybe a state moron to add to it all.

1. Rodin says:

LEWIS SABIN

“No matter how little money and how few possesions you own,
      having a Dog makes you rich.”

19. sawney bean says:

Pit bulls are great with kids. They can tear them apart in just seconds. Certain dogs are more prone to violence than other dogs. That is why pit bulls are used in dog fighting. Grow up.

They’ve been bred for generations to be violent, if there was a concerted effort of pit bull owners to breed more docile pets that might be something different, but that will take decades.. The English Bulldog was a vicious dog, but it has been bred to much more docile. If pit bull owners want to start doing something, instead of just whining, they can establish a breeding program.

20. Michael says:

Yea, and it should be a bulldog playing Poker!!! And while you’re at it bring back online gambling for New York!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Tom Plesser says:

What about the pitbull. They are wonderful companions. They are great with kids and all they want is love. Spend some time with one and you will be convinced.

1. Mary Jane says:

I agrre, I also sugested the PITBULL, they are STRONG, great SURVIVAL INSTINCTS, LOVING and MISUNDERSTOOD, just LIKE NEW YORKERS!

22. iggy says:

now if the state could only afford a pot for it to go in.

23. RR says:

How exactly does this help shelter dogs? People are aware of shelters already.

1. Rodin says:

People forget.

24. Ordean says:

I divorced 3 wives but kept my dogs

1. Mary Jane says:

LOL, a good one!

25. PIKE says:

Assemblymembers Micah Kellner and Linda Rosenthal…

WAKE UP and GET TO WORK.
    Stop this trivial insignificant time wasting acts.

1. Rodin says:

”Saving one Dog won’t change the world but it will change the world for that one Dog.” – Anonymous

26. lorene says:

Our tax dollars at work.

1. foglifter says:

Sorry, how much money is being wasted here? If this act makes more people aware of the option of adopting dogs from shelters or Animal Care and Control, which is run on your tax dollars, then it could actually save money, and lives, in the long run…quit trying to make everything a stupid ‘budget’ issue…you want to cut spending, end the ‘wars’ in Iraq or Afganistan, stop giving corporations tax breaks, stop subsidizing fossil fuel…this is hardly going to affect anyones budget.

1. Rodin says:

And save trillions!

27. eric albert says:

How about the much maligned pit bull and pit bull type dogs? It would be good to show them in a positive light.

1. Rina says:

I completely agree with you! Not only does a pit bulls personality similarize most new yorks, but its a great way to end the repuatation on this great breed!

28. Rodin says:

Moron #3 has entered the race.

EXPECT MORE!

29. Rodin says:

Don’t u love it when @holes (me, por exemplo) take anonymous news ‘comment’ postings seriously?

1. Rodin says:

Rodin, me, didn’t write this. That much is clear. Chances are this is really from jerseyjoey. I already warned you about the jerk. I wish CBS filtered better. But in any case, I believe spotlights should focus on jerks, not ignore them.

I take Dogs seriously. There’s nothing funny about the abuse they suffer or the thousands killed in “shelters” for lack of caretakers willing to adopt.

Let me explain HOW SERIOUS. This is my judicial philosophy.

You hurt me or my family or my property, I’ll patiently wait for the justice system to work its way to retribution. But laws protecting Dogs are grossly lopsided. Michael Vicks is back in the limelight making millions after after abusing and killing who knows how many animals. He should be behind bars. He should be banned from football for life for gambling.

So, you hurt one of my Dogs…, YOU’RE DEAD.

I don’t ever threaten. I act.

2. Shaquasia Lennon says:

Rodin,

You so crazy.

1. Rodin says:

“Crazy” is good. I hope you mean that as a compliment.

‘Crazy’ has also helped a lot of animals.

Had the creator stopped at Dogs, creation would have been perfect. But arrogance led him to create ‘man’ in his own image and likeness, to wreak havoc on all creation.

Then, I believe in Dogs … and that there is no god.

30. Rodin says:

@rsewhole #2 has spoken. The race for the most asinine comment has now officially begun.

BTW, this guy’s a real gem, idiocy personified. He gets stupider by the post.

31. Rodin says:

“If you can’t decide between a Shepherd, a Setter or a Poodle, get them all …, adopt a mutt!” – ASPCA

32. Wait a minute... says:

…I thought Snookie was the state dog?

1. Rodin says:

Some people just can’t wait to be the first @rsewhole to comment.

“The more I see of men, the more I admire Dogs.”
      ~ JEANNE-MARIE ROLAND
      French revolutionary of the Girondin faction
      (1754 – 1793)

33. Cat Hater says:

That’s like saying “Birds that fly” will be the official state bird. Make the state dog a Pit Bull. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. kostik says:

That’s my first thought, too.

2. Michael H. says:

Not all birds can fly…

1. Rodin says:

Kudos!!!

(8•[D=}

34. Jennifer Vaughan Paquette says:

This is a fantastic proposal — it would make me proud to be a New Yorker! It would bring much-needed awareness to how many homeless dogs that need all of our help, and how rescues make fantastic great family members.

35. Rodin says:

Whatever helps the cause of rescues, shelters and adoptions, I’m for. Kudos, Micah Kellner and Linda Rosenthal. I will contact my Assembly rep immediately and ask for her support.

See SCOOP & HOWL Canine not for profit newsletter at

36. Maria P says:

Shelter dogs rule! I adopted my little Buckaroo 2 years ago and he is the love of my life, my little man. I hope they choose a loving and deserving dog.

37. f says: