Family Hopes To Find 12-Year-Old’s Custom Dance Dress

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — There’ve been plenty of stories of people being reunited with lost musical instruments or valuables left in taxis, and an upstate family is hoping it’s their turn.

Elle McGinnity was in town March 26 and 27 for an Irish dance competition, but in the confusion of checking out of the Millenium Hotel and rushing to Penn Station to catch a train back to Rochester, her dress was left behind.

1010 WINS’ Terry Sheridan reports.

The 12-year-old’s ornate dress either didn’t make it onto a cab, or was left in the trunk. The family is hoping a Good Samaritan will reunite them with the $2,000 dress made custom overseas.

“The overall dress was Navy-blue but it had pink trim intricately embroidered, as well as sequined with Swarovski crystals and gems to make it sparkle and glitter while she dances on the floor,” said Patrick McGinnity, Elle’s father.

Elle got the dress from England the day before the competition.

“I designed it myself so it’s probably my most favorite thing in the world,” Elle said. “I loved it though.”

Anyone with any information is asked to send an email to lostdress@hotmail.com.

Comments

1. dawn says:

I have a daughter that irish dances and the dresses do get costly. It does seem to get out of hand however it usually only gets to that level when the dancer has achieved a certain level. Unfortunately the “fnacy dress” is part of the level. I agree with the expense but that should not be the focus; a girl has lost her dress and the focus should be to reunite her with it!

2. gg says:

sddsfe..learn to speak English u moron..

3. Nix says:

Wow, Kendra, can’t you read?? She lost it while checking OUT…so she had it for the competition. Maybe you should be hoping and praying for some literacy skills.

Jack – I agree. I have competed in sports (equestrian) in the past. My parents never spent that kind of money on me, always stressing that skill is worth more than appearance. It was a hard lesson to learn when I was young and competing on an older horse against flashy, $10,000+ horses, but at the end of the day, I knew I was actually riding and learning, whereas the “rich girls” were just sitting on push button horses.

4. nekid says:

Didn’t she noticed that she was naked?

5. jack says:

This is sad. My wife is from Ireland. When she was growing up – not so long ago – people in Ireland did not have the money for such dresses; many wouldn’t now. I have been to Ireland over a dozen times and have never seen any sort of dress such as this one used in a competition there. To spend $2000 on a dress for a child’s dance competition really says something sad about our country and our warped sense of values. I hope the dress finds its way to some needy child in South America or Africa. A dancer with true talent does not need a fancy dress.

1. nj says:

I agree with Jack money that is spent like that on nonsense klike a dress for a 12 yr old . parents must be crazy ,I hope the dress gets given to someone who really needs a proper dress to wear .

1. Linda Stanley Sewell says:

This type of costume isn’t suitable for everyday wear…that’s why it’s called a “costume.” If the parents can afford it, and their family’s priorities are in-line with this type of purchase, who are any of us to tell them that they shouldn’t provide a special garment for their daughter. There are many activities that allow for this type of expenditure for coaching, tools and instruments, etc., and most of the time the activity brings the family together for fun times and shared memories. Next, let’s talk about the cost of a wedding dress…

6. kendra says:

I AM REALLY HOPING AND PRAYING THAT SHE FINDS THAT DRESS IN TIME OF THE DANCE OR SHE MIGHT MISS IT..AND THAT IS GOING TO BE VERY SAD FOR HER CAUSE ITS ALWAYS GOOD TO KEEP TRATION ALIVE FROM OTHER COUNTRIES TO SHOW THAT YOU ARE A PROUD GROUP OF PEOPLE..

Comments are closed.