Police: UES Burglary Victims Left Doors Unlocked

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) – Police said the six victims of the string of burglaries in the Upper East Side all left their doors unlocked.

With the doors unlocked, the perpetrator, who police describe as a 40- to 45-year-old black male approximately 6-foot-2-inches, simply walks in and robs residents of their property, including jewelry.

While the neighbors are on edge, not all of them are as careful as cops would like.

“I leave my door unlocked all the time,” neighbor Heather said. “I have two dogs. When I walk the bulldog that doesn’t go more than a block, I always leave the door unlocked.”

Police said an unlocked door is just an open invitation for someone to rob you.

Neighbor Lauren said she’s been very careful.

“My mother’s taught me that from a very young age. She’s very anal about that kind of stuff, especially in a city like this where stuff happens on every block. You should definitely keep your doors locked,” she said.

Police said residents must be mindful of a simple precaution like locking the door and also be aware of possible burglars who will try to get in through impersonating deliverymen.

That’s how police arrested one man who they say got into apartment buildings by ringing in and saying he was with UPS. Upon getting buzzed into apartment buildings in SoHo and the West Village, he robbed residents of their property.

Have you ever had problems with leaving your doors unlocked? Tell us in our comments section below.

Comments

1. kendra says:

I REALLY DON,T RECCOMEND THAT TO ANY1 OR ANYBODY CAUSE THAT COULD A VERY DANGROUS THING IN THIS TIME AND AGE…I STILL CLOSE MY DOOR EVEN IF I AM GOING TO THE MAILBOX…JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE…

2. Catherine Russo says:

do not let anyone in, even if they say the word (cops)…..call down to the nearest precinct and ask if and why any cops are by your door. Also lock the door with a key. I see where I live these young smarties just (SLAM) the door and leaver. Also do not get into your elevator with just anyone, if you do not know them, just go away and make believe you are getting your mail.

Happy Easter………..

3. Barry says:

This burglar saw an opportunity in a city overrun by people from Idaho, Michigan, Illinois, and other boon dock states, and he took advantage of it. What’s happening to the native New Yorkers is a lot sadder. They lock their doors always but it won’t stop more midwestern hicks from coming here to eject them from their apartments by offering 10+ x’s the rent they’re paying. GOOD FOR ‘EM!!

4. nathan says:

This is my nabe. I pity this guy if I run into him.

5. UESer says:

I left the door open during my Passover Seder, last year. The Prophet Elijah entered, partook of my wine, and left. The only theft was that of the afikomen, and I paid a heavy price for that inside job.

6. HooDatIS? says:

POOKIE BRING ME BACK MY EBT CARD AND FLAT SCREEN, U BE TRIPPIN U LIT COKE HEAD, MAMA TOLE ME NOT TRUST U
    VISIT MY BLOG

7. Ellen says:

Never leave doors unlock for God sakes. That’s just asking for it.

8. M,Robie McMann says:

A lot of people Tenants in “the Montana” leave their door open
    they think the big front desk doorman protect them,that is foolish
    as people that the doormen let in do the burglaries like service
    people and messengers ,they just use th elevator to go on another floor.
    Nice to have money and think you are safe though even if it is an illusion.

Comments are closed.