SOUND OFF: Tell Us Your Reaction To Osama Bin Laden’s Death

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – It was news New Yorkers had been waiting almost 10 long years for: Osama bin Laden is dead.

The terrorist leader was shot dead by U.S. Navy SEALs at his compound in Pakistan, where officials said he was hiding in a million-dollar Abbotabad mansion.

Jubilant New Yorkers spontaneously took to the streets at Ground Zero and Times Square Sunday night, waving American flags and chanting “U-S-A! U-S-A.!” It was an unusual moment for the otherwise solemn Ground Zero site: in moments, it became the site of celebration as people began singing the national anthem.

WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell With The Emotional Overnight Crowd At Ground Zero

Cliff Lichter, who works in Jersey City, can’t look at the skyline of Lower Manhattan without thinking back to September 11, 2001.

“I saw that they were flying and I saw the second plane crash and it was unbelievable. Still think about it all the time,” he told CBS 2’s Kristin Thorne.

Lichter, however, has found a certain sense of peace about the the tragedy with the death of bin Laden.

“It shows that the United States finally got the job done,” Lichter said.

However, New Yorkers instinctively knew that one man’s death did not suddenly make the world a safe place.

“It’s more than just Osama, it’s a whole group of people that we have to be afraid of,” Vanessa Gil of Long Island told CBS 2′ Don Dahler.

“I think it’s going to get worse. I don’t think that just because you killed him that it’s taking away the problem,” Dana Laven said.

In Brooklyn Heights, people also remembered that fateful day when the view from their windows changed forever.

“I just think something’s missing. It’s sort of the…something you’ve always lived with and all of a sudden, it was gone that day,” one resident said.

SEE: Fresh Aerial Photos Of Ground Zero From Chopper 880

Hundreds gathered at Ground Zero following the news. Megan Horan was 13 on September 11, 2001, and had just started high school a few blocks away from Ground Zero.

“It just makes me remember the day, that’s all. When I walk down here normally, I don’t feel any strong emotions,” Horan said, sobbing.

1010 WINS’ John Montone reports: Tears Of Joy At Ground Zero

“It’s good for the world. We took the head off the snake, so to speak,” James Vigliatora said. “It’s a beautiful day to be an American.”

“I remember being 17 and saying, ‘I’ll never forget’ and I’ve never forgotten,” one woman said. “The face of my world changed. I was so relieved. There’s so many people who have been working night and day to find one person and they found him. It’s a positive sign and we’re making progress.”

Sean Sheehan, who comes from a family of firefighters and lost his cousin on 9/11, came to Ground Zero from Rockville Centre the moment he heard the news of bin Laden’s death.

WCBS 880’s Marla Diamond: A New Chapter Begins At Ground Zero

“Before, we were all together for despair and tragedy, now we’re together in unison over a joyful time where someone who caused this pain got what he deserved,” Sheehan said.

“I’m elated. It’s a great victory for the United States and for the civilized world,” Debra Burlingame, co-founder of Families For A Safe and Strong America, told WCBS 880 reporter Peter Haskell.

Burlingame, who lost her pilot brother, Charles, when American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon,  said the terror threat does not disappear with bin Laden’s death.

WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell With Debra Burlingame

“This is the close of a very big chapter,” Burlingame said. “It doesn’t end it but it’s a great relief.”

Families of the victims of 9/11 have felt a jumble of emotions following the death of bin Laden.

“I just never thought that this kind of closure was in the cards for me. I never thought that we would get justice,” Stacy Pelosi, whose father died at the World Trade Center, said.

1010 WINS’ Juliet Papa reports: 9/11 Families Feel Shock And Relief

Ann Ielpi lost her 29-year-old son, Jonathan, a New York City firefighter who died responding to the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.

She said bin Laden is “burning in hell right now.”

Katherine Wolf, a classical pianist, died in the Sept. 11 attacks at the World Trade Center just weeks after starting a job with Marsh & McLennan. Her husband, Charles, said he never lost hope that bin Laden would be found.

“We beat them at their own game. We didn’t give up. 10 years,” Wolf said. “This man’s evil energy has been taken off of our planet and God is going to throw his soul into the depths of hell.”

WCBS 880’s Steve Scott With Former Taliban Hostage And Current CBS News Analyst Jere Van Dyk
(Download the full interview HERE)

For John Cartier, who lost his brother James in the Twin Towers, bin Laden’s death is bittersweet.

“It’s an emotional roller coaster,” Cartier said. “Him being dead saves other people but it doesn’t bring my brother back. Closure is not the right word for us. Justice is a politician’s word. So this is all about revenge, revenge for the man who murdered my brother.”

Many tears have been shed at Ground Zero over the past decade but Monday morning the site was filled with tears of joy.

“I saw a lot of people really happy that a murderer is dead; someone who took too many lives and lasted too long to get taken care of. He’s gone now,” one man said. “I am so proud of our men and women in uniform.”

WCBS 880’s Steve Knight At FDNY Engine Company 6 Station 49 on Beekman Street

“On Sept. 11 this country changed forever and being here this morning gives me hope and belief that we will be that same country we were before Sept. 11,” Bryan Mannix, of Rockville Centre, said.

One person climbed a street sign on Church and Vesey street, waving an American flag.

1010 WINS’ Steve Sandberg reports: Witnessing History At Ground Zero

A similar scene played out in Times Square, with some celebrating bin Laden’s death by carrying posters.

“It’s really a terrific day for not just America but for the world. To have this cancer pulled from us is the right thing,” said Guy Madsen, 49, who drove to the city from Clifton, N.J., when he heard of bin Laden’s death. “This is judgment day, and we’re winning.”

RELATED: Graphic Photos Of Bin Laden’s Death

What’s your reaction to Osama bin Laden’s death? Sound off in our comments section.

More from Peter Haskell
Comments

1. story says:

Mess with the bull and you will get the horn,

2. Corrupt-O-Crats says:

It’s Bush’s fault !!!!! Just blame Bush !!!!!

1. Rodin says:

Who else?

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED… at long last!

3. A real poor Indian says:

Ya it’s good he’s a goner. But now you americans have to concentrate on earning money again. My business is suffering because you are so freaking bankrupt.

1. Corrupt-O-Crats says:

Well if you had half a brain you wouldn’t put all of your eggs in one basket …

DIVERSIFY !!!!!!!!

4. JPH says:

I LOST MANY FRIENDS SINCE 1979, TRAINING FOR A MISSION LIKE THIS.
    MAY THEIR SEOULS REST IN PEACE NOW.
    JUST AN OLD HELO PILOT WHO SERVED THIS GREAT COUNTRY FOR 27 YEARS.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

5. jayson says:

People are tired of Islam and the leaders of Islam wanting followers to live as though it’s 400 A.D. That’s evident by all the unrest in the middle east.

People are also tired of their leaders taking oil monies that belong to an entire nation and living in palaces while the common man struggles to eat.

1. Rodin says:

I’m tired of Christians and the leaders of the religious right wanting followers to live as though it’s 400 A.D.

Actually,I’m fed up and tired of religion and the leaders of ALL RELIGIONS wanting EVERYONE to live ACCORDING TO THEM.

Good without god.

6. Carluchi says:

Bid Laden hated Americans there can be no denying this however, he was not responsible for the 9/11 attacks. Trust me, I am no conspiracy freak but Bid Laden was nothing more than patsy much same situation like Lee Harvey Oswald they performed certain tasks for the CIA and afterwards used to cover the real conspirators than dispensed of. Frankly, I find it very difficult to even believe it took the most powerful nation in the world with unlimited (recourses billion’s dollars of tax payers money) ten years to find him? As ex-navy seal Jessie Ventura says, this whole story with 9/11 and Bin Laden stinks like rotten fish!

1. Ditto says:

Absolutely! You’re right on target! It should never had taken 10 years.

Obama probably didn’t even call the strike. It was in military hands. But he’s taking credit now for reelection purposes.

I voted Obama but now consider myself an independant. I would vote tea party.

Obama shakes hands with the militant Muslim/ Islamists and is destroying America.

7. Onyedika Nwalutu says:

Whoever lives by the sword must end by same irrespective of your race, belief and background. It is only a question of time. But will the world remember?

8. OSAMBAMA says:

Anybody who killed by evil sword will die by the good sword. OBAMA the good one killed Osama the bad one. Praise God!

1. Rodin says:

I assume this means OBAMA will die by the sword. The Bible, YOUR Bible doesn’t distinguish between swords, good or bad.

Go to your room, study your scriptures and
      KEEP YOUR FAITHS OUT OF MY FACE.

9. i a butt says:

I hope they start with work on that prized commercial lot in the heart of city they had left for so long……..Politics and politics……what I pity most is poor Afghanistan which will be left to rot once again…..

10. Dave Frieder says:

Today Bin Laden. Tomorrow the rest of Al Qeada!

11. CHETAN PRAKASH says:

ITS ALL POLITICS. AMERICA NEEDED THE OIL RESERVES SO THEY CARRIED SO MANY ACTIONS IN MIDDLE EAST. THE TRUTH IS OSAMA BIN LADEN WAS CREATED BY US GOVT AND ENDED BY US GOVT ‘ONLY IN PAPERS’. “HE WILL BE ENJOYING SOMEWHERE IN THAILAND WITH IS SHAVED BEARD, A PAJAMA AND A HAWAIAN SHIRT”

THINK –

WE NEVER HEARD ABOUT OSAMA BEFORE 9/11

WE NEVER WITNESSED ANY BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS AT IRAQ

WE DONT HAVE ANY REASON WHY US WAS FUNDING PAKISTAN FOR ANTI TERROSRISM CAMPAIGN WHEN PAKISTAN NEVER TOOK ANY ACTION ON THEM.

WE DID NOT SEE OSAMA DEAD BODY LIVE.

AND BY WHEN AMERICA STARTED RESPECTING OTHER RELIGIONS.

DONT GET FOOLED.

12. Micki Merrill says:

I think it is a good thing. this man needed to be punshided for what happen at the Twin Towers, The Penagon, and in Penn. 3,000 people died that day and what for, all for the reason of a mad man….

13. Beazer says:

I really cannot jump for joy here. SADLY, TRAGICALLY & DESTRUCTIVELY FOR THE USA, this locks in Bamboy’s second term 😦

1. Mason says:

Who you calling boy? boy…..

14. jerrett says:

its only a matter of time till they choose someone else to take his place. and wondering what the repercutions are gonna be for this

15. phil says:

What next, Mr. Donald Trump? Will you now ask President Obama, “”Show me the death certificate”?!

16. Ed Clay says:

Some people just need killing. I am all for the CIA and other agencies utilizing termination packages for these scumbags. American first and always!!!!!!!

17. allazay says:

I don’t know,need to see pictures of dead body, buried at sea seems to be too good for him.

18. irfan says:

I think you are angry with a mad man…… but acting half madly against a faith with a following of more than billion people ,who I am sure don’t subscribe to your sick views anyway.

19. Franke Willy says:

BuLL-$#@!

Got to Love US government/Pentagon propaganda hehehehe
    To boost US morale at home LOL Yes they killed Obama Bin laden LOL

20. Bob Decker says:

I feel the same as when a hit team takes out Bush and his entire family. Another terrorist will be dead. When 9/11 occured we had a chance to take a look at our terrorist actions around the world and our support of the evil Israelies but instead we became even more evil and stepped up our terrorist activities. What goes around comes around. Our current wars have nothing to do with freedom or defense of the USA its only about power and money for our rich . The rich that the american government serves. Osama was a better man then Bush that’s for sure.

21. Ed Clay says:

First things first. Thanks to all of those who go in harms way to protect us. Air Force, Army, Marines, Navy, and Coast Guard. Thanks to the police officers and fire fighters who race to danger so we do not suffer. Now, I certainly wish Vlad (commonly known as Dracula) The Impaler was still around. We could use his services for the rest of these terrorist SOB’s.
    Terrorist beware, you will get yours. You may get some of us but we will get all of you and there is no 72 virgins nor eternal reward for you. Your home will be hell, fire, and brimestone. You deserve nothing less. Bin Laden will be there stoking the fires just for you.

22. Michael says:

All I can say is it’s about time. Anytime a terrorist like bin Laden is killed or brought to justice the world rejoices. You cannot feel sorry for his death. He openly stated he wanted American and western civilians killed wherever they were found, he openly declared war on the west. And last night he paid the price for declaring war.

I won’t shed one tear for him. He got what he deserved.

23. diane says:

Great News. Two things bother me. 1) Does this mean that we will be stuck with Obama for another 4 years because HE will claim this victory?
    2) How will they retaliate?

24. jm says:

ALL I have to say is “Thank the Lord he brought one down to hell!!!” We can’t bring our losses back but the EVIL of the EVIL is down. Hope many more follow!!!!

25. ricky says:

for some reason something is not adding up in the story no pic’s of the body we dont know when this happened and all of a sudden your going to have a “proper burial” for some due who was an animal something is just not right here

26. Bubba the Brave says:

He didn’t have anything to do with 9/11 and he died in December 2011. Benazir Bhutto mentioned that she personally knew people who had attended his funeral. That was just a few weeks before Western intelligence blew Mrs. Bhutto to Kingdom Come. THE SHOW MUST GO ON.

1. Ed Clay says:

Bubba the clueless is more like it. Western Intelligence did not blow her up, and she did not attend Bin Ladens funeral. He was not dead!!!! I suppose you would not believe anything our govenment reported. Do you wear lightening bolts, jack boots, and spout white power slogans? Do you hide behind a hood?
      No, you are an elitiest who thinks you are smarter than everyone, know everything, and no once counts but you. I know your kind. Zealot!

27. Ed Clay says:

I just wish it had been me to pull the trigger. I think tho it would have been better to keep him alive and torture hiim to the point of death everyday for years and years. I would have volunteered for that duty. It is wonderful that the murderer’s death has finally happened but to bad he did not suffer unthinkable pain before he expired. Oh, hell has a special place for this satanic sob.

28. Peter says:

bin laden had said he attacked us because we kept bases in Saudi Arabia for years after we won Gulf War I. I guess he didn’t want infidels hanging around so long. We should close overseas bases we don’t need to keep. It also saves money.

29. Destroyer says:

This one man might have been their figure head, but the core belief does not change. He can die, but other heads will sprout. Kill the body, and heads cannot grow.

30. Tim McMahon says:

Buried at sea? convenient ploy? or is he really dead?

31. FairyTales says:

It is also being reported that the easter bunny was the main shooter on the team. Santa claus was about to be converted right before the shooting.

32. Trishe says:

He had such a dark and evil soul, but I can’t celebrate the death of human. Plus, I do not want to lower myself to his or his followers level/standards. So, for me, he is dead and life moves on.

33. dee says:

if there is not a body to be seen then i do not believe he is dead . how convient that he was killed in a fiery raid then his body wound up in the sea come on.

1. Rodin says:

Birthir! Go tell it to The Donald.

1. rkdres says:

what does the term “birther” have to do with anything you dingleberry? So now no one is allowed to question any of these ridiculous claims by the US Gov and media? Somewhere there is a rock begging for you to crawl under it.

34. jekr says:

I think Adolf Hitler also died in the same day and announce dead in the same day 5/1/1945

1. Trishe says:

that’s too erie..

35. I survived WTC as a FF says:

I am not condoning the death of anyone, but, I will say this: I did wake up to a brighter day. The sun seems to be shining a little bit brighter, the birds are singing a little bit louder and the world seems, somehow, a little bit safer for my children. Thank a soldier!

36. Bernie Sanders says:

YAY !!!!! AND A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO THE GUYS WHO GOT HIM ! GOD BLESS AMERICA ~

1. Rodin says:

There you go with your damned gods! Don’t you get it that it was all their dcoing, YOUR GOD against THEIR GOD?

KEEP YOUR FAIYHS OUT OF MY FACE!

1. Rodin says:

Errata:

faiThs

37. None Of Your Business says:

Good riddance, Osama, baby. And I hope the U.S. bombs all those Arab terrorists to Hell where they all belong.

However, regarding the body, the Hell with Muslim burial customs, who cares about their ridiculous customs, such as the Taliban killing men whose beards are not the right length–we should have brought the body to the U.S. and put it up on display so everyone could see that we really got the Devil himself.

38. Rodin says:

There IS one in every crowd. Crawl back under your rock, cretin. The rest of us will celebrate without you..

39. 4orieplmer says:

This death won’t solve unemployment,economy woes, health-care,liberals vs conservatives, democrats vs republicans, gas prices, bullying, or trumpeting Trump,however, there is an amount of satisfaction which I don’t know whether to acknowledge loudly or silently consider. This death won’t mend any broken hearts for those who lost their loved ones in terrorist actions, but there is a small, small piece of peace at this death.

40. Gerry Graves says:

22 Dec 2010 Dont ask dont tell is repealed, May 1 2011 we killed Osama. You decide.

41. brooklyn4ever says:

It is an amazing day, but the only problem people is that the terror cell is still alive and well and there are 1 million extremists waiting in line to take Osama’s place. He may be gone, but the threat still lives. Be aware even more now than ever.

42. amabtp says:

Did anyone out there really believe it was really going to happen, after all this time. It’s not over yet. Just wishing for world peace.

43. sandy says:

You people are so hypocritical, when Obama tries to fix damaged economy bush left behind, you tell him to shut up and own it. now he commanded the attack on bin laden and bush is responsible. you cant have it both ways, bush went to iraq to avenge desert storm he achieved goal of killing saddam. and said mission accomplished. this president promised in his campaign to focus on pakistan and afghanistan and to bring bin laden to justice and he did just that.. my god give the devil his due!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Naheedya says:

Sandy your a troll. You should be the last one telling anyone to get a life. Grow Up.

44. Rodin says:

BIN LADEN, THE DEATH TO END ALL DEATHS. THE JOB IS DONE. The time has come.

Out of Iraq. NOW. Out of Afghanistan. NOW. Out of Pakistan. NOW. Out of Libya. NOW. Stop propping up ISRAEL. NOW!!!

Put a fence around the Middle East. NOTHING GOES IN, NOTHING COMES OUT UNTIL THEY LEARN TO BEHAVE OR ANNIHILATE THEMSELVES. THEIR CHOICE.

45. JOE BEE says:

Well justice was finally served, it proves you can’t hide behind RELIGON to justify murdering innocent people world wide. OBL know dances with the DEVIL, sorry no virgins allowed. And to those you complain that nothing has changed in their lives, well this isn’t about you, it’s about all the folks that lost their loved ones on 9-11. You are fortunate to live in a country where opportunites exist and you can change your live, so take advantage of that fact and stop complaining.

46. lili says:

body was burried at sea? what?! Makes me wonder about this now… Islamic tradition? hmmmmmmm????????

47. J Colon says:

He killed thousands on September 11 without pity or remorse, so I say whithout pity good that he is dead. The families of the 9/11 victims finally got justice the most rapid way possible. Now all the victims of the WTC are resting in peace. God bless our troops and God bless this administatrion that focused on getting Bin Laden. Now Mr. President bring our troops home.

48. IH8LIBERALS says:

Awaiting moderation ? whats that? code for CBS (Continious Barak Station) is reporting you to the liberal terrorist group that invaded the WHITEHOUSE in 2008

49. Nortel says:

Why give him a burial at sea? He shouldnt have had any dignified burial! What about the 4,000 people he killed on9/11? Their bodies are in a garbage dump in Staten Island. No diginity for them?? The were the victims.

50. Can't pull the wool over my eyes says:

b.s. Too many missing pieces to the puzzle and too opportune of a time for this ‘announcement’. I’m tired of the government (democratic, republican, all of them), seeing us as being unintelligent sheep unable to see through their deceit and fear tactics. Please just be honest with us, don’t deceive us into votes, don’t scare us into votes. JUST BE HONEST and treat us like we have half a brain.

1. Joe Biden, et. al. says:

“Please just be honest with us, don’t deceive us into votes, don’t scare us into votes.”

ROFLMAO!