Rashard Mendenhall Creates Stir With Critical Bin Laden Tweets

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) — Rashard Mendenhall has raised eyebrows with comments made on his official Twitter page regarding Osama bin Laden’s death.

The Steelers running back on Monday tweeted: “What kind of person celebrates death? It’s amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We’ve only heard one side…”

Mendenhall didn’t hold back, even making a reference to the Sept. 11 attacks on the Twin Towers.

“We’ll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style.”

The Steelers felt compelled to act. On Tuesday, team president Art Rooney II released a statement.

“I have not spoken with Rashard, so it is hard to explain or even comprehend what he meant with his recent Twitter comments. The entire Steelers organization is very proud of the job our military personnel have done and we can only hope this leads to our troops coming home soon.”

Among his other bin Laden tweets:

“I believe in God. I believe we’re ALL his children. And I believe HE is the ONE and ONLY judge.”

“Those who judge others, will also be judged themselves.”

“For those of you who said you want to see Bin Laden burn … I ask how would God feel about your heart?”

“There is not an ignorant bone in my body. I just encourage you to think.”

Mendenhall’s string of tweets ended around 6 p.m. Monday. He has not tweeted since.

But he remains a hot topic. WFAN’s Mike Francesa — and other sports talk programs around the nation, for that matter — were fielding calls on Tuesday about him.

The running back has 13,631 followers on Twitter, and he personally follows 66. Included in the group he’s following is the Dalai Lama, comedian Sarah Silverman, and the Park Community Church in Chicago.

Mendenhall, who profiles himself as a “conversationalist and professional athlete” on his Twitter page, turned some heads in March, as well, when he supported a comment by Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson comparing the NFL to “modern-day slavery.”

“Anyone with knowledge of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel eachother,” Mendenhall posted at the time.

Mendenhall is coming off a tremendous season, as he led the AFC champions in carries (324), rushing yards (1,273) and rushing touchdowns (13). He has 2,439 yards in three seasons since being drafted in the 2008 first round out of Illinois.

What do you think of Mendenhall’s comments? Sound off in the comments below…

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. anthony says:

Those seals should take out mendenhall!

2. Sam Houston says:

Obama did nothing but be in office when the good luck and intel came in. Seal Team 6 killed bin Laden. Not Obama.

1. Matan says:

Obama is the commander-in-chief and he gave the order.

2. Ann says:

Sorry, President Obama is the Commander in Chief, they follow his orders.

3. Dave says:

President Bush invaded Afganistan and went after the Taliban knowing that Bin Laben had been financing them for years. Taking prisoners meant that there was a good chance we would find Bin Laden.
    Obama wanted to close Gitmo (which would mean the release of prisoners) and also wanted to give war criminals Miranda Rights (the right to remain silent).
    With years of relentless intelligence and interogation he was finally found. President Bush got the ball rolling, President Obama pulled the trigger.
    And as far as black and white goes, stop looking through the color of your skin and try to see the facts.

4. Phil says:

“not an ignorant bone in my body” That statement is proven wrong by everything else he said. I am ashamed as a steelers fan that he plays for my favorite team.

1. HARLEM GOING HAM says:

WORD UP . THIS COWARD NEEDS TO BE SENT TO THE MIDDLE-EAST. NO LOVE FOR THE OTHER SIDE. IS THIS GUY AMERCIAN? WE NEED TO VISIT HIS HOOD STOMP HIM OUT. I HATE COWARDS THAT TALK PEACE WHILE SOMEONE IS SHOOTING AT US. AND THE NEXT TIME YOU COLLECT A PAYCHECK, GOING KISS THE NEAREST SERVICE MAN’S BUTT AND THANK HIM HOLDING YOUR COWARD BUTT DWON AND FREE FROM HARM

5. Decision_making says:

Isn’t he the SAME player that was humping Ben Rothlisberger during a televised game? Well, that says it all. Say no more.

6. Jerry says:

HA YES U STOLE MY COMMENT 100% AGREE IF HE FEELS ITS A SLAVE TRADE LEAGUE THEN HE NEEDS TO LEAVE IT ALREADY WHAT A DUM FU*CK THIS GUY IS….W.P.W.W!!!

7. Did_He_Really_Say_That? says:

That dip-(s)hit actually tweeted about “not knowing the other side…..”. You CAN’T be serious! You are a certifiable ignoramus. I guess he did not stop to THINK how his ‘tweet’ would impact the families of the more than 3,000 men, women and children that innocently lost their lives on 9/11. What an imbecile!

1. MJ says:

Mendehall has no respect for this country nor the people of this country.
      He (Mendehall) did not stop to THINK before he shout his mouth off via tweet.
      Art Rooney,
      You have a very serious problem with Mendehall, please take care of this problem!!!

8. Did_He_Really_Say_That? says:

If the NFL “‘parallels the slave trade”, then WHY is he STILL in the league? If this is what he TRULY believes, then the proper thing for him to do is …..RUN. He certainly knows how to do that pretty well. So, he should stop taking that “slave trade” money and FREE HIMSELF. He SAY he doesn’t have an ignorant bone in his body yet his ‘tweets’ prove otherwise. Well, maybe not the ignorant bones; more like missing brain cells. The Steelers have a MAJOR problem.

9. Genuine says:

Mendenhall is now successfull……in proving that he is an ill-informed, ignorant idiot.

A terrorist act hit on OUR soil, killing innocent men, women and children and Mendenhall tweets….TWEETS, no less, that “we’ve only heard one side…..”. WHAT! Simply unbelieveable. Without a doubt, that’s a voice of ignorance. I can only wonder if he would have felt the same way if he had a family member in one of the Twin Towers on 9/11. UNBELIEVEABLE!

It’s too bad an intelligence test isn’t required to enter the NFL, to make millions. All he has to be able to do is run. Run, Forest, Run!

But wait, despite the salary, the quality of life, he (along with that other over-paid RB w/ the Viking) associates being in the NFL w/ slavery. Yes, it’s official…..HE’S AN IDIOT; a highly paid idiot, but an idiot no less.

10. Tony M says:

“There is not an ignorant bone in my body. I just encourage you to think.” Yup its not the bones that are ignorant its your brain, and I am thinking. I’m thinking a spoiled millionaire who has lost connection to the real world, who insults his heritage by comparing a game to slavery should shut his mouth and just be appreciative that because he can run hard and fast he actually thinks this entitles him to lecture the rest of the world on virtue. How bout lecturing your quarterback not to sexually assault females in restrooms.

1. Kenny says:

Tony You are right on so many levels. The olden day Steelers had class. This version has a rapist leader and a Super Bowl fumbler who sides with murdering terrorists.

11. David says:

Modern- day slavery ???? Is he kidding ??? if I got paid what he got paid I’d be a ‘modern-day slave’ for the rest of my f—ing life

1. Jerry says:

100% agree!!!

2. TomNJ says:

LOL – Yeah, Imagine the NFL to expect the players to work and train for their money. Wha-Wha-Wha

1. Jack Ryan says:

Crazy large sums of money no less. I think Mendenhall needs a dictionary. He needs to look up the word “slavery”

12. Bob Motley says:

Mendenhall’s remarks are un-American. He should move to Pakistan. To equate the NFL with slavery is one of the most stupid remarks I have ever heard.

13. John Jackson says:

He has a right to his opinions as we all are in the United States of America.
    Just because you don’t like what he is saying does not meen you have the right to stop him from saying it. There are lots of questions that need to be answered about Sept. 11 2001. I do not trust everything my government tells me. Study history learn from it. Governments throughout history have lied and staged false flag events to further their agendas and to give themselves more power over the people,.
    Just because he did not celabrate OBL’s death does not make him

1. Urunclesambo says:

You and he are privileged to have a right in the good ol USA to be IDIOTS. No question.

2. kenny says:

all together now Spell celebrate !!!
      Stop proving the ignorance You are embarrassing yourself and the brainless ingrate Mendenhall

3. ED MEYERS says:

U HAVE THE RIGHT TO LEAVE THIS COUNTRY WHENEVER…HOPEFULLY SOONER THAN LATER

14. Tim says:

Idiot.
    As a Browns fan, I should be elated that a Steeler said this. It sickens me.
    Idiot

15. littlestar says:

dumb ass.

16. True patriot says:

Slavery? Seems like you have a middle eastern name. I don’t how you got those mixed up.

1. Miriam Webster says:

True,

Rashard is not a middle eastern name. It’s more of a ghetto kinda name.

17. Ed says:

I am so glad we got Bin Laden…Let’s not for get why the attacked us in the first place “freedom for all to speak” …. even if they are idiots

My thoughts …. never say anything but good about the dead, we killed Bin Laden.. “GOOOOD”

18. Get Real says:

Seriously comparing NFL to modern day slavery?? No one is forcing Rashard Mendenhall to play football for the big checks he receives!! So ignorant!

19. Vin says:

Everyone has opinions and in a country of free speech, that’s his entitlement. But who gives a damn what he thinks? Mike Francesca on WFAN said it right – why do we put so much weight on what an athlete or celebrity says? Is their opinion any more important than yours? They just have a platform for share their thoughts with more people than most of us do. It’s our right to just ignore them.

1. Trishe says:

Amen. God bless America!

2. James says:

It is because we as a society worship atheletes and cannot live without our next sports fix. Having said that, I like it when athletes are willing to stick their necks out and voice an opinion.

20. tjl says:

Rashard Mendenhall is awake. I just wish the rest of America would wake up.

1. Kenny says:

He needs to be at a wake His own

21. Ken says:

Freedom of speech means just that, if you’ve got a problem with it, move to CHINA.

22. frank says:

I’m not happy that someone died, but I am happy that the head of AQ was eliminated. Its the same thing with the police. Their goal is to stop the threat, not to kill. The navy seal team got resistance, so they did what they had to do to stop the threat.

In regards to 9/11, yes planes can bring down buildings. They did, but you have to take what he said in context of what else he says, and how he represents himself.

23. Nick says:

Freedom of speech is the first amendment. People are ignorant if they do not look at two sides of a story. Nobody’s death deserves to be cheered about. We could have just placed him in a high security prison instead of killing him. Who is to know if we even killed him anyways. They never showed the body. He could have been dead years ago with all the rumors or he could still be living today. Our government leaves things too open-ended. They have a lot to further explain before we jump to conclusions. Mendenhall is entitled to his own opinion, no matter who it influences. The government influences their opinion, why can’t everybody else?

24. Montana says:

Good to know that not all Americans are dumb and blind do not believe everything that is forced feed to you

25. ChgoCannon says:

For all of you good people , who think you know the whole story of 911 Check out,,, Loose Change 911 an american coup

26. EL says:

given the opportunity, Bin Ladin would take out all US citizens… enough said Mend….

27. Aldo says:

There are a lot of really intelligent NFL players. Obviously, Mendenhall is not one of them, and his comments only further the stupid athlete stereotype.

28. DAWN says:

I say kick him to the curb….I have been a Steelers fan for as long as I can remember! People in charge need to think about the affects of his words and how many Mendenhall can influence!! Kick him to the curb….show the people and all the military who are fighting for us that they have the support of the PIttsburgh Steelers!!

29. Nate Turner says:

Ditto

30. Freedom Means Freedom says:

So let me get this straight Bin Laden was suppossedly killed to protect our freedom and once Mendenhall, an Americal cirtizen, exercises that freedom – he gets blasted as a lunatic and non-patriot. You people are the actual non-patriots. Conspiracy theorist or not – lots of people have questions about everything the media spoon feeds us. He sounds like a critical thinker to me…

1. Nog69 says:

Maybe so, but employees of a company don’t have the freedom to spew any drivel they want, and still keep their jobs. Many employees have been fired from their jobs for saying and doing incredibly stupid things, that are contrary to the beliefs of their employers. This guy has gone way over the line. Bin Laden has released numerous video tapes bragging about his involvement in 9/11, and encouraging all Muslims to kill as many American soldiers as they can. This isn’t media hype, these video tapes are readily available for anyone to view. That is bin Laden’s side, and only a complete MORON doesn’t know that. Mendenhall should be fired and banned from the NFL by every team owner, and I hope that’s exactly what happens to him. He deserves no less.

1. Freedom Means Freedom says:

Fired? So if you have a job –you lose you’re right to an opinion. What are the “beliefs of the NFL” anyway? Again – I am not saying I agree which I may or I disagree – which I may –I am saying Rashard is a grown man – an American – and has the right to express his opinon. If there is not enough proof for him – that is his right to express. At the end of the day we only know what we are told and what is shown to us—that is it… We either believe or we do not – but we have the right to express our beliefs –that is the true American freedom that our soldiers fight for- not some fake freedom -like ideal – where freedom is acknowledged only when you agree with the POV.

2. DAWN says:

FREEDOM MEANS FREEDOM: Apparently you have not lost (9/11) or have the fear of losing someone you love due to the obligation they are filling in fighting for this country you live in!! Speech is open and free! Making statements which are openly stupid when one is in the position to influence young and uninformed is not FREE!! Responsibility …….that is what needs to be addressed since Mendenhall failed too have an sense of self-accountability!! And for the record….there are tons of American citizens that shouldn’t be citizens!!

1. Freedom Means Freedom says:

I absolutely have friends and family in the military – some serving or have served in Iraq (persian gulf and post 9-11 and Afghanastan. I am from Brooklyn, NY and was in DC when it was attacked. I travelled through the WTC every day to get to school when I lived in NJ and had to travel to Coney Island. I had friends who worked in the WTC. I was there when the WTC was first attacked. I had a person close to me who is still affected by what she witnessed from tower 7. To give the youth only one side is to leave them uininformed. If the truth is the truth it will be revealed. There should be no need to shield them from an opinion of another. I love how people want to DICTATE what we should hear, say, who should be a citizen and call it patriotism and freedom. Freedom is not free – it must be allowed to be expressed. You can get angry – but it seems some would censor Rashard as if we were in China…THE beacon of personal freedom…

3. Ich says:

Mendenhall has a right to free speech and an opinion.Very true…the problem is when an opinion is so far off base and as idiotic as his was!He is a moron,dude!He thinks the planes didn’t really take down the towers alone.Stupid!He thinks there is another side of the story to bin Laden.Like what?Maybe bin Laden helps little old ladies across the street sometimes and maybe he is nice to little kittens…is this guy F-ing nuts?The guy masterminded 1000’s of deaths and broke millions of Americans hearts and changed the way we live FOREVER!Those facts are not open for debate…they are truths and Mendenhall spoke the thoughts of a moron.Yes,speak your mind but be prepared for poeple to bash you when you are totally wrong.Oh and “Way to go Navy Seals!”You guys made this world a little safer for us all.

4. therefore I am says:

Critical thinker? He’s put a LOT of time into his analyses. Uh huh. And, the pro football – slavery thing? What an outrageous offense to critically thinking african americans

31. sheldon says:

Mr. Menenhalls heart and soul IS IN the right place…….but I would be remiss if I didn’t ask”where was that heart and soul when the world witnessed all of te Muslim radicals dancing in celebrtaion when we were attacked……not referncing anyone being responsible…….t…simply CELEBRATINGdeath and destrcution to our citizens.

Ask Mr Meninahall whre was his herat and soul then

32. Nate Turner says:

Rashard stay strong , I agree with you 100%… DO NOT DRINK THE KOOL-AID!!

33. nathan says:

Newsflash: Pro athletes are very often not that intelligent. Nothing to see here…

34. Rod says:

This guy is nuts. What a loser. I wonder if ihe thinks he is a patriot ass well. NOT!

35. Josh says:

Mendenhall is clearly stupid. But then, so’s Twitter. Honestly, who in their right mind thinks it’s a good idea to have deep, intense, passionate, political debates in 150 characters or less? Oh wait a minute, I guess that’s sort of what this is too… Here’s a little advice to everyone who has a twitter account: If you have a job, and want to keep your job, get rid of your twitter account. Also, if you don’t want to get upset, don’t read these comments!

1. Isawaputtycat says:

THANK YOU. What a bunch of Bull**it. Twitter, Tweets? Who gives a rat’s a** what he or ANYONE thinks? What a bunch of self-important, narcissistic morons. Even worse is when the media quotes the “tweets” of celebrities and the like. THIS is the downfall of western civilization.

36. J P says:

I’ll make it simple. Mendenhall is a lunatic. He doesn’t believe a plane can do the destruction of 9-11. Where were you hiding Rashard, in a cave? If he doesn’t apologize, he should be buried by his opponents the next time he touches the football.

37. J P says:

Rashard, Every Christian knows he/she will be judged. Move to the Middle East, where you may find some radical Muslims who agree with you. By the way, give back your US money before you compare the NFL to slavery, you punk!

38. MIKE HAUN says:

I FEEL SORRY FOR THE STEELERS AND THE GREAT CITY OF PITTSBURG, THEY HAVE TO TOLERATE MEN LIKE HIM ON THEIR TEAM AND AS A REPRESENTITIVE OF THEIR CITY. I THINK RASHAD WOULD BE HAPPIER IN PAKISTAN, WE DONT WANT HIM IN THE USA.

39. Don says:

Rashard is further justification for major concern regarding the effects of serious head injuries in sports

40. Gabriel Alves says:

he is just ignorant.comparing the nfl to slavery..i would really like to see his gpa from college if he ever went to class.what a stupid person.how would he feel if someone he knew and loved was killes on 9/11?

41. Al Davis says:

Mendenhall obviously IS ignorant, contrary to what he wants us to believe. Either that or on drugs.

42. Jym B says:

Thankfully God will judge the NFL owners who make lotsa money showing slaves on Thursdays, Sundays and Mondays. They should be judged for such inhuman ethics.

43. ACE says:

At first I was upset about this tweet. then i realized as a steeler fan i want him to type as much as possible. this will cause his fingers to gain strength and maybe he can HOLD ON TO THE FOOTBALL!!

44. ACE says:

Steve. I hate his comments too but lets try not to make it racial.

45. ROBERT DITO says:

Just Pathetic too bad the Steelers just couldn`t release the clown, I guess his parents didn`t teach him a valuable lesson like think before you speak. SAD SAD SAD

46. Yahtorah Kupenda says:

This sounds like a young man who has been risen from the grave. No longer allowing other people to think for him. Fruits of the Holy Spirit is the only way to the Kingdom of Heaven here on earth. Now the beast will rise up against the light. Wicked rulers love darkness more than the light. I pray that you are working for some Godly people brother.

47. William Frawley says:

And that is why you play football. You are too stupid for any thing else. I would love to see your slave quarters. If you feel like a slave take your college degree and go get a job and free yourself.

1. Mike says:

Now, while there are many relatively unintelligent Football players out there, I am going to disagree with you on this ultimately. Just because one plays professional football does not mean one is stupid.

Ever heard of Myron Rolle? He’s a Safety for the Titans. Guess what? He has a Masters in Medical Anthropology from Oxford, and he was a Rhodes Scholar. You are going to call him stupid? Okay..

How about Ryan Fitzpatrick of the Bills? Degree in Economics from Harvard, 1580 on his SAT. Yeah, he’s really stupid too. Anybody can get a BA in Economics from Harvard I hear..

How about Matt Birk of the Ravens? Same story as Fitzpatrick. BA in Economics from Harvard.

I could go on. Just because you play a professional sport doesn’t mean you’re automatically unintelligent.

48. john says:

guess he believes you should only speak well and good about the dead. Well Bin Laden is dead. GOOD!

49. michael says:

Now that I have read the comments of Mendenhall, I can say I hate him.

50. paul says: