Gas Prices Nearing Record High On Long Island

NEW YORK (WCBS 880)Gas prices on Long Island were closing in on a record high of $4.34 a gallon for regular unleaded, but according to the AAA, drivers really haven’t cut much on their fuel consumption.

“I got to get to work. I’m trying to cut back, but I have to get to work,” one driver said.

LISTEN: WCBS 880’s Mike Xirinachs reports.

Mike, a limousine driver said “I haven’t really noticed any less driving at all, to be honest with you. I think it’s just the same amount of driving as I have seen. So as far as cutting back, I haven’t seen it, no.”

Asked if he thinks drivers have come to accept what they have to do, he answered: “I think at this point, maybe. I think people probably are getting so frustrated.”

One gasoline analyst said motorists never really stopped conserving since the last price run up three years ago and that most driving now is necessary.

Are you among the motorists on Long Island who haven’t changed their driving habits? Leave a comment below…

Comments

1. Karen says:

I live on Long Island. Sukkolk County.The gas prices stayed the same so far.My son has to get to college so we cut back on other things like food.

2. OJ says:

It’s all about greed , greed, Greed!! This is why America is a capitalist country. Thomas Jefferson built America on eudaemonism – the ability to produce happiness for some people, the distribution of fortunes to certain ones.It’s not about Republicans or the Obama administration. It’s all about SELF !!

3. bugjackblue says:

I don’t understand the problem. Higher gas prices mean more money and a better standard of living for the shareholders of oil companies. The only people who complain about it are those who don’t own stock in oil companies.

So why don’t they own stock in oil companies? Whose fault is it if they weren’t born into wealth? If all those who complain about income inequality in this country would just get themselves born into wealthy families, they’d have nothing to complain about.

4. Tran says:

Gas prices are like sports ticket prices: There will always be a premium for both. Recession?? Ha! I don’t think the Yannks, Mets or any of the other pro NY teams care whether people work or not. They’re only interested in do you want to pay to watch their products live.

Same thing with gas. Can you afford not to drive or not to drive the gas guzzlers??? Ask yourselves and be honest about it.

5. Drew Hopson says:

I agree. I have ditched the 6 and 8 cylinders going with my 4 cylinder and a 5 speed at that.

1. Drew Hopson says:

Except all of my money seems to be going towards gas. I live on Long Island and evertyone knows you need a car out here, but some days I find find myself gassing up 2-3 times a day.

6. cliff says:

we need to ditch buying the 6 and 8 cylinder cars. We do not need them. Yes they have more power but we are not supposed to drive fast anyway on public roads. I can understand having a weekend car that has a lot of power and burns a lot of gas but your daily driver should average above 25mpg. We also do not need the big cars that burn a lot of gas. There are lots of fuel efficient SUVs out there, people just need to buy them more and ditch buying the Yukons and the Explorers and the Sequoias…and those other pieces of sh1ts!

7. City Worker says:

Crude dropped over $8 today but I can guarantee gas went up at the pump on Long Island. Crooks!

1. Truth says:

Stations are on a delay. It will stop going up and drop in a couple ofweeks

8. Jay says:

We can thank our elected officials for allowing the auto manufacturing companies to build vehicles that get the same gas milage as they did 25 years ago. The auto companies found SUVs and Trucks don’t have to follow the EPA standards as cars do and the profit for SUVs and Trucks are three times that of cars. Do we really need these big SUVs? The American public are naive for being force feed the belief bigger is better and now cry when it costs $120 per week to filler up. Mom, 10 mile per gallon vehicle to go grocery shopping? LOL I call them battle wagons. We the American public drove the auto manufacturers out of business for our short sidedness and theirs. How the hell will, we ever get off the proverbial gas tit? I for one don’t need foreign countries dictating to me, our economic future depends on us getting our heads out of are a**.

9. TRINIRODNEY says:

WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE A FIRST WORLD COUNTRY BUT WE CANT GET GOOD HEALTH CARE WITHOUT A BILL TO GIVE U A HEARTATTACK,GAS PRICES ARE UNCONTROLLABLE BP CLAIMS BILLIONS IN PROFIT THIS YEAR TOO AFTER THE SPILL SO THINK FOR URSELVES PPL WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON,IN THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES GAS IS SO CHEAP HEALTH CARE IS AFFORDABLE IF NOT FREE BUT WE FOOL OURSELVES BY CALLING US FIRST WORLD WHAT NONSENSE,FURTHERMORE THE MAYOR AND THAT WIG WEARING DONALD COULD KISS MY A!! they lie like no other.

10. Lance says:

Jen, the last time gas went up, Bush was still in office. The war started while Bush was in office. Oh, and about “EDUCATED”..you should start with yourself and learn how to write a comment using correct punctuation and form. It’s people like you who use any and every excuse to blame Obama for EVERYTHING!!! If gas prices are killing you, try driving slower. Try walking down the block instead of driving to the corner. Try not eating so much. People in other countries are paying a lot more for gas than we. I don’t like the prices, but I’m not going to blame Obama for what was wrong with our country BEFORE he got into office. GROW UP, JEN!!!

1. tjg says:

@Lance… he was elected in 2008… It is 2011… He can take some blame. Gas did go down and now it is back up… That isn’t Bush’s fault.

2. kalid j says:

typical liberal, an obama zombie. Obama is on the hook for this and the economy not Bush , quit being brainwashed kid

3. Neither Dem Nor Rep says:

Lance,

Every politician inherits their predecessor’s ‘situation’. All politicians lie as well. It’s part of the game.

11. peter says:

corrupt goverment=high gas prices……corrupt goverment = fiancial aid to saudi arabia… corrupt goverment= we will never help the people with profess we would to… lining their pockets..waiting for our society to imploded before they get on jets and leave with all of our money…smart people would pull all of their money out of the banks…and you see how fast gas prices fall……

12. balli says:

This is what deregulation on wall street does!! The traders are free to do what they want. Artificially keep raising prices while we foot the bill.

13. Drain It All says:

I always take a hose with me incase I run out of gas so I can insert the hose on another vehicles gas tank so I can drain it all.

14. teketoria says:

You mix canadian repce oil with french colognes 2 yrs later to get your car running?

15. 89 Octane says:

Boy this really stinks, and by the way I just came back with my lady friend who ate chilli at Wendys, and we used HER GAS for the last 3 Miles High Octane

16. JEFF GORDON says:

I still have to drive but I don’t have to eat in restaurants and my old clothes still fit quite well. More money for gas = less money for other things I used to spend money on.

17. Nick says:

Me and my family have changed our driving habits we have smaller fuel efficent cars drive only when we have to…….The American people need to go on strike shut the countyr down do nothing don’t go to work, shopping nothing things will change when no money flows into the big shots pockets. The goverment cares nothing for the working people in this country it only care about sensationalism and it’s self

1. Saray says:

I couldn’t agree more with this comment. I have a fuel efficient car but I still feel my pockets at the pump. It is a necessity to drive on Long Island. I know things will be much worst come Summer time.

2. OJ says:

One may change his or her driving habits as you and your family have done, however there are other factors involved that will give you more mileage to the gallon .Carbon emission is actually unspent or unburned gasoline expelled through your exhaust system and this is caused when combustion is not accelerated in your engines combustion chamber . Your intake is faster than your burn rate.This also results in carbon deposits on your piston heads which will also affect your oils viscosity resulting in more frequent oil change.3000 miles or 3 months which ever comes first. On the other hand striking is not an alternative that will fix the gas price because when the trucks stop rolling and the shelves in the super markets get empty you can’t eat the money so that may not be good for our little ones ;<) Check out http://www.greenfootglobal.com/moneysaver

18. Mr. Mike Knows says:

Oil is down over $ 10.00 a barrel the past 4 days. That equates to a .25 cent drop per gallon of gas. Let’s see if they actually drop it. Our Gov’t looks the other way while we get hosed. Oh, they collect both taxes and “under the table” . That’s why no one does anything for us, the little guy. I’m sure we will NOT see a .25 cent drop. But boy did we see a .25 cent increase when it went up $ 10.00 a barrel !

1. Truth says:

It will drop, but you need to give it a week or two

19. AL BLACK says:

I AM IN THE SERVICE STATION BUSINESS FOR 41 YEARS AND DEALING WITH THESE CROOKS ALL THIS TIME, NOW THE GENERAL PUBLIC SEES WHAT I VE DEALT WITH, THEY ARE NOT NICE PEOPLE, AND THEY WILL TAKE ALL YOU LL LET THEM TAKE, OH YEA, WHERES OUR GOVT. WHEN WE NEED THEM ? AS LONG AS NO ONE QUESTIONS THESE PEOPLE THEY LL JUST KEEP STEALING OUR MONEY. REMEMBER THE 70s, AND THE LINES, BY THE WAY WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WIND FALL PROFIT TAX MR BUSCH ?

20. Jen says:

Don’t make the same mistake twice- that is by electing Obama- worse than Bush ever was. Double up on gas, double up on wars, we need someone different all right! How about someone really EDUCATED! Most of us have to drive we have no choice. I can’t live based on other people’s schedules, namely busses, trains, or even cabs.

1. Timothy says:

It’s the Republicans who don’t want to end the more than 4 billion dollars in subsidies the oil industry gets…that’s right you silly stupid person. The republicans want to keep giving an industry billions of dollars in tax breaks who make billions of dollars in profits and could care less about where you have to drive or why.

1. Its Me says:

What about all the subsidies the farm industry gets mainly because of Democrats?

The blame game can go all over the place.

Here is a better one…. even though the oil industry racked up record profits, they are also the ones that pay the highest taxes.

You should really only comment on something unless you are familiar with the whole picture, or you bias just sticks out like a weed in a rose bush.

2. Trina says:

Jen, may I suggest a G.E.D. program in your area? Then perhaps you can read the bus schedule, learn how to catch a train or cab. But above all, just shut the hell up!

3. Michael Sausage says:

Yes we can’t.

21. HooDatIS? says:

EVERY BODY IS SUFFERING NOW
    NOW U RICH PEOPLE WHO NEVER HAD TIME TO LOOK OUT FOR YOUR DOWN TRODDEN BRETHEREN FEEL THE PINCH HOW LUCKY FOR U

22. Mr.G says:

We all should take the MTA for day or two and leave our cars at home. Let’s stick it to the oil companys. 18 billion $ in profits in the first quater of the year. The oil company’s are crooks.

23. dann says:

an expensive bottle of cologne or perfume O… A gallon of gas? It’s about the same price nowadays. The difference is, one of them you definitely need. but which one?

24. Marion Nigro says:

i never let it go below 3/4 of a tank and then i add $20.00. It sucks !!!!

Comments are closed.