Maurice Harary Refunding Profits From Osama Bin Laden Death T-Shirts

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – One New York City college student who made a lot of money in the wake of Osama Bin Laden’s death has had a change of heart.

WCBS 880’s Alex Silverman On A Soul Searching Journey

When Maurice Harary heard Osama Bin Laden had been taken out, he says, “I felt U.S. pride.”

The 23-year-old is a business student at New York University. So, naturally, that pride turned into opportunity.

He decided to start selling t-shirts with proclamations of Bin Laden’s death on them.

“I had been in e-commerce before, so I knew how to get it up quickly,” he says. “I didn’t know it would be that viable of an idea.”

Well, it was.

His website – www.osamadeadtees.com – was up in three hours.

Two days later, he had sold more than a $100,000 in t-shirts at $12 each.

But today, Maurice says he did some soul searching.

“I will now be refunding all orders on Osama dead tees,” he says. “Celebrating over the death of someone, whoever it is, is evil in my eyes.”

“I feel it’s not a positive way to be making money,” he says. “I don’t want my success to come at the expense of anyone else.

He says he wants to make money the right way.

So, he’s launching another site, selling a wider variety of clothing.

Celebrating a person’s death and talking to children about Osama Bin Laden have been hot topics this week.

Comments

1. DanTheD00d says:

Osama’s friends prolly sent him anthrax in the mail! lol lol.

Or he’s just a loser and couldnt fulfill the orders. haha, sucks to be him.

2. David says:

I’m guessing he never received that many orders or he just couldn’t make money at 12.00 a shirt because he didn’t charge for shipping. Judging by facebook comments and quotes on his site, this was not a moral issue. I sell my shirts on street corners and people praise me for showing my pride. Its uniquley American IMO
    But he did have top listing in search engines because he re-directed from an older Domain

3. jgreene says:

If this is true, he is INSULTING his customers. He should have told his NYU professors to stuff it. You don’t have to go to NYU to start a company (any kind of company) and he’s wasting his tuition and time listening to business advice from liberal leftists professors.

4. Mike says:

In my professional opinion, this story is BS. I too have a MAJOR t shirt websites and enough knowledge to know, this guy has NO traffic, which means, how did they buy??? Look at Alexa.com and it will show he has NO real traffic counts for the days from May 1-5th. I have smaller site with 10,000 people a day and it shows on the alexa report. In my opinion he put out a bogus press release and hoped to get traffic from the release due to some crazy profit numbers. I buy ALL major t-shirt keywords on google including al the Osama ones, etc. He was selling 1 or 2 shirts, not much variety…most sites have a 100 or two….calling BS unless he shows a bank statement…..I just looked at the site and of course everything is sold out. BUT it looks like a ZAZZLE site…..he wouldn’t be making the shirts…so why would he need to hire a 4th part time person and why would they SELL OUT…Zazzle doesn’t sell out. The DOMAIN is not strong enough to attrach traffic…

1. Bill says:

I agree with Mike. Nobody except his college friends and family would have known about the website. It takes months of strategic planning and re-wording of the web page for it to start showing up in the search engines. It is impossible even if he posted on every blog and facebook page there is! LIAR!

5. IC1(SW) says:

Well if you want some good items that simply celebrate the dedicated work of the US Military and Seal Team Six check out http://www.ThankYouTeamSix.com.

6. Susan says:

Well Maurice, please don’t feel too bad, except maybe think about the meaning of immorial: The beheading of Daniel Pearl, immorial, I could go on but I think you get the idea.

1. typos says:

so you are saying from a moriality perspective what he did was OK?

7. HooDatIS? says:

DONT REFUND THE MONEY USE IT TO BUILD SOMETHING IN MEMORY TO THE VICTIMS AROUND THE WORLD WHO SUFFERED BECAUSE OF OSAMA BIN STOOPID
    MAKE LEMONS INTO LEMONADE
    GOD BLESS U

8. Irish says:

When I first hear about this I was dismayed,I hate Osama but tis wrong to cash in on ones death,there will be more deaths to come so should we cash in those too,I’m glad the young bloke had a change of heart.

9. THE FORCE says:

Yea and the designs were horrible anyways… Good thing there’s actual graphic designers out there going tackling this…

Check these shirts out http://jihaha.spreadshirt.com

10. AJ says:

Another possibility: 3 hours in the middle of the night isn’t very long to get copyright clearance from whichever photographer/ photo agency he got that picture of Osama from…

11. bobby says:

he probably didnt have the shirts to ship

1. Phat says:

Oh yes he did. You have no idea who this kid works for/with.

12. OKAY says:

Good for him! He did the right thing

13. muggsy bogues says:

change of heart, really? and scared off by who?

there is nothing illegal or immoral about what he did. it might be in bad taste (maybe), but that’s about it.

14. 100000 says:

100,000 complete and utter idiots !

1. DP says:

$100,000, not 100,000 t’s.

15. Skeptical says:

I bet he couldn’t fulfill the thousands of orders he received and that’s why he had a “change of heart”.

16. The Facts says:

Looks like he got scared off. The change of heart was pretty sudden.

17. PHILMEKOC says:

the money shouldnt be refunded thats why this country is the best and people were happy to pay for it..

18. Skeptical says:

Why is CBS sensoring comments?

1. Compass Luxor says:

cbs has been censoring comments forever. strong support for freedom of speech.

2. Steven says:

This is their website, remember. What they really should do is read comments before they are posted. Majority of comments on this website are offensive and inappropriate. Hint, hint CBS.

Comments are closed.