NYPD Officer Moreno Denies Raping Drunken Fashion Executive

Assistant DA Balbert Goes Hard After Officer Mata In Cross

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — New York City police officer Kenneth Moreno took the stand during his own trial Monday and told jurors he didn’t have sex with an intoxicated woman who has accused him of raping her after being called to help her get home.

He did, however, admit to making a fake 911 call to police that evening to return to woman’s apartment, 1010 WINS’ Juliet Papa reported.

The officers helped the drunken woman to her apartment and then returned three times within hours. The woman said she passed out but awoke to being raped.

Somber but forthcoming, Moreno took the stand as the key defense witness:

“Did you commit rape, Officer Moreno?” asked his lawyer, Joseph Tacopina.

“No,” Moreno said frankly.

“Did you have sex with (the woman)?”

“No,” said Moreno, who has been an officer for 17 years.

As CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman reports, Moreno’s version of what took place with the woman was stunning.

“She told me to come over to the bed. I said ‘I’m good where I’m at.’ She only had a pink bra on. She came over to me and asked me if I liked her. She tried to kiss me, but I smelled the alcohol. I said ‘you don’t like me.’ She got upset. I kissed her forehead. She took my hand and put it on her stomach and turned so my hand was on her lower back. She started moving her buttocks around my groin area. It was getting crazy. This was totally unexpected,” Moreno testified.

“I kind of pushed her away. I said there’s another time for this. She looked at me. I held her on the shoulders and said we’re not doing this. She got upset.”

An issue in this trial has been whether the woman was too drunk to say no and whether the cops should have called an ambulance instead of taking her to her apartment, the place of the alleged rape.

“I asked her what was going on. The cab driver said she was drunk. She heard what he said. She said, ‘I’m not drunk. I’m just sick,’” Moreno testified.

Tacopina then asked, “Did she respond to your questions?”

Moreno answered: “Yes she did. I told her, if you can’t stand on your own [I was going to have to call an ambulance]. She said she did not want to go to the hospital. ‘Then you’re going to have to stand up.’ She got up.”

Officer Moreno tried to show that his time with the woman was friendly. But he stunned many in the courtroom when he said he tried to comfort the intoxicated, vomiting woman with, “We talked about music. I even sang to her. I sang Bon Jovi’s ‘Living On A Prayer.’

“She said I want you to stay.  I said you want me to stay?  She said, yes, stay with me.  She just wanted to be held.  So I held her.”

Earlier, Assistant District Attorney Coleen Balbert aggressively cross-examined Moreno’s partner, NYPD officer Franklin Mata, about the alleged rape of the young, drunk, fashion executive inside her apartment in December 2008.

When asked if he could recall anything that was said between the woman and Moreno, Mata testified she told Moreno: “No, she doesn’t have a boyfriend,” and later, “I don’t want an ambulance.”

1010 WINS’ Juliet Papa reports: Prosecutor Grills Officer Franklin Mata

Balbert: “Was it flirty?”

Mata: “She was touching his arm. She was laughing. Giggling. It seemed flirty to me.”

Balbert then went after the cops’ characters, trying to get Mata to admit that he and Moreno intentionally lied to their superior officers by lying on a patrol log about their whereabouts during a lunch break and later placing a fake 911 call to buy them more time inside the apartment.

Balbert: “For that hour, you were not in the precinct station house, were you?”

Mata: “No, we were not.”

Instead, surveillance video shows the officers returning the woman’s Village apartment yet again.

Mata testified that shortly after, his partner went into the bathroom to assist the woman as she tried to vomit.

Mata said about 10 minutes later, while he was in the living room sitting on the couch, drowsy, the woman led Officer Moreno out of the bathroom, and into the bedroom where, prosecutors said, he raped the 29-year-old on her bed.

This is where the cross examination turned contentious, because Mata testified that’s exactly when he fell asleep for the next 30 minutes.

Balbert: “So you don’t know whether she was passed out?”

Mata: “I don’t know.”

Balbert: “You said in direct examination Ken did not commit any crimes. But isn’t it true you were asleep and didn’t know what was happening in that bedroom?”

Mata: “I know Ken. Ken wouldn’t do something like that.”

Balbert: “But he would commit a crime like making a false 911 call.”

Mata: “I didn’t know it was fake.”

Mata said he awoke when Moreno nudged him and said they were leaving. He didn’t ask his partner anything about what had happened, he said.

Mata and Moreno have been suspended until a Police Department review after their trial. If convicted, each could face up to 25 years in prison.

So who do you believe? Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below.

Comments

1. You think New York is the only corrupt one try Florida! Miami Florida. they are the worst ones in the whole country! 9/11

2. BPF says:

For some reason, I do indeed believe that this woman began flirting with the officers, which would have enticed the officers need to return several times, however it does not mean that just because she flirted (when someone is drunk, their inhibitions are free) gives them the right to rape her, raping of this woman is very serious because they crossed a major line, a criminal line and they were dumb and brazen enough, calculated enough to do so, I am not buying the other officer sleeping on the couch, (how convenient, sounds like his defense attorney coached him to lie) who the hell dozes off on someone’s couch while on duty, and this whole thing is stunning to me the sheer level of hubris, the sheer level of brazen misconduct, the bogus phone call, the 3 returns to the apartment, the singing of a song, what kind of police officers are these?? I am sad for the officers, because they threw their lives, their careers away all for sex, cheap, mindless sex. BUT I MORE SAD AND OUTRAGED FOR THE WOMAN,,,,,,NYPD has many many officers that will lie, cover-up, falsify and plant evidence they continue to rank as one of the most corrupt police departments in the nation next to LAPD, Arizona, and New Orleans and Newark, the feds need to really weed out corrupt police officers and go after the NYPD because Kelly is too busy attending charity balls and trying to become Mayor of NY. NYPD will lie to their own commanding officers, to cover their misconduct, crimes and wrong doing…..The audio tape against the police officer is a deadly piece of evidence, I believe the audio tape maybe the coup de gras…..I am sad for all victims In this case………Why would men do anything just to have sex……? What is a matter with Men and Sex?…..Its insanity of the highest order….

everyone…Who knows the jury may view the woman as having been too flirtatious by sending the wrong signals, its the old blame the victim syndrome But any rape is a serious criminal act and it’s a form of violence and domination over women BUT coming from police officers who are sworn to protect and uphold is nothing short of criminal misconduct and reprehensible….Case Closed

3. BPF says:

I agree with Claude. These are officers of the law, public servants, they must at all times maintain and follow strict guidelines, rules, behavior and codes of ethics and conduct in accordance with laws that they are mandated and sworn to uphold. They must be reminded at all times that they are there to solely serve the needs of the public not their own needs and desires. No exceptions, no excuses, protocol requires that they call an ambulance….What’s with the singing, hugging, lying on her bed, returning 3 times…? This story is like a bad LIFETIME MOVIE that continues to rerun (I can’t stand the Lifetime channel)…..The whole thing is very sad, but the real victim is the woman without a doubt, and to some degree the officers too, (but for all the wrong reasons)…..Officers testimony (no thanks to his lawyer) is so over the top on his constant need and desire to connect, empathize, show compassion to this woman, that its not really ringing true. The fact that they did not want dispatch to know where they were and created a bogus phone call as a tourist…? The fact that the audio tape is so incriminating, is devastating to the defense……To keep talking about hugging, and lying next to someone is so inappropriate……This lacks credibility and there is no ring of authenticity, if he truly felt something for her, his compassion, conscience, integrity and ethics would have guided him into doing the right thing, which is paramount as an officer of the law, such as calling A friend of hers to stay with her, or calling an ambulance……His oath requires him and the other officer to call an ambulance. Official boundaries must be maintained at all times in public service positions that require the needs of the public to be placed ahead of you own, in strict adherence of your sworn oath of office. I feel sorry for everyone…Who knows the jury may view the woman as having been too flirtatious by sending the wrong signals, its the old blame the victim syndrome But any rape is a serious criminal act and it’s a form of violence and domination over women BUT coming from police officers who are sworn to protect and uphold is nothing short of criminal misconduct and reprehensible…..Case Closed

4. Teacher says:

How come her so called friends did not take her home??? This is a typical She Said – He Said story. This woman has a serious drinking problem .. I just keep thinking that there is a possiblility that she had sexsual relations prior to going home …and now because she was drunk is blaming the last individuals she remembers. I hate cops, but in this case..sorry they are not guilty…not yet.

5. Val says:

In our great country rape is not defined as “when a woman sobers up the next day and regrets having sex the night before”.

These cops may well be creeps, but i can’t find one shred of proof a rape occurred. Until we can prove a crime occurred, we can’t try someone for the crime.

All I see is a young woman who drank WAY more than she should have and behaved in a way she shouldn’t have, and maybe had sex that she now regrets. That is not rape. That is being young and stupid. Go to any college campus and you can meet hundreds more who have done the same thing. Get drunk and suddenly they are emulating “girls gone wild”.

You cannot convict someone of a serious crime because a young, stupid, drunken girl did something she regrets. She should learn from her mistake and not drink so much in the future.

1. Claude says:

We agree that (1) the cops are creeps, and (2) the young lady showed bad judgment. But the law says that a woman cannot legally consent to sex if her condition is impaired. If a man takes advantage of her in that condition, the law recognizes that as rape. Two police officers certainly would know that. I respect your right to your opinion, but mine is that these two officers are criminals.

6. Claude says:

@Val,

I’m saying that their conduct was improper at every turn, and their explanations are just not credible. While there may not be physical evidence, there’s no denying that their actions were wrong and contradictory to their duty. Personally I can’t believe them, and I’m not inclined to put the blame on the woman.

1. Val says:

@claude Nothing you have said is EVIDENCE of a rape. Our justice system in the US is great because we require proof beyond ANY reasonable doubt. Being “inclined not to place blame on the woman” is not proof!

Sometimes when we see rape, murder or child abuse we want to hang someone, and someone can = anyone to make us feel we have righted a wrong. We do ourselves a disservice when we through our country’s ideals out the window.

Look at the Innocence Project. All those men convicted falsely because we wanted to right a wrong, at any cost, without evidence. Everything you said supports the cops being idiots who lied about a call. None of it proves rape. I can’t even say beyond ANY reasonable doubt that a rape occurred!

7. Fannie Jo says:

Those Cops are guilty send them to prison and let them find out what it feels like to be a woman.

8. Val says:

Is there evidence that he raped her? DNA? Rape kit? Skin under her nails? She already admits to being so drunk she can’t remember what happened. Why should we assume he “raped” her or even had sex with her? I do not see proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Everyone here who says the cop is guilty is speaking from assumptions, personal experience, and conjecture. Not a one of you can point to evidence. I have been reading and waiting for one shred of evidence to be presented and….nothing.

1. Claude says:

The cops are spinning a yarn that is completely ridiculous. The fact that they kept returning to her home, even faking a 911 call as an excuse to go there, shows they were up to no good. Mata just happened to fall asleep when the alleged sexual contact happened? Oh, sure. No evidence? I should think a police officer with 17 years experience would know how to avoid leaving behind incrminating evidence. If I were on the jury, I’d be inclined to throw the book at them.

1. Val says:

@Claude: So you are saying because they are cops, and there was no evidence a crime occurred, they must be guilty? o.O

Well that is certainly logic I do not agree with.

2. Guilty says:

1. They went back to her apartment 3 times. That is 4 times all together.
      2. The phone call they made to give them more time in her apartment.
      3. Admitted having sex and now trying to claim it was consensual.
      4. Falling asleep on the sofa. Unheard of.
      5. The singing to her. Come on what kind of cop does that ?
      6. The fact the two cops are distancing themselves from each other is not normal if they are not guilty.

These are all facts. And the facts are undisputed. GUILTY.

1. Val says:

@guilty: Those aren’t all undisputed facts. Some of them are conjecture, but none rises to evidence of a rape. Can you say which point there provides proof that a rape occurred? Do you want this case with the Innocence Project in 5 years getting overturned like so many rape cases?

I see nothing there that proves beyond ANY reasonable doubt that a rape even occurred, never mind who perpetrated it.

9. Luek says:

This misandric culture takes rape a little too seriously.
    Of course women rape men by making false rape accusations and all they get if anything is charged with making a false police report.

10. woodrow says:

I don’t believe his testimony. If she were a man, he’d spend the night in the drunk tank. So this is way outside protocol.

11. Charlie Sheen says:

Why didnt they just pump 42 bullets in her ! its standard procedure right?

1. MIKE says:

YOU’RE RIGHT, BUT THEY DONT KILL WHITE WOMEN!

12. MIKE says:

WAIT A MINUTE HERE THE NYPD IS FILLED WITH WHITE RACIST COPS, IN WHITE SOCIETY THESE GUYS CAN DO NO WRONG. THEY INTENTIONALLY RAPED THIS YOUNG LADY WITH NO REMORSE, AND THAT PATRICK LYNCH NEED TO GO BACK IN HIS HOLE AND PUT ON HIS WHITE HOOD!. THESE OFICERS ARE GUILTY AND SHOULD BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW. WHITE COPS ARE OUT OF CONTROL AND ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THE CHICKENS COME HOME TO ROOST!

1. Val says:

He’s white? He looks Hispanic.

1. Stephen says:

HE IS HISPANIC…The Name MORENO is an HISPANIC name.

2. chris says:

did you read his last name ??? moreno can be spanish you racist prick

1. Jason Ryan Windon says:

I second the “racist prick” remark…

13. KPMc says:

I have even less respect for Mata… the other guy is a sc-mbag but Mata is a ball-less lemming. Pathetic… how do you look your parents in the eye?

14. Bell Toller says:

The victim here is at fault.

1. Too many questions says:

This story seems fishy this girl obviously wanted to have sex..and got mad when he refused to take advantage of her..sounds like he liked her..and wanted to respect her..did the rape take place..was there rape kit..evidence..?:??

people here always turn this into a race thing..or all cops are guilty..crazay

1. Omayra says:

I KNOW KENNY VERY WELL. GREAT GUY…….HE WOULD NEVER DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT. SHE GOT UPSET CAUSE SHE DIDN’T GET WHAT SHE WANTED. HE GOES OUT OF HIS WAY TO HELP HER AND SHE CRIES RAPE. SHE WANT MONEY AND THAT IS HER MOTIVE!!!!!THESE TWO COPS ARE GOOD COPS. THEY MADE BAD JUDGEMENT CALLS. WHO DOESN’T MAKE MISTAKES????????NEVER THE LESS THERE LIVES ARE ON THE LINE BECAUSE OF THIS GREEDY MONEY HUNGRY INDIVIDUAL. GOD FORBID SHE REALLY GOT RAPE FOR REAL!!!!!!

15. Dale Auburn says:

By law, every police officer is a designated Hero, and thus is exempt from ALL laws. Why is he being tried for anything?

16. some friends who let her leave that party & get into a taxi all by herself–

1. Claude says:

I thought the same thing. If I had a friend who was in such bad shape, I’d see her home myself. Put her in a cab? Who’s to say the cabbie wouldn’t take advantange of a young woman in that condition?

17. andy2700 says:

I find Moreno’s story a little too hard to believe also and I’m kind of surprised his lawyer didn’t prepare him better than that. His lawyer might have done better to keep him off the stand.

These are police officers-they go into uncomfortable situations every day, so why return to this lady’s apartment three times if everything is innocent and normal? Something untoward definitely must have happened…

1. Claude says:

Agreed. His story is definitely a lot of bull, and he flatters himself by implying that the woman found him irresistible. A narcissist with a sense of entitlement is just the kind of man who would commit such a crime.

18. MRS. I. UNDERSTAND says:

Sadly enough people have high regards for police officers, we look to them for safety, protection and most of all respect and professionalism. If in fact this woman was drunk gives them no right nor authority to take her enibriation into their own hands and turn it into an orgy.
    Eventually the truth will come out…I’m up in age and for the life of me cannot EVER recall a time where I’ve drank so much that I’m not aware of the act of penetration whether voluntarily or otherwise.

19. BPF says:

For some reason, I do indeed believe that this woman began flirting with the officers, which would have enticed the officers need to return several times, however it does not mean that just because she flirted (when someone is drunk, their inhibitions are free) gives them the right to rape her, raping of this woman is very serious because they crossed a major line, a criminal line and they were dumb and brazen enough, calculated enough to do so, I am not buying the other officer sleeping on the couch, (how convenient, sounds like his defense attorney coached him to lie) who the hell dozes off on someone’s couch while on duty, and this whole thing is stunning to me the sheer level of hubris, the sheer level of brazen misconduct, the bogus phone call, the 3 returns to the apartment, the singing of a song, what kind of police officers are these?? I am sad for the officers, because they threw their lives, their careers away all for sex, cheap, mindless sex. BUT I MORE SAD AND OUTRAGED FOR THE WOMAN,,,,,,NYPD has many many officers that will lie, cover-up and falsify and plant evidence they continue to rank as one of the most corrupt police departments in the nation next to LAPD, Arizona, and New Orleans and Newark, the feds need to really weed out corrupt police officers and go after the NYPD because Kelly is too busy attending charity balls and trying to become Mayor of NY. NYPD will lie to their own commanding officers, to cover their misconduct, crimes and wrong doing…..The audio tape against the police officer is a deadly piece of evidence, I believe the audio tape maybe the coup de gras…..I am sad for all victims In this case………Why would men do anything just to have sex……? What is a matter with Men and Sex?…..Its insanity of the highest order….
    Best wishes to all…

1. Lissette says:

Bravo, great response. I agree with you 100%.

1. BPF says:

THANKS!

2. Val says:

Rape? She was dressed in nothing but a bra rubbing up against him. That’s more than flirting. I am a woman and if I took off my clothes and rubbed my ass against a man’s crotch I would expect that he’d get the idea I wanted sex with him. Being drunk isn’t an excuse for her behavior. She got herself drunk, and she stripped, and she threw herself at this man like a stripper giving a lap dance.

1. jtorres says:

So, what? She “was asking for it?” Get a life! The officers have said she was falling down drunk. Even if she threw herself at the cop, he was supposed to be the responsible one and refuse her advances, knowing she was unable to give consent. And even if she wasn’t drunk and did want to have sex with him, does that mean he has to oblige? On duty? I have great respect and admiration for police offers and the difficult job they do, and I might have believed them… had they not returned to her apartment 3 more times that night. There’s no explanation or defense of that. That sealed it for me

2. Val says:

20. Tammy says:

I hope this woman rots in jail after this poor cops get acquitted

1. LissieV says:

WHAT!! I hope he rots. His story is so full of holes. The lady asked to be held so he held her? Are you kidding me? You are an idiot.

1. Seymore says:

Lissie, I agree with you….Tammy, stay off the blogs until you have a brain to think with

2. Tammy says:

@Seymore,

My brains are right here *points to chesticles*

3. Val says:

I agree with you Tammy. I hope they prosecute her for false allegations ans lying under oath. She acts like a pig, then she regrets it. Poor her. *boo hoo*

21. karlson says:

Neither of these sworn public servants had the moral and ethical common sense to do the right thing. They are fired from NYPD no matter what the outcome of the trial. They may go to jail but NYPD cannot have liars as cops. Even if they are “squeaky clean”, which I doubt, they called in a false report which is criminal and will taken to task for that. The conclusion – they are dirty cops and stupid to boot!

22. sparky says:

they are so guilty of all charges

23. One way ticket says:

My thoughts are that they are guilty. The fake call to try and cover themselves and the four (4) times going back to the girls apartment, is to much evidence against them.. The rest of this trial is all show. They discraced everything that should mean something (respect for women, the job and most of all themselves). All they are doing now is trying not to go to prison. And hopefully the jury will do the right thing and send straight to jail.

24. Heminway says:

A dispassionate look at the facts, as presented, indicates something wrong went down: fake 911 call, officer “falling asleep” on the couch of a member of the general public he’s sworn to protect and serve not make himself at home in their home while on duty, 3 – 3! – trips to a lone women who is safe in her home (or was until they arrived) and just needs to sleep it off. The vicious sexism evident in a handful of the comments only blinds the ones making them to a thoughtful review of the facts. To state the obvious, “she deserved it” “she was drunk” “she was wearing sexy clothes” “I didn’t like his looks” are not justifications for rape or any assault.

1. Val says:

Ummm.. she wasn’t wearing “sexy clothes”. She was wearing a bra and no pants. She needs to stop acting like a pig.

25. Heminway says:

t

26. badman says:

and you are one or more of the following:
    a) a skank
    b) a lardass
    c) a sexually frustrated guy

27. guest says:

Why must woman drink until they don’t know of themselves anymore? If she had control in her drinking she would not be in this situation. Clearly someone is lying here but next time she goes out to party she should take care of herself and know what she’s doing….

1. badman says:

you’re a sanctimonious jack@ss. she knew enough to enlist the help of cops, who are supposed to be protecting her and everyone else.

1. guest says:

First of all she wasn’t the one to call the cops, it was the cab driver that saw she was wasted and vomiting all over the place.
        Secondly, I’m not saying the cops did the right thing….to me they are guilty…but why get drunk to the point that you can’t even get home without someone’s help? For that get drunk at home until you fall until the next day.
        You’re probably on of those the gets drunk outta control….

2. Lissette says:

I agree with you. Women have to watch out when they go out drinking because they don’t know who they may encounter. My problem was where were her girlfriends. They just put her in a cab? When I was in my 20’s, it was an unwritten rule that if one of us got too drunk someone would make sure they got home and in bed. You don’t leave them alone like that.

3. Seymore says:

Granted, the way you walk in a place is the same way you should walk out.. Evidently, this woman needs some guidance. I bet her employer is non to happy with her conduct. This should be a wake up call for her to act in a professional manner at all times.
      However, The cops are a liar….big tiime!!!!!

28. mike steede says:

Opps ! these 2 are going to jail

29. BlueMonster says:

if you can’t handle your liquor – don’t drink MORON

30. badman says:

these guys are gonna have a lot of fun in prison. better bring some grease!

1. Richard T. says:

Yep, Guilty as sin. Lock em up, Danno!

31. nyc says:

Why didn’t the cops call one of the girls friends to come over to keep a eye on her or call a ambulance, if they were so concerned . This whole thing stinks and the police should have sent a women officer on the call knowing it was a drunk girl !

1. CR says:

Absolutely. And isn’t it funny how Mata claims to have fallen asleep at just the crucial moment? Just a cheap ploy to avoiding being charged with perjury. I hope these two get the book thrown at them.

32. kendra says:

i don,t care what part of his body she was touching he had know business what so ever taking advantage of her like that now you watch when he goes to prison they going to get all up in that as we already know know 1 likes rapists who happen to be cops in prison ya heard me?

33. jojo says:

Does not matter how drunk this girl was He is a police officer. He should just left the house. I hope they get the max. See ladies. Bad things happen to stupid women. Don’t get yourself shiit faced drunk where you don’t even know what (or who) your doing.

Comments are closed.