White Plains Firefighter Says He Was Harassed By Co-Workers Because He’s Gay

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — A White Plains firefighter claims he was continually harassed on the job and subjected to a constant onslaught of obscene verbal attacks because he is gay.

Steven Saunders, a 17 year veteran of the department, is now suing the city  for discrimination.

1010 WINS’ Steve Sandberg reports: Saunders Stands Up For Himself

Saunders alleges that his supervisors told him to keep his sexual orientation a secret but then proceeded to “out” him without his permission.

Saunders said after his sexual orientation was revealed he was subjected to obscene verbal attacks and gestures from his colleagues that went unaddressed by superiors.

“He was betrayed by his fellow firefighters who once they knew of his sexual orientation treated him like a pariah,” attorney Randolph McCloughlin said.

The father of three said that instead of implementing anti-discrimination policies, he was taken off his usual duties and reassigned to be the Deputy Chief’s driver. Saunders contends that the move was done, in part, so that other firefighters wouldn’t have to sleep in the same room as him.

“I grew up in a family of firefighters and my whole life I knew I’d be a firefighter too. I’m also a father and a gay man,” Saunders said. “An important part of my identity has been taken away from me by the people that I trusted.”

Saunders said he filed the lawsuit to send a message to his children.

“I want my children to know it is important to stand up and be proud of who you are,” Saunders said.

“We are now in the 21st century where people are free to work at the job they love and to love the people that they love,” attorney Debra Cohen said.

Comments

1. LAIGS says:

The whole thing is a sham. This man admitted he was gay to his colleauges a few years back. He was very hostile about it and nobody wanted anything to do with him. He told his boss and captain that he was on disability because he was going through a divorce and that he is emotionally unstable not because people were treating him badly. That never happened. His boss tried to help him by letting him be the driver to ease the “stress” of his divorce. He has his own room because of his seniority. Nobody ostracized as he claims. He also demanded that his ex-wife file her divorce papers before he announced his lawsuit against the City of White Plains so that she cannot have a claim in the settlement. He also told his kids the night before the press conference that he was going to be on TV. He left his wife and three children a few years ago and was very vocal to anybody and everybody about being gay. It was no secret. I am not biased but I think it is a shame that someone has to use his sexual orientation as an excuse to be greedy and also say that he is doing this for his kids. BULL!!! He would like a million dollars and custody of his children. That is his plan. He needs to be exposed for what he is and good investigative reporting will reveal that.

2. Jerry Shanahan says:

If he’s been on the Job 17 years he knows the mentality of his co-workers. He knows all about the ball busting…I would guess that this has more to do with a big payday and early retirement… Steve, accept who you are, stand up for yourself at work and it’ll work itself out. Get a lawyer and cry harassment and you’ll never ever be accepted regardless of your sexual orientation.

3. carlrosen says:

It’s simple. Next mope who mouths off to him gets left in a burning building. How’s that?

4. HARLEM GOING HAM says:

FLAME FOR BEING HOT IN THE A#%? OR FLAME CAUSE HE’S ALWAYS HOT? WHO CARES THAT HE’S GAY. THE OTHER FIRE FIGHTERS DON’T WANNA SHACK UP WITH A GAY GUY. UNDERSTANDABLE. HOWEVER, YOU CAN’T SIDE LINE A GUY CAUSE HE WANTS TO BE A WOMAN. JUST FIRE HIM FOR BEING TOO HOT

5. Richard T. says:

Carl has been living under a rock or in a cabbage patch for his entire life. Please, readers, excuse his ignorance.

6. jamaican says:

jamaica kills gays,most anti gay country ever,yet american gay tourists go there and spend money lol hahahahaha

1. Richard T. says:

This is why most Americans choose to travel to ANY other destination outside of Jamaica.

7. jamaican says:

di man cant come to island of jamaica,we bun batty man straight,dem get gunshot in jamaica

8. Richard T. says:

If any of you readers are SO concerned about the welfare of this man’s children, read the artcile here about the lovely woman who gave birth to a baby in the rest room at Elmhurst Hospital and then proceed to dump the infant into a trash can and then leave. This poor innocent is in critical condition, and I pray that she lives. These are the kind of unwanted children, many of them afflicted with AIDS that gay men adopt and take into their hearts and homes. Do any of you bible beaters have a problem with that? If so, then why don’t YOU stand up and adpot one of them?? Either put up or shut up. Period, end of statement.

9. Chris says:

GOOD FOR HIM! SUE THOSE JERKS

10. bronson says:

As he should be.

11. Carl says:

I see mention of this man’s children. What sort of relationship was he in to have them? Using the definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman, you should not be entering a marriage if you are gay.

1. Richard T. says:

Hey Carl, Is it really any of YOUR business?

1. Carl says:

I assume it’s a good question. Do you understand it? Obtaining the answer is another matter, but do you see why I am wondering about “gay” and the children?
        I will not answer any more comments like “any of your business”?

2. Richard T. says:

Don’t be thuch a thithy!

Comments are closed.