Police: Baby Survives Toss Down NYC Trash Chute

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A teenage mother was charged Sunday for allegedly tossing her newborn baby into a garbage chute.

The baby survived, but police were still trying to find out Sunday why the disturbing crime happened, reports CBS 2’s Derricke Dennis.

The newborn baby was reportedly thrown down the trash chute in a plastic trash bag. It was believed to have fallen eight stories, straight into a compactor, in a high-rise building in Brooklyn’s Walt Whitman Housing Project.

1010 WINS’ Sonia Rincon has more on the disturbing crime

Authorities said the boy miraculously survived thanks to the trash cushioning his fall.

“I’m sorry for the baby,” neighbor Aida Morales said.

Police surrounded the public housing high-rise at 102 Cumberland Way immediately after the discovery was made shortly after 9 a.m. Sunday.

Authorities took photographs outside while investigators combed for clues and questioned residents inside.

Police told CBS 2 that the child’s 18-year-old mother was arrested and charged with attempted murder.

Residents said they couldn’t believe that one of their neighbors could do such a thing.

Others were searching their mind for a reason for the disturbing incident.

“I don’t know man, had to have been a young girl, probably had a lot of problems,” resident William Jones said.

“Maybe depression…I don’t know,” Morales said.

The investigation centered on a basement door, where the trash chute ends and where police said a worker heard the baby crying.

“Common sense would have told her, if [she] didn’t want it, leave it in the hospital, have it put up for adoption, you know,” Jones said. “But doing something like that – it’s crazy.”

The infant was being treated at Brooklyn Hospital. He was expected to survive the fall.

New York State has a “safe haven” law that allows a parent to give up a baby within 30 days of birth, no questions asked, at local hospitals, firehouses and police stations.

Comments

1. Chad says:

No one should judge her but god he kept the baby alive for a reason just because she did this hideous crime dosen’t make her less Hunan than any of us maybe she was going thru emotional and mental abuse.deep down inside I know she is sorry and god will forgive her when she repent she dosen’t have to be judge by you ppl so instead of discriminating on race or where a person Live or if their on welfare write a scripture from the bible or pray. Remember god knows every intentions behind every heart!!!!

1. Kay says:

I wondered if the girl had been raped, or sexually abused by someone which led to her decision. Is she slow, or mentally challenged? The fact she didn’t feel she could go to her mother & say she was pregnant bothers me. Was someone molesting her? The entire situation is sad!

2. linda says:

wow! spoken like a true believer!… anyhow im the child’s aunt and i total agree and i have a lot to say buy god is good and its a reason why my grand nephew lived. god take care of fools and babies!

2. velvet says:

U know wut I went thru da stress of having a baby at 22.And I was very depress where I did not hold my son.In da same token If dis girl had da brain of a 7 yr old how did she manage 2 have sex.At 7 u playing with dolls n doing dress up. Who and wut would stand by n let her give birth.Let alone y justify da fact dat she trash dat baby? She had da baby n da hospital who helped her bring da angel home?Did she have some1 living with her?Or she just decided after how many days of giving birth 2 trash da baby.Now u keep saying we dont know da facts.So wut is da facts.If u knew dis mentally challenge teen where was u when she did this?

3. velvet says:

Correction_ u got more pple dat believe n having kids n raising kids.u can not compare on how pple go about having da baby verses abort da baby.Not take gods lil angel n throw it away like trash.Dat dont sit good.As a parent n have a son dat is 11.If I allow ne harm 2 come b4 him im responsible 4 dat.So once again dont defend dis lil girl 4 all da wrong reasons. Y did u not recognize da warning signs?N again y was she not on meds?U can not say cuz if she wuz she would have had enough since not 2 throw dat babyboy away like trash!!!!!!!!Came from the projects n live in da country around palms tree and all.

4. velvet says:

And another thing dis is for the 1 dat knows da lil girl.U keep saying@ factless u know her n pple dont know her so dont judge her where was u when she gave birth? Was u helping her thru her pregnacy?Better yet wut kind of mentor r u? It is evident that u were no where around 2 help da lil girl.Not only dat but u sitting online defending dis child saying pple r wrong n dont know da facts.I think u just want 2 talk out da azz n ddefend dis child 4 all da wrong reasons.Friends or family members like u should b ashamed.it 2011 u cant really justified y dis child did wut she did.And pple r suppose 2 sit back n say its okay.Its not ok.Do u not realize how many pple have kids.And no matter wut we aint killed our kids.So many pple have been thru hardship with 1 or more kids and they still here.Dat lil girl should have been on meds.

5. velvet says:

C U KNOW WHAT MY PROBLEM IS? WHEN PPLE WANT 2 JUDGE BC OF WHERE U LIVE.I LIVE N DA PROJECTS WITH 2 JOBS.SO NO NOT EVERY IZ ON WELFARE I LIVE THERE 4 5 YRS.WHERE NOW I LIVE IN DA SOUTH.WITH A 3 BDRM TOWNHOUSE.SO ITZ NOT WHERE U LIVE ITZ ABOUT WHERE U GOING.WHEN U CHOOSE 2 DO SOMETHING 2 A CHILD LIKE DAT U REEP WUT U SOW.A HARMLESS DEFENSELESS CHID HAD 2 GO THRU DAT.DIS YOUNG GIRL HAS 2 ACCEPT WUT SHE DID.NOW WHEN U STOOP DAT LOW U GOT PROBLEMS.DONT U KNOW DAT GOD SAYS DAT U WILL SUFFER HIS RAPTURE WHEN U GO AGAINST DA COMMANDMENTS.WHERE WAS DA FAMILY N FRIENDS WHERE WAS DEY? THOSE DAT WERE AROUND HER THERE R SIGNS WHEN A PERSON AINT RAPP TIGHT.GUESS WUT WHEN SIT BACK AND ALLOW THINGS 2 HAPPEN N U CAN HELP U FACE JUST ABOOUT DA SAME FAITH THAT DIS LIL GIRL IS GONNA FACE.IM GLAD DA BABY IS OK.ILLNESS OR NOT SHE SHOULD SPEND DA REST OF HER LIFE N A LOCKED UP FACILITY. ROBERT FULTONS PROJECTS WAS A STEPPING STONE 4 ME N MY SON.ITS ALL ABOUT WHERE U GOING IN LIFE

1. grace says:

shut up with ur da baby and da this learn how to talk first of..dis lil girl and i hope u dont talk to ur child like that…teach ur children how to talk..wut where did u go to school or did u…who are u to say anything when dont even know how to talk…sorry when i see people talking like this it makes one not read ur reply so i read a few lines and then i didnt read anymore..if u want to get to others u need to learn how to talk first

6. FACTLESS says:

Wow!!! I am outraged just reading some of these comments. First let me say I know of this girl and she does not have the mind of an average 18 year old. That’s whats wrong with society today they are like savages and quick to judge others with out knowing all the facts but just going by what the the media says. @ BROWNSVILLE IS GETTO I myself live in a New York City Housing Development I for one am not Lazy collecting a welfare check. I get up every morning and go to my good paying job with a benefits. My child is 18 years old still in school and not in prison. And if u learn your facts you would know that today you have a lot of different races living in the “Projects” . We as parents should look at this as a reason to talk to our daughters and let them know they can come to us with any situation whether good or bad.

7. sk says:

so not only do you hav e acruel mother who tries tro kill her newborn we have a whole network of people who support her! why should she even feel badly about what she did if she knows that people will defend her actions! now thats sad! therte is a whole world of peopel who don’t care that a baby was almost killed by his mother!

8. joe says:

probably the dumbest, most misinformed comment here………..its conservative republicans in washington that created them and minorities that agree to live in them……..im so glad i left that filthy monkey ridden city……..if you eliminated the housing projects, it would be a great place

9. VARed says:

We all believe that an 18 yr old would and should know the difference of right from wrong. But we don’t know the whole story. She may be suffering from postpartum depression or even worse postpartum psychosis which messes with your head and your emotions. If you’ve never had to deal with that then you can’t begin to imagine how a new mother can feel towards her newborn. So let’s not cast stones…

1. HARLEM GOING HAM says:

CASTING STONES? FORGET THAT, LET’S THROW HER BUTT DOWN THE REFUSE CHUTE , 8 STORIES UP , AND SEE IF SHE LIVES.

2. Lisa says:

I agree with Vared. NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THIS POOR GIRL IS GOING THROUGH. SO WHO THE HELL ARE WE TO CAST ANY STONES AT ANYONE.

10. What-a-dum-%*^# says:

Some of the comments on here are crazy. The “child” is obviously “sick.” Isn’t is possible she’s just not a good person? This was not some 12 year old child who had no clue what to do. At 18, and living in the projects (it does make a diiff. because kids in the projects see and experience far more at younger ages) she knew what she was doing. She could have taken that baby to a police station, hospital, church, firehouse, etc. Instead, she chose to throw the baby down a trash chute like yesterdays garbage. I don’t care what color your skin is, where you live and who you are… anyone who can do this to an innocent baby is DISGUSTING and needs to go to prison!

11. FedUp says:

The “age of reason” is seven years old; this woman is EIGHTEEN, and people speak of her as a “child.” Unless she is mentally-challenged with a brain not developed to the age of 7, she knows right from wrong. Murder is wrong everywhere. Don’t make excuses for vicious murderers.

1. PeopleNeed2LearnDaFacts says:

@FedUp I know of this girl and she is mentally-challenged.

12. Peter says:

Toss this MF Cu%t in the incinerator!!!!

13. Brownsville Bud says:

It’s great to be able to say what you want anonymously, and not get your ass kicked! Real Empowering.

14. Earl Jefferson says:

Silly Monkey’s!

1. Brownsville Bud says:

Excuse me?

15. Lillie says:

This is an absolute outrage. As a mother of three adult children I am totally disgusted, where was this young girls’ mother? Please don’t tell me she had no clue she was pregnant. She made the horrifc decision to place her baby in an incinerator, how terrible. She is 18 yet still a child mentally and made the adult decision to lay down with a boy, have unprotected sex and become pregnant.
    This generation is far different from when my children were being raised, everything and everywhere you look is sex oriented. As far as the mother she should have taking her daughter to GYN the moment she looked as though she was interested in sex. This girl and her baby that she discarded will forever be scarred by this situation. Thank God he survived, perhaps now someone who is yearning to have a child will now have the opportunity.

1. Cheeses K. Reist says:

Lillie,

My guess is that the 18 year old is obese, and that ‘hid’ the pregnancy. I hope this kid never learns about his ‘mom’.

16. Bell Toller says:

And where is the baby’s Daddy?

1. popo says:

..fess up bell head. That’s your ‘hood.

17. David Goldstein says:

The more babies she have the more welfare she gets.

1. Brownsville Bud says:

why are you automatically assuming this person is on Welfare?

2. Brownsville Bud says:

David Bronzesteen, your a brave soul..

1. UPTOWN HOMIE says:

I’M A BLACK NEW YORKER, AND I WILL NEVER GOING INTO BROWNSVILLE. THEY ARE FROM ANOTHER PLANET CALLED LET’S ROB AND KILL.

18. SXB says:

It is Truly a Gosh darn shame when Girls do things like this when there are so much other options. I had my daughter April at 17 and during high school at least 65% of girls had a child or 2 abortions!. I was scared w| April , alone , born of a single parent myself . But when I had my daughter it was not the rock bottom you hear it is . Yes yu have to give up some things but in a way it set me on the right path and put me back on the track I had fell off of yrs ago … Never return that boy to his mother nor anybody in that family . Send girl to jail and take every single one of her children away from her if she ever gets pregnant again … If her motherhood didn’t come to her w| him it aint never going to come .

1. The Dawn is Coming says:

That’s it! ship her off to SPACE CAMP for the summer, EVERY SUMMER. Then exile her to the Moon to do time.

19. carlrosen says:

So what? she can go and make another one in another 9 months. Why does she have to be “sick” or depressed. Some people are just no good. Look at Casey Anthony. “Baby? Forget the baby, I wanna paaaaaaaaaaaaaaar-ty!

20. norman b says:

A sad situation…it is evident that this 18yr old “child” is sick…What support did she have? To be called an animal is wrong, she’s definitely got some mental problems…most animals will protect their young even if it means being killed themselves.

21. Rynner says:

You are a SICK F*CK DanTe. Do us all a favor, and take a serrated blade to your own wrists.

22. screenmates says:

She could have just given the baby to a church, firehouse, police station, etc. Why the heck throw the baby down the trash chute? Some judges have passed orders for such mothers to undergo surgeries so that they will never be able to make another baby. Charged for murder – why not??

1. sara says:

agreed

23. sue says:

If our society stopped treating little babies and children like animals, and started treating them like humans, than this “teen”mother would’ve gotten “murder 1” and would serve 25 yrs. But instead, she will get government sponsored psychologist, welfare checks and all benefits our young generation needs not to be productive members of our society.

1. Me says:

..and at some point, she will be given custody of the child she tried to kill.

2. badman says:

our society mistreats animals, to begin with. It does not treat babies and children like animals. really, what are you talking about? you’re an idiot.

24. T. Florentine says:

It’s funny how when young girls in surburban communities make tragic mistakes like this they are not called or referred to as animals, but scared or truamatized young women. From the projects there animals? It is a sad case completely for mother and child.Thank God, the baby survived. Hopefully, his mother will get the mental/social help she needs. Its tragic for both!

1. Diva says:

At T. Florentine, you are telling the truth on this one. I can name a few cases where the girls killed their child and some even walked from it because they came from a prominent family. Go figure

1. Realistically Speaking says:

T. Florentine & Diva,

Untrue. Here on this ‘forum’ the racist & stupid remarks come early and often. When this crime happens in the suburbs you better believe the perpetrators are called animals and worse, as well they should be.

25. career says:

It is a terrible thing for anyone to do to a child. Teenage girls who are not counseled regarding the responsibility of parenting are faced with reality when they give birth. They often realize the nurturing of an infant is 24/7 and they are often left to face that reality alone.

26. mak s says:

where is the baby’s father?
    im sure it would decrease the chance of this incident if baby father is available!

27. Ricardo Flores says:

I’d like to ask Simone Smith if she’d say the same if her grandchild were thrown down a chute. The 18 year old animal deserves an attempted murder conviction. Actually, she really deserves a 45 through her head.

1. Diva says:

So easy for a man to say…. No she shouldn’t get 45 years and she is not an animal, you damn fool.

1. TCB says:

You are absolutely right. An animal wouldn’t toss their new born down a trash shoot.

2. Jody says:

Silly Animal Momkey!

3. Genie says:

“Actually, she really deserves a 45 through her head.”

Diva, where did you get 45 years out of that statement?

Ricardo, it’s remarks like that which give gun owners a bad name. An attempted murder conviction will do until she arrives at judgment day.

28. Chuck A. says:

I’m gratified that people find it to be an outrage that a mother would dispose of her unwanted baby by throwing it in the garbage. But, I wonder why there is no outrage over the thousands of unborn babies who are disposed of in garbage bags after abortions each day. Is it merely the fact that it is legal to kill babies before they are born? If the government some day decides that it is legal to kill babies up to one week after birth, would we then find this case not to be of any concern. Wake up America, abortion is no different than what this troubled mother did to her child. The only difference is this baby had a face we could see, while babies killed by abortion are faceless and nameless…

29. Men's Rights says:

How convenient that women can walk away from their responsibilities as parents with this ‘Safe Haven’ law but if a man does the same thing for the same reasons, he’s a ‘deadbeat’. Why can a woman decide that she doesn’t want or isn’t ready to be a parent but a man can’t?

1. prof says:

Thank you exactly.

2. Diva says:

Men do it all the time and it has nothing to do with the Safe Haven Laws… hint…my dad walk out on us, I never met my daddy,…etc.

3. badman says:

funny when guys talk about “men’s rights.” so wrapped up in their angry, limp-d1ck little world to try to imagine what it’s like to be the underdog.

when a man walks away from his family, the woman is left to provide. a whole lot of women are out there, taking care of kids on their own bc the guy left. If the woman’s at the end of her rope, the safe haven laws protect her.

this has nothing to do with “men’s rights.” you can’t possibly put yourself in these women’s shoes. get over yourself.

4. HARLEM GOING HAM says:

GOOD POINT.

5. Genie says:

Women who use the “Safe Haven” law usually do so because they have been abandoned by the great guys who impregnate them.

The “Safe Haven” law is for the children, not the parents. I imagine some babies are left by 2 parents who for some reason cannot accept the responsibility of the child.

Your reasoning is flawed at best, and non-existent at worst.

6. popo says:

Yes, that IS a sad fact. Abstain from the act and neither will end up paying for playing.

30. Verndale Buchanan says:

“I don’t know what to say,” neighbor Simone Smith said. “I don’t know if she should be punished; I don’t know the whole story.” With this mentality being prevalent in the projects, how can any thinking person be surprised. Not only should this 18 year old mutant be punished, her ability to reproduce should be disabled and she should be imprisoned for life.

1. TCB says:

It’s called a project mentality or ghetto perception. It’s this type of attitude that continues to flourish and lay root to the problems in these communities.

1. Dr. C says:

You are in denial TCB for suggesting that murder is limited to certain communities. Does that opinion make you fell better about yourself?

Perhaps an education is in order here for you to visualize the world through CLEAR lenses?

31. Wuyanbu Zutali says:

Who can make any sense of this?

1. badman says:

certainly not the morons who post their self-hatred-inspired vitriol on this board.

32. vik says:

The mother and anyone else involved should not even be arrested. Bullet to the head of everyone involved and then drop the body off at the landfill. I dont care how young or old they are, black or white, sane or so call crazy.

Trying to kill a baby means death on the spot. Same punishment for any liberal that comes in her defense.

This is a perfect example for judge dread style punishment.

1. Pam says:

Well said

1. jbrutal says:

I’ll bet vik and Pam both call themselves “Christians.” Jesus is quoted as saying, “let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.”

the hypocrisy is so thick you can walk on it. “Christians” – what a joke. What you really need is medication.

33. Momma Deb says:

Now if only someone can find the mother, wrap her in a plastic bag and send her down the same chute.

34. Teresa Radwan says:

HOW SAD HAS THE WORLD BECOME, WHEN A WOMAN CAN GIVE BIRTH TO HER FLESH AND BLOOD AND FEEL NOTHIN.
    THIS JUST SHOWS THE SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS OUR WORLD IS IN

1. badman says:

she felt nothinG? were you there? your presumptuous arrogance is another big part of the “sad state of affairs our world is in.”

Comments are closed.