Teen Shot, Killed In Front Of Crown Heights Bodega

CROWN HEIGHTS, NY (1010 WINS) — Police say a 14-year-old boy was shot and killed Wednesday night outside of a bodega near his home in Crown Heights.

Tyrek O’Hara-Morris went out to ride his bike Wednesday and never returned.

Instead, detectives showed up at his mother’s front door to tell her that her 14-year-old had been shot in the head.

His mother, Althea O’Hara, is trying to cope with her son’s death. “My son was shot, was shot. Got shot in the left eye,” she said.

1010 WINS’ John Montone reports: Victim’s Mother Says She’s Always Felt Safe In Crown Heights Neighborhood

Tyrek was shot around 8:30 p.m., just down the street from his home in front of a bodega at Park Place and Troy Avenue.

Police say he was rushed to Kings County Hospital where he later died.

Althea said she had no reason to worry when her son left the house. “I have no fear of this neighborhood,” she said. “I feel comfortable walking this neighborhood at all hours.”

But a man who lives down the block said the neighborhood is full of gangs and guns.

“My son is a caring, loving, curious child,” said Althea. “He’s a warm, caring person.”

Police say they are questioning people, but so far, no charges have been filed.

More from John Montone
Comments

1. NICK WHITE says:

WHERE DO I START FROM..WELL WILL START WITH THIS A 14 YEAR OLD BOY OR KID.20 YEAR OLD MAN,IF YOU CAN UNDERSTAND MY POINT IT JUST DOES NOT GO AT ALL,MEANING JUST DOES NOT MAKE SENCE TO ME AT ALL.2ND WHEN EVER SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS TO SOMEONE AT SUCH AN EARLY AGE THEY HAVE HAD NO TIME TO LIVE OR EVEN TO DO WRONG.SO REALLY ITS NOT FAIR.NOW MY FAMILY HAS TO DEAL WITH THIS LOSS AND ILL TELL YOU ITS NOT AN EASY THING TO GO THREW.WELL LET ME TAKE YOU GUYS ON A LITTLE RIDE WITH ME THEN YOU CAN UNDERSTAND,1ST YOU CANT SLEEP AT ALL.THEN ONCE YOU DO GET TO SLEEP NOW YOUR DREAMING,THEN ALL YOUR DREAMS ARE MEMORY’S OF YOUR LOST ONES.BUT THEN YOUR MIND STARTS TO PLAY TRICKS ON YOU AS IF ITS JUST A BAD DREAM,YOU WAKE UP CRYING,THEN YOU WAKE UP TO NO THAT IT’S ALL REAL,NOW YOU HAVE TO TRAIN YOUR SELF OR YOUR MIND TO NO THAT YOU WILL NEVER SEE THAT PERSON AGAIN.BUT THEN YOU HAVE QUIET TIMES WHEN YOUR MIND JUST KINDA TAKES OVER THEN YOU BECOME SAD AGAIN THEN THE DEAL STARTS OVER AND OVER AGAIN..NOW IM HIS COUSIN FROM JACKSONVILLE FL.,AND I DID NOT NO HIM VERY WELL,BUT I DO NO AND UNDERSTAND THAT HE WAS A GOOD KID.AND I DO NO THIS,I WILL GET TO SEE HIM AGAIN IN HEAVEN,AND ONCE I DO WE WILL HAVE ALOT OF CATCHING UP TO DO.PLEASE KEEP MY FAMILY IN YOUR PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS.NOW 4 NICK’S WORD OF WISDOM.LIVE EACH DAY LIKE ITS YOUR LAST,OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND TELL THE NEXT PERSON YOU LOVE EM.SEE THE WORD LOVE GOES ALONG WAY,AND THAT’S WHAT WE AS PEOPLE ARE MIISSING.WE WILL NEVER FORGET YOU TYREK AND WE WILL ALWAYS KEEP YOU CLOSE TO OUR HEARTS.NICK….

2. shane says:

tyrek was such a good kid and i dont know why some one would want to hurt him.I knew Tyrek very good.I wonder if the 18 year old that shot him had any heart or was just looking to take someones life.

3. Bricks B says:

The cops need to lock DeQuan Edwards up for the rest of his life because Tyrek O`Hara Morris was one of my bestfriends

4. devante d. says:

well all i can sayy is protect your youngingz and stay in touch neva wlk outside alonee always walk with a group of ppl and watch ur sourrondingz nd beaware and stay alert at all times! and R.I.P ty.

5. soulman72 says:

We have to teach our young how to treat one another , a parent cant be 24hour security guard .Our family values have to be stronge and we have to live by them.

6. The Dark Side says:

Tupac is chillin with them Martians. They done blast a hole into Mars Olympus Mons using a super pulsed fiber laser. SpaceX gonna give it to ya. He the man–Charles F. Bolden, Jr.

7. dd says:

I use a work in the apartment complex to she moves in now
    there is nothing good about that neighborhood day or night even worse in the summertime !
    just around this time last year a boy was shot in the corner of the bodega and her husband saw it happen.

everyone sees everything there but no 1 talks
    it’s a sad world

1. ancil says:

if you dont have a criminal record go become a cop and do something about it you know where the crime is rite,your a victim or are you comfortabble stating a place is dangerous where you dont have to live,you need a smacked face

8. Robert says:

I lived in the Albany Houses across the street from this Bodega for my first 18 years. Moved out in ’73. Neighborhood was in decline then and is worse now.

9. greg says:

Wow R.I.P Ty

10. Jeanine says:

Such a tragedy! Another one of our babies gone to the streets! I pray for his mom and his family…. RIP young man!

11. nyc says:

Another senseless shooting ! There are hundreds of thousands of Illegal weapons on the streets of New York ! When is someone going to get a handle on where all of these Illegal guns are coming from ? When it’s easier to buy a Illegal gun then find a job, you know our society is in trouble !
    Make it easier for law abiding citizens to own a gun !

12. MIKE says:

aALL I CAN DO IS SHAKE MY HEAD. THIS IS SENSELESS! PARENTS PLEASE PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN! I KNOW YOU CANT WATCH THEM 24/7 BUT PROTECT THEM.

REST YOUNG MAN..ANOTHER KING GONE AWAY FROM US.

13. bullett says:

Another senseless killing, and for what? Did he diss someone, or look at them the wrong way? How pathetic.

14. J says:

Probably a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

15. HARLEM GOING H.AM. says:

ANOTHER LIFE WASTED. ONE OF THESE DAYS, WE WILL HAVE SOME REAL GUN CONTROL LAWS. THESE KIDS AREN’T MAKING THESE GUN. THE ADULTS WHO SELL GUNS TO THESE KIDS IS THE ONES THAT NEED TO BE SHOT

1. shy says:

the guns aren’t pulling the triggers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments are closed.