Queens Boy, 10, Severs Fingertip At School; Officials Fail To Recover It‎

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — A gruesome accident at a public school in Jamaica left a young boy with a horrible injury.

What happened next – or, actually, what didn’t hatoppen next – may be even worse, the boy’s mother said.

”They had to pull the skin over my bone,” 10-year-old Esau Gulley told CBS 2’s Scott Rapoport.

Esau and his mother, Sandra, still can’t believe the damage to the boy’s middle finger while in school at P.S. 140 on Monday. The tip of the finger was chopped off below the nail, they said, after getting caught in the hinge of a closing cafeteria door.

“The door closed on it, and when it closed on it, he yanked it out,” Sandra said.

esau gulley 2 Queens Boy, 10, Severs Fingertip At School; Officials Fail To Recover It‎

Esau Gulley, 10, severed the tip of his finger at P.S. 140 in Queens, and doctors couldn't reattach it because officials couldn't find it. (credit: CBS 2)

“I pulled it out fast, but it was too late,” Esau said. “It took the top of my finger off.”

With blood everywhere, Esau said he went to the school nurse’s office, and was then taken by ambulance to Jamaica Hospital, shaken and in pain.

“It kind of scared me,” he said.

When they arrived, his mother said doctors asked if they had the severed fingertip, hoping to reattach it, and that’s when she said she got the shock of her life.

“When we got there, EMS told me they didn’t have it,” Sandra said. “The school said they couldn’t find it.”

Sandra said the fingertip was missing, and that no one managed to pick it up at the time and bring it to the hospital – not the FDNY EMS crew on the scene, and not school officials.

“The doctors couldn’t get it, we have no clue where it is,” she said.

Sandra said doctors could have tried to reattach the fingertip if they’d had it, but that instead, Esau was left with a maimed finger – what she called “a stub.” She said the school eventually found the fingertip on Wednesday, a full two days later.

At the school, the principal told Rapoport that he had no comment on the story.

Sources told CBS 2 that FDNY EMS workers did search for the fingertip for 24 minutes, unsuccessfully, before taking Esau to the hospital.

“I can’t write, I can’t properly dress myself,” Esau said.

The family’s lawyer said the family plans to file a lawsuit against the city and the Department of Education.

For its part, the DOE refused comment, except to say that Esau got his finger caught in a door, and that the school called EMS immediately.

  • TheReasonablyPrudentPerson

    I am so sorry that this sweet child was injured. However, why does every misfortunate and every accident due to carelessness turn into a chance to win the litigation lottery. His mother should have taught him not to put his finger near the door hinge. The teachers cannot be everywhere. He is not a toddler.

  • Sympathetic

    Several hundred children were all thundering out to recess. Two possibilities: 1) finger-tip was lost underfoot; 2) fingertip was picked up by some averagely gruesome 10 year old as souvenir. I think the latter, as it was “found” 2 days later. Now the child knows not to put his fingers into door-hinges. He isn’t maimed or crippled; he doesn’t use the middle finger to dress or write! And he’s lost the tip to the nail — nasty & painful.

  • Get out of America!

    We know that all doors will have o be removed now to stop future law suits. Then terrorists will have an easy target with no doors on the school. Wait, does anyone start to see who the terrorists are? Its the idiots in our country that have an accident and then try to sue everyone they can over it!

  • BF

    Now the kid won’t need an education to get rich. I feel bad for he kid, hopefully he will see through who is at blame and stay in school and become someone great.

  • VeryConservative

    Shouldn’t make any difference in his life as he probably can’t write (or read) anyway. Unfortunately for the rest of us, it wasn’t his future trigger finger.

    • KPMc

      That’s absolutely disgusting. You should be real proud of yourself you neanderthal. Does your conservatism include church or religion? Or do you just use that to your advantage and act like a savage the other 6 days of the week?

    • KPMc

      Conservative my foot… you’re just another hypocrite that has no idea what liberal or conservative means but just throw around the phrases like a parrot, copying the stupid behavior you see on TV.

      • VeryConservative

        KPMc, I apologize for my ignorant comment. He does look like a respectable boy. Was just angry at “Votesharpton’s” just as ignorant comment, which you could have condemned as well.

  • VoteSharpton

    I wonder why officials failed to recover this poor boy’s finger. Maybe because he is BLACK?

    • Steve

      As far as I’m concerned the crew spent WAY too much time looking for the patients finger,you have a 20 minute window to treat and transport that patient if they are stable,i worked in S. Jamaica for 20 years ‘by the way I’m white and treated/saved many BLACK people’ ALSO my brother in Law bought his first house on NYPD overtime, every time Sharpton decided to stir up the public he volunteer for the overtime. LOL

    • shy

      how bout maybe because no one at that school was smart enough to get the tip (wonder who was running that school)

  • Carol

    I work in a hospital. In 3 years, I have seen numerous children due to getting their finger stuck in a door at school. Thankfully none of the kids have lost the finger completely but still, each child came in with a finger barely hanging on.

    This was a freak accident. Accidents happen. Doesn’t mean a lawyer needs to get involved. If this had happened at a friend’s house, would the mom be suing then?

    I am sorry the child can’t write or dress himself, but I bet soon enough he will be back to himself. If not, perhaps some occupational therapy (OT) may help him.

  • DDT

    The report said this happened when a large amount of this boys schoolmates
    were all running through the doors at the same time,the fingertip probably was
    stepped on and unrecoverable,what’s amazing is how is this a prominent news story?

    • Steve

      Slow news day bro

  • franky

    In any other country in the world, it is clearly the childs fault. My parents taught me not to put my hands in the door area.

    In this country they sue the school, and the DOE.

    This is unfortunate, but how is the schools at fault?


    • flea

      “The doors of perception”…..Aldous Huxley

    • doc in NJ

      right on.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Giving Tuesday
Charles Osgood Event

Listen Live