CBS 2′s Tony Tantillo cooks up a delicious summer dish of pasta, tomatoes and eggplant.
Scialatelli con Melenzane:
14 oz Fresh Scialatelli pasta
6 Italian Eggplants (small)
2 cups Campari Tomatoes
1/4 cup Basil
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 pinch Fresh Thyme
1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 pound Burrata Cheese (1 whole)
1/4 cup Parmigiano
1. Slice 2 eggplants into 1/4 inch slices. Dice the remaining 4 eggplant into 3/4 inch cubes.
2. Blanch the tomatoes for 30 sec in boiling water, shock in ice water, peel skins. Dice the tomatoes.
3. Marinate the diced tomatoes in olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and basil to taste. Set aside.
4. Put 1/2 cup of oil into a large pan and heat until wisps of smoke begin to form.
5. Fry the diced eggplant in batches until golden brown, adding more oil if necessary. Remove golden eggplant to paper towels to drain.
6. Lay out the sliced eggplant on a sheet tray and season with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
7. Bake at 350 F for 15 mins or until eggplant is golden.
8. Heat a large pan and add 1/4 cup olive oil. Add tomatoes, garlic, fresh thyme, and the fried eggplant cubes. Season to taste.
9. While the sauce is simmering, drop pasta in boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes. Move cooked pasta directly into the sauce. Toss to combine.
10. Finish by tossing the pasta with the Parmigiano and a pinch of fresh basil.
11. To serve, fan out the baked eggplant slices on a large platter or plate, pile the pasta on top of the slices, and place the burrata cheese on top of the pasta nest.