Councilman James Sanders Outraged After Cabbies Refuse To Take Daughter To Yonkers

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A New York City Councilman believes his skin color had something to do with him not being able to hail a cab in SoHo.

Councilman James Sanders, who is black, said that he and his daughter had just finished eating at a Little Italy restaurant last Friday and walked to SoHo, where she asked him to hail her a cab to Yonkers to see her mother.

According to Sanders, 20 cabs had passed by them without stopping over a 45-minute period.

“I went to the corner and I gave it my best New York try and try and try again,” Sanders told 1010 WINS. “I knew that this was not going to work.”

Sanders, who represents Laurelton, Springfield Gardens, Rosedale and the Rockaway’s, said that he then walked near a “ritzy hotel,” where he spotted a number of cabs stopping.

Sanders didn’t have much luck there either after he told them that he was trying to get his daughter to Yonkers.

“The first two told me they were off-duty, the second two basically told me, they were not going to go there,” he said.

When the councilman’s daughter tried to hail her own cab, she was also told that he wouldn’t take her to Yonkers.  According to Sanders, the cabbie promptly drive “20 feet away and picked up a nice white couple.”

Sanders said he became enraged and called his friend, Taxi and Limousine Commissioner, David Yassky and told him “David we have a problem in New York City, this is outrageous.”

After the futile attempts to get a cab, an onlooker helped get the councilman and his daughter a livery cab.

“This is not an isolated incident,” Sanders said. “I have always had trouble hailing cabs and it is widespread.”

Sanders also lamented that many of those who fought for civil rights also fought for the rights of immigrants, who make up a significant percentage of cab drivers.

“I will defend your right with my last breath. Can I at least have justice in my own city?” Sanders said.

SOUND-OFF: What Do You Think About Cabbie Refusing Fares?  Share Your Thoughts In The Comments Section…

Comments

1. dj says:

ya’ll need a life.

2. Cabbi87 says:

Don’t blame the cabbie’s picking up blacks is dangerious business. If they don’t try to rob you half the time they either won’t pay or will complain about the cost. It’s not worth the efoort to pick them up and I know from experience

1. Not Politcally correct says:

What the real problem is and not addressed is Black people, how come there are black neighborhoods where people dare not tread ? and it is like this in every major city in the USA that has a black population. No matter where you go its the same story, high crime, high murder rate, sexual diseases, broken families, no fathers around, multiple children by multiple fathers, bad test scores, low IQ, , there has to be a correlation, if you want to be politically correct go ahead its your dime, not me, you can not be blind to this, and please don’t tell me it ‘s because of poverty, because one of the poorest states is West Virginia but it has a low crime rate, do you want to know why ? check the demographics

3. Jerry says:

Some cabbies are jerks. Not me though. I would hav e loved to pick up this young lady and drive her to the moon if my garage would allow me to do so. People seem to forget that most cabbies do not own their cabs. Those who do own them are lucky enough to not have to drive them. They lease them to other people who have to return them by 5 pm or 5 am or suffer a late charge of up to 40 bucks sometimes. Ask yourself next time your hailing a cab is it too late to go to the moon?

4. jackie says:

i drove a taxi i the70s for seven yrs i had runins with whites blacks and hispanics
    blacks will burst the doors open and dont pay the fare hispanics do the same .i am not saying that all of these are bad .white ppl are better ,but when they want to get a free ride they say i have to go up and get the fare they go into a building to never see them again or driver ill leave this go and get the fare theyvnever return ,what they left was a bag of trash .you never know who walks into your taxi i will never drive a taxi again a lot of these comments will explane it

5. ace11 says:

I wouldn’t pick up black people either

6. where is my race card says:

I work with a black man and I use that word loosely describing his work ethic and he is the only person in an office of well over 100 people who has not once volunteered for any event or brought in any type of food for potluck but will be the first one in line for the food. When asked why he doesn’t bring anything in his response “why should I”. Very generous person so if he is anything like the rest of them than I would drive by also and not give them a ride. Of course in their minds we owe it to them since you know that slavery thing 150 YEARS ago.

1. badman says:

wait … let me get this straight. you actually know – personally – a BLACK person?

living a sheltered life, are we? do you see any logical problems with judging an entire ethnic group based on the one member of it that your little life allows you to know?

I’ll bet you live in the same town where you were born and grew up; and you’ll die there, too, ignorant, hateful and self-important.

I’m not African American, BTW. Italian/German.

1. mikem says:

I don’t care what you are badman, but I do know that you are politicaly correct, a dangerous mindset for Asian and Caucasians, there are thousands of square blocks of New York City that law abiding citizens can not walk through because of the color of their skin and I am not talking black, read the color of crime, blacks not only prey on each other they also prey on Asian and Caucasians at an alarming rate, and this political hack is talking about cabs !!!

2. SAWB says:

You can get the BOY out of the Ghetto, but you will never get the Ghetto out of the BOY!

7. rmmm says:

Blacks commit more crime, how many cabbies have been killled or robbed >>and how many of the killers and robbers were black>> TADA! thats why they will not pick up an African American

1. mike says:

Shocking Statistics

Between 1976-2005, blacks made up 13% of the US population, but committed 59% of felony murders. Overall, blacks are 9 times more likely to commit murder than whites.
      Source: US DOJ

8. Le Nwwaert says:

Le Nwwaert · 31 years old
    IS IT RACIAL PROFILING OR STATISTICAL PROFILING…IF I WAS ROBBED OR RIPPED OFF 20 TIMES AND 15 OF THOSE TIMES IT WAS A PERSON WEARING A RED GLOVE WITH WHITE BOOTS AND ALL MY CABBIE FRIENDS TELL ME STORIES OF BEING RIPPED OFF BY PEOPLE WEARING A RED GLOVE AND WHITE BOOTS…THEN, ID STOP PICKING UP PEOPLE WEARING A RED GLOVE AND WHITE BOOTS…ITS CALLED COMMON SENSE….

1. Dale Auburn says:

It’s not profiling at all – it’s municipal geography.

Yonkers is OUTSIDE the city limits, so NYC cabbies can refuse to go there. Why is nobody willing to admit that?

1. nathan says:

I immediately realized the same thing Dale. Its not that they are not willing to admit it – its that the posters here are too ignorant 24/7.

9. NoMoreExcuses says:

As a 9 year veteran cabbie, I can tell you two things: One, that negro riders do not tip, regardless of the quality of service given them. Tips make up 30-50% of a cabbies wage. Would you go to work for half-wages? I think not.

Second, every time I’ve had problems with a fare, they were negroes. Refuse to pay because they think I took the long route, don’t have enough money to pay the fare, scream at me for running the meter correctly, attempts to rob me, assault me, cause damage to my cab, etc., you name it, a negro has either done it or tried it on me. I just flat out will not accept a negro flagdown. My city makes us pick them up if they call, but even then 3/4 of the time they get a ride and don’t call to cancel.

Yea, if I get a choice, I’m taking anybody else but a negro.

1. HARLEM GOING HAM says:

I WOULDN’T TIP ANYBODY THAT USES THE WORD NEGRO. MOST OF YOU CABBIES AREN’T USA CITIZENS, AND DON’T KNOW ROADS/ STREETS OF NYC. LASTLY, TAKE YOUR CAB AND SHOVE IT.

1. Daniel P says:

“Negro” is the French word for “black”. What’s wrong with that word ?

2. NoMoreExcuses says:

Well, if I am to be honest, I’m a native born, white, citizen, idiot, who is retired from his first career. Secondly, I say “negro” because that’s what they are. I’m sorry your grammar skills are horrible, and you can’t find your CAPS LOCK key.. Why don’t you run along and play in traffic like a good little Negro…?

10. gwen says:

i like what Mr Sanders mentioned “he fought for rights of others, including the many immigrants that now drive for the TLC”. how quickly they forgot their own tribulations! always happens that way!! african americans & other afro-ethnic people of shades are always facing these dilemnas, nothing new for 2011.

1. mike says:

the majority of cabbies in new york are people of color, they are there to make a living, there has to be a reason why they will not pick up an African American, Could it be that a number of African American customers have conditioned them to do this ? Do they have a problem picking up a Chinese or an Indian person ? There has to be a reason why they are hesitant

11. Yahoo! says:

I never had a problem getting to Jamaica Queens. I am dark skin and dress in pants, tshirt and have tattoos

1. Red Warrior says:

With all the negro crime of cab drivers being robbed, shot and even killed I do not blame the cab drivers at all. Some cab drivers have even gone so far as to wear bullet proof vest. Just because she is a female does not make her any less dangerous. Instead of complaining about a “slight” a negro might of suffered look at the facts and statistics.

12. CSI says:

This looser has to consider that cab drivers only make money getting there and not coming back down to the city. So it is understood that the cab driver doesn’t want to go there. Unfortunately for the cab drivers they do get people hopping out of cabs and getting mugged and hurt. Mostly by minorities. I have friends in the cab business who tell me wild stories about what happens to them.

1. Get the Facts says:

Hey genius. The fare doubles when you leave NYC. Get your facts straight!

13. Outer_Borough says:

Skip all the race hoo-ha!

I’m an elderly white woman, and when I’ve needed a cab from City Hall to Riverdale, I’ve had ENDLESS trouble. OK, I do understand even picking up passengers is tough in Park Row traffic, especially with bus lanes. And the chance of getting a fare BACK to Manhattan from the Bronx (Yonkers is worse!) is slim. But after I stand there over half an hour, I’m tired and grumpy.

And I’m not amused to be “forgiven” for slavery and Southern Jim Crow laws. How very SMUG of you! My family arrived in NYC — on WEST 125th STREET, just in time to be drafted into WW I, starved through the Great Depression, served in WW II, Korea, Viet-Nam, and the last illegal actions. Any image you have of the poor 20th C. immigrant as Plantation Massa is manure.

14. Dale Auburn says:

Last I checked, Yonkers was OUTSIDE the city limits. Aside from Newark Airport, cabbies ARE allowed to reject non-NYC destinations.

15. HARLEM GOING HAM says:

THE FUNNY PART OF THIS WHOLE SITUATION IS IF BLACK PEOPLE DIDN’T PROTEST, MARCH AND DIE FOR CIVIL RIGHTS IN THE 50’S AND 60’S THOSE GUY’S WOULD BE AT THE END OF A KKK NOOSE OR RIDING ON THE BACK OF THE BUS. AS A MATTER OF FACT, ALL THESE MINORITIES THAT JUST ENTER THE USA VIA THE AIRPORT OR THE FENCE IN TEXAS, SHOULD KISS BLACK AMERICANS BUTT FOR THE RIGHTS THEY ENJOY.

1. MSavage says:

Kiss “black ameericans butt”? Don’t the politicians have that part covered already?

1. HARLEM GOING HAM says:

IT’S JUST LIP SERVICE. LOL

2. MSavage says:

**typo** Americans

16. Dr. E.R. says:

you must be a SLOW LEARNER….explains why you drove for 2 years….

1. Alvin Czyczrk says:

Dear Dr. ER:

You obviously have been insulated and isolated form these junglebats by your hospital walls. We people in the trenches, however know the inherent evil nature of these concrete-jungle savages. It is a good thing that they come color-coded (just as many of your medical implements do) so that we working people know who to avoid. Picking up a black fare just isn’t worth it. Virtually all the robberies and murders of taxi and livery cab drivers are done by n-ig-gers!

Also these coloreds have the “chimpout gene” as part of their DNA. It has a locus on chromosome 17, and is very prominent in Negroes. You can pick up a Negro fare and engage in civilized discussion. Everything seems to go well, until the chimpout gene gets turned on. Then watch out. You have a chimping nlg6er in the back seat. Anyway, if all the Negroes disappeared from NYC tomorrow, we cabbies would not miss them!

17. working in the city says:

Hi I am white and tried to hale a cab on E. 35th street. I was passed by a large amount of cabs that were empty and would not stop to pick me up. I think this is a problem throught out the city no mater what color you are or if you tip good or not. I think the mayor has to do something about this growing problem.

18. MSavage says:

Maybe if black people do not act in the way that they generally do, then more taxi scabs would be willing to pick them up. And it can’t all be blamed on the white man (or any other race), which black people LOVE to do. I am white, and I will admit a good bit fault with my own race. When will black people do the same? They have only gotten on a higher horse since obama has been “president”.

1. HARLEM GOING HAM says:

I’M A BLACK PROFESSINAL, AND IT’S UNFAIR TO HOLD ANYONE RESPONSIBLE FOR SOMEONEELSE’S ACTS. I DON’T BLAME TODAY’S WHITE PEOPLE FOR WHAT FOREPARENTS DID DURING SLAVERY AND THE JIM CROW ERA. IF A PERSON HAS THE MONEY, RENDER THE SERVICE THE LAW REQUIRES THEM TO RENDER. PERIOD. IF A CAB DRIVER WORRYS ABOUT BEING PAID, ASK FOR THE $ UP FRONT.

1. Lester McConroy says:

Mr. Black “professinal” [sic]

The best thing that happened to you blacks was slavery. Your bros in Africa captured you and sold you to the slave traders and you were shipped to America where your life improved 100-fold from what is was on the Serengeti (even if you were slaves). Back in the good old days, the whites used proper corrective measures to suppress the inner chimp, so you blacks were as behaved as you could expect from savages. There was a reason for the Jim Crow laws, and it was not the color of your skin, but rather the content of your character that happens to be linked to the color of your skin.

The inner chimp is genetic as is the color of your skin. The only bad part is that we let you walk among us to wreak havoc to our civilized society. For a relatively low percentage of the population, I see nearly 100% black faces in the NYS penitentiaries and in RIkers.

I can see by your spelling that you are a product of apefirmative action.

check out Irateirishman dot com/blog and chimpout dot com for the truth.

2. badman says:

jeez Lester… the Irish were seen as the dirtiest, most unwanted group in the US 150 years ago… irate irishman, for sure. but nobody spews that kind of hate without his own personal reasons (tiny d1ck, fat wife, who knows)… what’s your story? Tell me in your most angry, hateful words – it’s actually pretty funny.

on top of that, “Harlem Going Ham” isn’t even really black, so you’re even to stupid to hate the right people. look deep inside, Paddy. You’re the problem, not them.

2. Mike says:

He’s right Julie. The darks can be completely out of control at times. Generally you can tell a thug from a well mannered black, by age and attire though.

3. bob says:

Julie unless you drive a cab, you just don’t know, its scary out there

19. hackergo says:

This is an OUTRAGE! First off we have to pass a law that any mention or denoting ones RACE must be eliminated from a civil society’s vocabulary. I hate the terms black white asian etc…what does it have to do with ANYTHING?? It simply divides us!! We are all humans and yes this is horrendous…BTW I’m white! Hated to say that but FYI in case you have any racist comments you idiot cretins!

1. Bingo says:

Hack blacks are 12% of the population but commit over 50% of the murders in this country, I let that little fact guide me, want more stats that put blacks in a bad light just go to the FBI crime stats, they are just a deadly people, 48% of black woman have highly contageous herpes among other deseases, I have educated myself to know the facts

20. Taxi Driver says:

A NYC taxidriver must take a passenger anywhere in the 5 boro’s and Westchester county Nassau county and Newark airport.If these guys don’t want to do the job according to the rules Fire Them no second chance.

1. Steve says:

Fire them? The the majority of the taxi fleet in NYC work for themselves.
      Bottom line is…as I was once was a taxi driver in the 1980’s to put my way thru school (2 yrs 1982 & 1983) I would not pick up any shady characters ‘white people included’ I definitely did not drive or pick up passengers past 96th street unless i had to, AND I refused MANY MANY fares to the outer boro’s during rush hour.
      If I did I would never have made it thru school ‘I payed for school from driving a taxi’ and gotten a good job and worked 20 years for NYC as a public servant AND retired with a pension. You know what (I) do when I go to NYC? I take a subway and then when its time to go home I call a car service and have them take my ‘White ass’ home, I NEVER had a problem yet.

1. HARLEM GOING HAM says:

LOL, YOUR STYLE IS PROPER.

21. Murray Hill says:

Oh here we go with the race card. The guy wanted the taxi to take her to freakin Yonkers! That’s not even in New York City. Taxis are required to take a fare to anywhere the want within the five boroughs, which Yonkers is not part of. Now we’ve all had cabs refuse to take us to anywhere besides Manhattan, regardless of our skin color—nevermind through the Bronx all the way to Westchester County! It sounds to me like there is only one racist person in this situation who sees skin color first and the facts second—and it’s Councilman James Sanders.

1. Tim R. says:

Hey Solomon..I mean…”Murray” Hill….explain the first “20” flags?

22. SAN MAN FROM QUEENS says:

WHAT NO DOLLAR VANS IN SOHO. HE SERVES AN AREA THAT HAS DOLLAR VANS RUNNING PEOPLE OVER JUST TO MAKE A BUCK. MAYBE HE SHOULD ADDRESS HOW AGGRESSIVE THOSE VAN DRIVERS ARE IN SPRINGFIELD GARDENS, ROSEDALE, LAURELTON AND THE ROCKAWAYS.

23. Jane says:

I am a black female physician in the city. I can not tell you how many times I have had cabbies drive by me, on to watch them drive up and pick up a non black person ahead of me. It has been troubling and humiliating.

Its a huge problem in NYC. You can ask ANY black person in the city of whatever professional status and I am sure they will have lots of stories to tell about cabbies that only see color. The racism by cabbies is outrageous. My friends and I have discussed setting up a website to reports these drivers.

1. Kensington says:

Please set up the website….f.y.i. cellphone footage of the refusal IS admissable.

2. MIKE says:

THAT WOULD BE A GREAT!!!! IDEA..

SET IT UP I WILL DEFINATELY BE AN ADVOCATE FOT THAT

3. Liz Zinone Turoski says:

You can also as ANY white person in the city and they will tell you stories about being pased up by cabs. Some cabbies won’t pick you up because of your race. However, there are many other reasons cabbies won’t pick you up.

24. Re says:

“Blacks are very poor tippers”, you say? Blow it out yer rear end, buddy!!! I am poor and I tip cabbies (and restauraunt and bar employes) generously. In the cabbies case, it’s out of respect and gratitude that they got me to my destination safely and efficiaciously. Also, I’m in empathy of the frustration and harship many of them go through, especially the immigrants. Lastly, I’ve never had a problem hailing a cab, nor of them disagreeing to take me anywhere I’d wanted to go within logistical reason. (From SoHo to Yonkers? You gotta be kidding!) By the way, Lauralton and Yonkers are in Long Island and Westercher County, respectively. Mr. Sanders is angling to bring up an old issue that even Mr. Danny Glover agrees is now passe!

25. RBrooks says:

Not buying it. Maybe it’s HIM they don’t like. Other blacks aren’t complaining. hmm….

1. Re says:

There’s no “maybe” about it. In this case, it is about Councilman’s Sanders’ arrorogance!!!!

1. Len says:

What…is he “uppity” too?
        Thanks for the observation Charles…or should I say…”Mr. Charlie”?

2. BLACK NY'ER says:

OTHER BLACKS DON’T COMPLAIN CAUSE WE KNOW BETTER NOT TO MESS WITH YELLOW CABS. HOWEVER, IT’S STILL WRONG

26. John A says:

Inside a Cab driver’s mind:

1) Hey there is a black guy hailing me. Based on my past experiences with black people, the odds of me getting a tip from him are 5%

2) Or I could pass him by and find someone of any other race within 60 seconds, and the odds of getting a tip from them is 80%. Yeah, that sounds good

1. Re says:

“John A” you’re evil, even in the sight of you’re own children (if you have any). Most likely, it’s the creepy vibe you give off to certain ppl, I bet you’re one of those who wouldn’t tip a plain-jane waitress as generously as you would a “Hooters Gal” serving you cheap swill. The qualifier also being that you’re a hetro-sexual to begin with!

Many blacks tip adequately and even generously. You’re a rancid bigot because you can’t distiguish if Carribean, African, African-American, Afro-Hispanics, Spics proper(who I KNOW don’t tip at all,) South Asians, and East Asian; and lastly RUSSIANS, East Euro-Trash, and “Balkaneses” are nortorious for not tipping!!!
      So, BLOW*IT*OUT*YER *MUTHA’S*REAR*END!!!

2. To Insure Prompt Service TIPS says:

Giving a working man a decent tip for polite and courteous service is a sign of self repect.

I don’t know if blacks tip blacks, but as any service person knows. Blacks don’t tip non blacks, except in rare instances.

The not so secret truth is out.

27. F. Harvey says:

Welcome to the 21st century.

28. Joey Potsnpans says:

Black people unfortunately are very poor tippers..Cabbies and waiters know this first hand… What is very interesting is the biggest and best tippers are working class folks ( the upper middle class and wealthy tip poorly) yet black working class and black middle to upper middle class have almost no conception of tipping…… I had 3 black friends at my wedding and no surprise, there gifts were the lightest.

1. F. Harvey says:

How sad.

2. Moe says:

YOU have 3 black “friends”? Yeah, o.k.

3. Blackman Laughing says:

THEY DIDN’T LIKE THE FOOD. NEXT TIME SERVE SOUL FOOD. LOL

29. Heartslord says:

He said most wouldn’t even stop so that could be race. As to leaving Manhattan we’ve ALL been told to kiss off on that point.

30. bugjackblue says:

I briefly drove a cab in NYC about 25 years ago. At the orientation lecture, the shop supervisor explicitly told us “don’t pick up anyone you don’t want to pick up and don’t go anywhere you don’t want to go… be a liberal on your own time and don’t risk your life over some stupid principle.” And what he meant, of course, was “don’t pick up any black customers heading uptown toward Harlem.” This was part of the official orientation lecture!

31. Larry A. Singleton says:

In this day and age I have a hard time thinking it’s a race issue either. I wonder if they’re simply afraid for their lives. And any idiot knows that that’s not race. It’s reality. see racism my facebook page.

32. Bill says:

The Councilman has a huge chip on his shoulder. I am white and have had the same experience. I can’t get cabs to take me even to QUEENS. It’s not race genius. These guys don’t want to leave the island of Manhattan, where they can make more money. They get no money on the return trip to Manhattan. Always race with some people.

1. LB says:

Exactly. I’ve tried a number of times to get a cab from SoHo to Astoria, both in the middle of the day and late at night. It consistently takes me forever to flag one down on Lafayette. And when I do get one to stop, I have to fight with them to take me “all the way” to Astoria.

Oh, I’m a white girl.

It’s not your race, Councilman. It’s the fact that yellow cabs refuse to leave Manhattan.

1. Oscar says:

….explain the fist “20” non stopping cabs?

33. Herbie Original Situation Raskin says:

So, why do you think the taxi drivers are acting like this?

Comments are closed.