Jones Beach 4th Of July Fireworks Show Canceled Again Over Safety Concerns

WANTAGH, N.Y. (WCBS 880) — Safety concerns have caused the July 4th fireworks show at Jones Beach to be canceled for a second year in a row. 

The once very popular show had been held annually for 15 years before officials at the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation said there were not enough trained park police officers to safely hold the display.

Best Of CBS New York: The 5 Best July 4th Parties And Events In NYC

The agency said it lost many officers to retirement and other agencies.

WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reports: The Show May Not Be Back For A While

Until more officers are trained it is likely the show would be canceled again next year. The last police academy class was in 2008.

The agency has been in talks with the Department of Environmental Conservation about having its officers help to patrol the parks.

Where will you be watching the fireworks? Let us know below…

More from Sophia Hall
  • nyc

    Have people become such savages that great outdoor events like this have to be cancelled because of a lack of security ? This is really a sad commentary of our society today !

  • IgnoranteElephante

    Who’s everyone? You seem to be the only one commenting or offering any type of opinion and the story doesn’t suggest any “surprise.”

    • jojo

      E did not indicate “everyone”, it was “anyone”. I guess that is why you named yourself Ignorante. Before you comment learn to read.

    • IgnoranteElephante

      That was directed at “E.”

  • E

    Why is anyone suprised about this show being cancelled? There is just no money around to spend on something like this?

blog comments powered by Disqus
Giving Tuesday
Charles Osgood Event

Listen Live