Mets’ K-Rod: Trade To Yankees? Sure, I’d Set Up For Mariano Rivera

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez knows he might be a goner by the July 31 trading deadline, and he’s not against serving in a setup role for a contending team.

Including the Yankees.

“If I am going to be traded, obviously I want the opportunity to close out games,” K-Rod told the the New York Daily News on Thursday, “but if it’s going to be good teams like the Yankees or the Rays, and it’s going to be for two months, I can go out there and help them out.”

Last month, the fiery closer said though he wants to stay with the club, he would consider waiving his no-trade clause — and vesting option — if the Mets want to make a trade.

One catch: the interested team would have to give him a new multi-year contract extension.

If K-Rod finishes 55 games this season, he’ll trigger a $17.5 million option for next season. Otherwise, his contract can be bought out for $3.5 million. Rodriguez has 28 finishes on the year so far.

“I would definitely love to stay here,” he told the paper, “but I have to be open to every possibility out there right now.”

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told the Daily News on Wednesday that, though Jose Reyes won’t be coming to the Bronx, he’s not against swapping players with the Mets.

“I’m not afraid to make a trade with them. I’ll do anything,” Cashman said.

What do you say to K-Rod? Sound off in the comments below…

Comments

1. Bob Fowler says:

I have been spewing for weeks now, Reyes and K-Rod to the Yankees for Hughes, Joba and Nunez. Hughes and Joba are definite maybes, and Nunez is a good, not great, player. The Mets save salaries and the Yankees get the bullpen help they need, as well as a lead-off batter who is playing for a new deal.

Would you seriously start Jeter over Reyes this year?

2. Tom G says:

How about some writers start writing about the Mets as playoff contenders? How about they stop writing about which Met is going where and what the Mets can use to get them into the playoffs. Look around the NL. Are any of the wild card contenders better than the Mets? If, and I know it’s a big IF with the Mets, but if Wright can come back, Ike can come back and the team continues to battle- why can’t they play 10 games over from here on in? I’m sick and tired of hearing what Met is going where. The season isn’t half way over and the Mets are 5.5 out of a playoff spot. That’s a 11-3 week away from being in the playoff spot IMO. All these sports writers follow the same damn script. Wake up guys- the Mets are competing. How about giving them some respect for a change. Good grief.

1. Paul D says:

Yeah, they’re competing. And that’s due to the real baseball people they put in place upstairs. But the damage done is too deep to fix this season. Wright and Reyes have wilted down the line for too many times to trust that they won’t do that again. Championships beget champions just as easily as the other way around. I’m sorry to tell you this, but give up the ghost. A weary man in the desert can convince himself that he’s found a cistern in the middle of an arid vastness, but in the end he’ll only choke on sand.

3. scorp980 says:

More like sure I’ll blow games for the Yankees.

4. mike says:

Set up for Mariano Rivera? You mean set up for David Robertson.

5. sahil says:

Joba’s down and so is Pedro. I could understand a trade like this but if Soriano comes back then that bullpen might be overstuffed.

6. Arthur says:

Don’t the Yankees already have a problematic, expensive closer-turned-setup man?

1. V Anthony says:

You guys are all nuts, Who cares what he says, he has 20 saves, 20! He’s 2 off major league lead. On a team with a sub 500 record. Who the heck is going to save for the Mets. Bobby Parnell. People kill me. I could care less what these guys say and do. I care only about how they play baseball. Without K-Rod were 10 games under easy. Wake up people

1. Kurt Spitzner says:

So where exactly is it that you think “we ” are now,and where do you see the team in the near future where he or anyone else other than Reyes would make any difference on a bland team!Nothing crazy about that but if hes crazy enough to go to the Yankees then the Mets better have the stones to make them pay the whole tab or he may as well go down with the rest of the Wilpon ship!

7. Kurt Spitzner says:

KROD OR BETTER YET FRANKIE FLOWERS AS JASON KEIDEL MORE APTLY REFERS TO HIM AS HAS A REAL SET OF STONES FOR SAYING THAT ALL OF A SUDDEN HE CAN GET PSYCHED UP AS A SET UP MAN WHEN IN THE PAST HE HAD ADRENALINE ISSUES IF GAMES WEREN’T ON THE LINE! PRIOR TO THIS SEASON ANYWAY SO I GUESS ASSAULTING HIS FUTURE FATHER IN LAW MELLOWED HIM OUT…..OR IS IT THE MONEY????LETS JUST SEE HIM SET UP ESPECIALLY ACROSS TOWN WITH THE BIG BOPPERS AND SEE WHAT HE CAN DO.I KNOW HES BEEN IN THE AL BUT HE HASN’T BEEN ON THE YANKEEES SO HE BETTER BE CAREFUL FOR WHAT HE WISHES FOR AS HE JUST MAY GET IT.I COULD CARE LESS WHERE HE GOES AS LONG AS ITS OUT THE DOOR REGARDLESS OF HOW WELL HES DOING HE IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A CANCER IN THE METS DUGOUT/PEN.

8. brooklyn4ever says:

Hopefully the 4 is an express cause he can’t get his butt out of Citi fast enough. The Yankee’s can have you.

9. dabooch says:

No, Robertson is doing a good job.

10. Laurie says:

U can have him if we get back ready to play Great prospects

11. I’ve already touched on the possibility of this last week in my blog. Please read http://dmazzle.blogspot.com/2011/06/yanks-in-position-to-take-advantage-of.html?m=1. The Yankees should take on K-Rod.

Comments are closed.