Amityville At Odds With Stop & Shop Over New Logo

AMITYVILLE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Some town fathers are said to be concerned over, of all things, the new sign and logo being displayed at Stop & Shops nationwide and coming soon to a location in Amityville.

WCBS 880’s Ginny Kosola With The Story

Small businesses on Merrick Road in Amityville generally post small, tastefully painted signs, but Mayor Peter Imbert told a newspaper recently the Stop & Shop colors are inappropriate for a Victorian, nautical-style village. CBS 2’s Scott Rapoport attempted to get clarification from the mayor on Tuesday, but was told he was unavailable.

Amityville has an ordinance limiting signs to historical colors, like Revere Pewter and Moticello Rose, to help preserve the village’s Colonial roots. The colors featured in the supermarket giant’s new logo aren’t on any of the accepted palettes.

“Any sign that is to be made in this village has to be approved by this color chart,” local sign shop owner Peter Kourounis told Rapoport.

The old Stop & Shop logo (credit: AP)

The old Stop & Shop logo (credit: AP)

In a statement, Stop & Shop public and community relations manager Arlene Putterman told Rapoport her company has stores in historic communities like Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Newport, R.I., adding: “Our sign has had no negative impact on the character, reputation or charm of any of these communities.”

Residents who live in the area have been a little more forgiving, with some literally shaking their heads over a dispute that’s looked at by many as being quite silly. “Les,” a resident since 1948, said, after all, it is a grocery store.

“From a distance, you drive along a road at night, you know a Sunoco gas station. You see their signs,” he said.

“If it isn’t super big or elaborate, I don’t see any objection,” added another resident.

One store employee said it’s too bad there’s such controversy over a logo that promotes healthy eating.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below.

Comments

1. Veronikah says:

How about worrying about making the streets of Amityville safe? That S&S is in one of the safer, cleaner areas of Amityville…leave them alone and check out what’s going on further down the road.

2. not surprised says:

Imbert is a pompous overspending idiot. He has jacked up the village taxes by building a new town hall, ridiculously large maint. sheds, etc….wThere is absolutely no uniformity to any signs on Broadway, the stores are in disrepair and filthy (but he chooses not to enforce that because they are his buddies)

Get a clue….and stop trying to extort money from a business that actually chose to invest in your fiefdom….

3. Hose 1 says:

Go thru the town on Broadway or RTE 110 The signs are all different. This mayor is a mess. He’s the guy who wanted a 25 % tax increase and its was not his fault

4. iggy says:

a new sign? in amityville? oh the horror!

5. Clemdane says:

When I saw the headline I immediately figured the new Stop & Shop logo was a floating pig with red glowing eyes.

6. Tom Garett says:

The new Stop&Shop logo does stink, but putting that aside, this issue is ridiculous……….”It’s Time To Stop&Shop”………………………For what it’s worth, S&S is not nationwide….@Rina, I paid $32.67 for a XBOX 360 and my mom got a 17 inch Toshiba laptop for $94.83 being delivered to our house tomorrow by FedEX. I will never again pay expensive retail prices at stores. I even sold a 46 inch HDTV to my boss for $650 and it only cost me $52.78 to get. Here is the website we using to get all this stuff, PennyTop.c0m

1. lydia says:

I have a wacky thought there Mayor…how about you worry less about a stupid grocery store sign and more about school numbers, unemployment, etc?
      I am a 28 years old doctor, mature and beautiful.and now I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Andromeda2002 on–s’e’ek’c’ou’ga’r.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!

1. Clark A. says:

I tried to look you up last night at http://www.seekcougar.com, username: Andromeda 2002, but to no avail.

7. Mike Conway says:

Ridgefield, Connecticut had a “Gray and White” sign policy until McDonald’s arrived. The town went to court. They lost.

8. lmm says:

as you go through certain areas of amityville you would see they have bigger problems than the stop and shop sign!!!

9. flea says:

The new Stop&Shop logo does stink, but putting that aside, this issue is ridiculous……….”It’s Time To Stop&Shop”………………………For what it’s worth, S&S is not nationwide.

10. Victorian, nautical-style……Amityville? We’re not talking about Massapequa here, are we?

For non-residents, yes, Long Island is that segregated and bigoted. Islanders, you know what I’m saying

1. The Mayor of Amityville says:

Lick my nutsack.

11. Slip me a bribe says:

This politician wanted a bribe, plain and simple. 5k would have smoothed it over. Sad thing is most businesses would have paid, this one didn’t.

12. diver923 says:

Dear Mr. Mayor have you seen certain sections of Amityville? Maybe you have more important things to concern youself about than a logo. What a jerk!

13. Flynn says:

Amazing the bandwagons some politicians jump on.

1. PIKE BISHOP JR. says:

yes the bandwagon is bribery..amerika..where money doesnt talk..it swears

14. M says: