Animal Care & Control Rescues Kitten Allegedly Thrown Onto Verrazano Bridge

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Animal Care & Control of NYC says one of its employees witnessed a kitten being thrown from the window of a moving car on the Verrazano Bridge Saturday.

In a news release, the non-profit pet organization said an animal control officer stopped his vehicle and helped rescue the kitten with the assistance of some truck drivers, who blocked traffic.

The kitten, which was at the edge of the bridge, was rescued and taken to AC&C’s Staten Island Care Center.

Staff at the facility decided to name the five-month old black kitten “Verrazano.”

“It is unthinkable that someone could do something so heartless and cruel to an animal,” said Julie Bank, Executive Director of AC&C.

The organization is looking for more witnesses to come forward with any information that would help find the person or persons responsible for throwing the kitten.

If you have any information, you can email the group at info@nycacc.org or visit www.nycacc.org.

Meanwhile, the latest act of animal cruelty follows a similar one on Long Island last month. A 9-week-old black kitten was thrown from a moving vehicle on June 8 in Amityville.

The Suffolk County SPCA was offering a $1,000 reward for information in that case.

Comments

1. lelegirl419 says:

i want to take it home with me

2. Susan says:

I too owned a rescued kitten back in 1973, thrown from a car on the ramp to the Brooklyn Bridge. What sorry souls these people must be.

3. T says:

Awwww____ so cute and precious little one

4. Tara says:

My Dad was driving on the Verrazano Bridge about 7 years ago when he too rescued a kitten from the bridge on the way home the kitten climbed into the dashboard of my dad’s Saturn and my Dad had to practically take the dashboard apart to get him out, our family then took him in as part of the family and named him Flea

5. Kitten Baked Alive says:

The kitten named Tiger Lily, belonged to a former roommate of one of the teens.

Authorities say after a falling out, the two teens broke into the former roommate’s apartment last month, poured bleach on the walls and slit the sofa and electrical cords.

They then put the kitten in the oven and left as the animal cried and scratched at the oven door in the Bronx apartment, authorities said.

ASPCA officials say the kitten was so severely burned that a necropsy had to be performed to determine its sex.

The 14-year-old was charged Wednesday with aggravated animal cruelty and burglary. Cheyenne Cherry, 17, had previously been charged with arson, burglary, criminal trespass and aggravated animal cruelty.

1. Moon Them says:

Please post pictures of Charles F. Bolden, Jr. everywhere. He was appointed by Obama himself to be the new NASA Administrator. These kids should be looking up to Mr. Bolden, as a shining exemplar.

2. james says:

I think that was your child in the oven after it got raped

1. Mooning James says:

Put your Lip Plates back on, and write on the blackboard 100 times:

I will not rape another child again.

3. Cristina says:

I AM CRYING SO BAD RIght now, who can do that ? Why? HOW IS THAT fair? Oh my God, who does that? I just cant believe somebody would do something like that. Why put that little soul thru something like that. I am crying so much right now it is only 6 AM. god rest that little soul.

1. CJAFHH says:

I know Cristina, I can’t even think about it, it is beyond sad, it’s horrific, I pray for the poor kitty who suffered so. Poor thing…I’m speechless and full of grief over reading this.

6. Frank says:

Suspect driver has large bulbous head with three long strands of hair. Face with large eyes, orange lips resembling a beak, bright yellow complexion. Car had vanity license plates with the name ‘TWEETY-BIRD’ on them.

7. thor's hammer says:

pyhyllis – thank you for your kind offer. i have another idea. i say we find this lowlife, and have him be the quality checker for bungee cords. since he likes action on the bridge, we can get a box or 5 of bungee cords (if there’s a recall on them, all the better), hook him up, and he can yell “verrazano” as he takes a leap for product safety, oops, can he swim? it’s a long way down & back. i promise to check the safety harness myself. loser!

8. MR. GOEBBELS says:

9. j says:

Corrupt DOJ employees (FBI and DEA) poisoned my dog to death because I called the San Francisco Attorney Generals office to complain that they where fabricating evidence and stealing from me.

The FBI and DEA use murder to close bad cases.

1. DANNY says:

hence 911

10. Concern says:

charityusa.com, goodsearch.com, upromise.com, isearchigive.com, & fundraising-solutions.org(jimmy.org posts)

11. Phyllis Sorrentino says:

i drive a very fast sports car.i wish i could find him/her,tie him/her to my car bumper and i would be happy to drag them over the verrazano bridge and would be happy to pay the toll.

1. danny says:

Honey, I got the tolls and gas and rope😉

12. stephi says:

I believe in an eye for an eye. If this heartless person could do this to a little kitten, I would hate to think what this person would do to a child.

1. Dehydrated Emaciated Kittens says:

August 22, 2009

MANHATTAN, N.Y. (WPIX)— Police say a Manhattan man secretly killed at least four of his girlfriend’s cats, even after she unsuspectingly adopted new cats.

Sean Lynde was arrested Friday on charges including felony and animal cruelty. According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), two of his girlfriend’s cats died – one by poising and another beaten – shortly after Lynde moved into her apartment.

The girlfriend later adopted two kittens. According to the ASPCA, one mysteriously died in a fall, and the other had trouble walking due to a trauma and was returned to a shelter.

Lynde pleaded not guilty at an arraignment and has been freed on $5,000 bail, according to his attorney.

13. nathan says:

“Mr Goebbels” did it. Thats how he rolls.

1. pricenton1991 says:

that’s exatly what you are and eat — goebble goebbel (or gobble gobble Mr. Gobbles) Ha Ha

2. IgnoranteElephante says:

I’m surpised nathan hasn’t labelled this antisemitic. Somehow, some way, he finds a way to link any action to a hatred of Jews.

1. nathan says:

Umm I haven’t posted anything about Jews in weeks. Please stay on topic.

2. IgnoranteElephante says:

Nathan, you’ve called almost any comment critical of anything Jewish antisemitic. Just last week, you were crying antisemitism over Rabbis putting hits out on each other.

3. nathan says:

IE – this board is full of hate. Im ANYTHING but a pro Israeli advocate. Look at the comments on the gay marriage threads. Or the English signs in Chinatown thread. Granted most of them are made by one psychotic person…

1. IgnoranteElephante says:

Most Jews claim to be anti Israel because being pro Israel would conflict with their liberal agenda, but deep down we know you are a Zionist. I see nothing wrong with you wanting to go back to your “Holy Land.”

4. nathan says:

Wow where did all of his posts go ? Hehe…

1. MR. GOEBBELS says:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN I REST MY CASE………MR HITLER WAS RIGHT AS YOU CAN SEE

2. IgnoranteElephante says:

Hey Nathan he’s right..YOU ARE A COWARD

3. MR GOEBBELS says:

HEY NATHAN IS IT TRUE THAT YOUR LIVE IN GAY LOVER CAUGHT AIDS FROM ANOTHER MAN BECAUSE YOU HAVE A MICRODI CK AND HE COULD GET NO SATISFACTION FROM YOU

5. nathan says:

Ok thats enough fun for one day. Ill be back to torment you again tomorrow. Thanks for the lulz nut-logs.

1. JEW OBLITERATED says:

so the great nathan f ag that he is is saying no mas .youve shamed all jews today

6. MR. GOEBBELS says:

CAN I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION……IT SEEMS THE ALL KNOWING NATHAN IS A COWARD…………IVE CALLED HIM OUT ABOUT COMMENTS HE SAID ABOUT ME BUT HE REFUSES TO ANSWER. SO NATHAN I WILL LABEL YOU A COWARDLY GAY WHOU HIDES BEHIND HIS KEYBOARDA AND BELITTLES EVERYONE THAT DOESNT AGREE WITH HIS IDEAS………..BUT NATHAN YOUR WHOLE LIFE IS A BELITTLEMENT……………………

14. CJAFHH says:

Very conservative – please, be serious, don’t blame all that is cruel, unjust, and evil in humanity, on liberals. Don’t use this as a sounding board for your political agenda, if you can’t contribute some viable thoughts or ideas in catching this sick person or persons, instead of using this comment section to selfishly promote your hatred of liberalism, then simply don’t contribute. Neither the liberal agenda nor the conservative agenda have anything to do with this sick individual’s actions.

Now let’s stay on topic. One would hope there would be witnesses on what is a very busy, crowded, congested and cluttered bridge. At least someone jotted down a license plate number in some capacity, whether partial and/or the make of the car. Why aren’t witnesses coming forward with that information to help capture this sick creature? I love animals to death, and care greatly for human kind. Bear in mind that cruelty to animals is usually indicative of serial killer behavior. Catch this depraved individual, and you’ve just, most likely, caugt a murderer. Someone, come forward, pronto!

15. Vinnie from Queens says:

I love cats so much too! Sometimes I think cats are the greatest thing the world has to offer, and I would have done the same thing too, come close to getting myself run over on a bridge, all to rescue a stray kitten. When you hear that tiny little ;meow’ you know it was all worth it!

1. Phyllis Sorrentino says:

bless you. every life is precious

16. Very conservative says:

How about when the perpitrator is located, they get thrown off the bridge (penalty should fit the crime). Will this ever happen? Of course not, because this country is TOO DAMN LIBERAL.

Comments are closed.