SUV Falls From Upper Level Of FDR Drive, Slams Into Cab Below

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — Eight people are hurt, two of them critically, after an SUV fell from the upper level of the FDR Drive.

It happened at 23rd Street in Kips Bay around 3am Saturday. Police say the driver of a Land Rover told them someone cut him off. He swerved, hit the barrier and flipped over the side, landing on a taxi below.

1010 WINS’ Glenn Schuck reports: Wreck Looks Like A Movie Set

Brian Duncan was under the FDR Drive tending to his broken down car when he heard the sound of steel scraping against concrete above. That’s when he saw the Land Rover roll off the elevated highway and fall 15 feet.

“If that cab wasn’t there, those people would not be here today,” said Duncan.

The SUV crashed on the passenger side of the taxi then rolled off onto its tires. The cab driver escaped with minor injuries. Duncun said he heard screams and ran to help.

“He was unconscious and I shook him, he looked at me and started crying and the first thing he asked me was if his wife was alive,” said Duncun. “I told him his wife was alive.”

WCBS 880’s Sean Adams reports: Good Samaritan Helped Crash Victims

Four people in the SUV are in critical or serious condition at the hospital. Four others are in stable condition.

The cab driver says thankfully, he didn’t have any passengers.

Investigators say it doesn’t appear that the driver of the Land Rover was speeding.

Comments

1. M Yaseen says:

if cab driver got killed who gonna be responsible.. nypd just arrested land rover driver.. he tried kill 7 other peoples just for show off..

2. ANONYMOUS says:

Common NYPD, this is a case about basic physics. This is one of Newton’s basic laws of motion, “ an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in uniform motion in a straight line will remain in that motion unless an external resultant force acts on it “. The concrete wall on the FDR was the resultant force that acted on his SUV causing it to flip over and land on the taxi cab below. This means that driver was SPEEDING. THIS DRIVER IS GUILTY !!!!!!!!!!!!! more so especially if there are no tire marks on the pavement which would prove the fact that he did try to stop the vehicle on time. Obviously he did not care about the safety of others, his passengers or/and even his own. Everyone speeds in New York City, especially those yellow taxi cabs and private ones. They are not an exception. The system is a joke. Nowadays everyone can get a license to “ kill “ in New York and they always have an excuse, “ Oh, I am sorry. My brakes failed “, “ Someone cut me off and left “, “ I am sorry. I was in a rush to get to an appointment “, “ I am sorry I fell asleep on the steering wheel “, etc. The excuses are endless. People in this accident were lucky they did not die and the City with the state should become more strict with driver’s licenses. Someone is not doing their job right.

3. JasonS says:

It’s highly likely the driver was speeding or otherwise driving recklessly. It’s so easy to get away with causing carnage like this in New York – all you have to do is tell the gullible NYPD that a “mystery driver cut me off” and they fall for it hook, line and sinker. It’s more likely he was coming around a corner too fast. A woman lost her leg in this accident and it’s incredible no charges are being filed.

1. Michael Knight says:

Lydia, how desperate are you for a guy? Are you that lonely?

2. Michael Knight says:

Lydia, if you want to email me, I’m at: allecla1963@yahoo.com – Michael Knight

4. Jinx says:

You’re an idiot!!

5. charlie sheen says:

While he is at it, God needs to strike Casey Anthony dead with a bolt of lightning.

1. Jonathan es de La Marque says:

Casey Anthony is innocent until proven guilty..what if God strikes you dead for any little thing you got away in your life..Charlie???

6. dave game says:

I want to invite all the socialists and Marxists to my party in Central Park at 4 P.M. today to l;aunch the NEW REVOLUTION. RAUL CASTRO will be present and signing autographs.

1. marty griffin says:

I was there Dave and it was INSPIRING. VIVA LE REVOLUCION. We Marxists will rule the world soon.

7. MISTER-A says:

THE FDR IS NOT A SAFE HIGHWAY AT ALL ALOT OF CARS DRIVE FASTER THAN THE SPEED LIMIT IF THE INVESTIGATORS SAY THEY WERENT SPEEDING THEN SOME OTHER CAR PROBABLY WAS AND RAN THEM OFF THE HIGHWAY THANK GOODNESS THEY’RE SAFE THO CUZ THAT WAS A HORRIFIC ACCIDENT

8. Carol Green says:

A broken down taxi in that exact spot at that precise moment; no passengers in the taxi; driver’s side of taxi not crushed leaving driver with minor injuries; taxi driver Mr. Duncan said it himself ‘if that cab wasn’t there, those people would not be here today’. Coincidence is God remaining anonymous. Hope everyone involved considers themself blessed and alive by God’s grace and for His purpose.

1. flynn says:

I guess good old god had nothing to do with the suv go off the highway and injuring 8 people.

2. lefty says:

If god were responsible then ask him to fire the republicans please…

3. lefty says:

Ask god to increase programs for the people and tax the rich if he’s so capable please…

1. Bear says:

God had a lot to do with it because if he didn’t, my best friend would not be here today!

4. BRIAN DUNCAN MICHAEL CARVIN says:

Ms. green,

My name is Brian Duncan and I think the most important part is that god loves all of us and I would have it for anyone because god lives in all of us.

Brian Duncan
      THE PERSON WHO SAVED THOSE PEOPLE IN THE LAND ROVER…

9. Yodawg says:

Nobody was drinking or speeding. Drive Slow is a moron.

1. slow down idiots says:

He was doing 110 I think that is speeding.

10. riri097 says:

Where does it say they were drinking or speeding?

11. drive slow says:

Drinking and driving is never a good idea add excessive speed to that.Idiots like that should never of been driving in first place.

12. Houari says:

I wish people would drive with caution in FDR and everywhere else where so much traffic and so many people.

Comments are closed.