Ja Rule Sentenced For Failing To File Income Tax Returns

NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP)Rapper and actor Ja Rule was sentenced Monday to more than two years in federal prison for failing to file income tax returns.

“I in no way attempted to deceive the government or do anything illegal. I was a young man who made a lot of money,” he said minutes before being sentenced. “I didn’t know how to deal with these finances, and I didn’t have people to guide me, so I made mistakes.”

The platinum-selling rapper, whose real name is Jeffrey Atkins, admitted in March that he failed to pay taxes on more than $3 million that he earned between 2004 and 2006 while living in Saddle River.

Ja Rule was sentenced in New York City last month to up to two years in prison after he pleaded guilty to attempted criminal weapon possession. The case stemmed from a gun found in his luxury sports car in July 2007.

What do you think of Ja Rule? Sound off in our comments section below…

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. dave bonner says:

I paid $32.67 for a XBOX 360 and my mom got a 17 inch Toshiba laptop for $94.83 being
    delivered to our house tomorrow by FedEX. I will never again pay expensive retail prices at
    stores. I even sold a 46 inch HDTV to my boss for $650 and it only cost me $52.78 to get. Here
    is the website we using to get all this stuff, Bidsgetdotcom.

2. dave bonner says:

is the website we using to get all this stuff,Bid Get . com

3. Joseph Didonato says:

Thank God he will be in jail, maybe this will stop Pitbull from doing a duet with him!!!!!

4. Barry Levine says:

In the words and accent of ex-police chief of New york City William Bratton, lawk ‘im up!!!

5. bullett says:

Had he stayed awake in school, he would have learned that Al Capone was indicted for and sent to prison for the same thing, income tax evasion. See what happens with social promotion. A product failure of our education system.

6. Debbie says:

The average rap singer is very young. Evidently he lacked the mentality to know all the funds he has generated for singing/yelling out lyrics that reek vulgarity and parade scantily clad young girls in their videos, he should have been advised by a sane adult. They get the money, buy fancy cars and expensive homes and forget you have an obligation to pay the BANK. At the end of the day this is what happens, FAME, FORTUNE AND WOMEN.
    There really is no reality until they’re wearing the famous SILVER BRACELETS and walking down the hall of shame.

1. hockey says:

Uh, it’s called” n******-rich”. Pretty sure you heard that term before.

2. bullett says:

First thing you need is a revised lesson in grammar. Secondly you need a shrink.

7. TomNJ says:

He did not know he was supposed to pay taxes on income? What a crock. Everyone over the age of 14 knows that taxes are a part of life. How does he think the welfare and food stamp recipients get their money? Nice try, but you got caught. Enjoy federal prison, I guess it will “up” your street “cred”.

1. Izzy says:

To TOMNJ:
      Not to worry, the rest of us will continue to fund YOUR monthly card of benefits.

8. anam says:

i think there is a double loss in this ja issue to government ,since ja wont pay taxes and not working for his personal development.let him pardoned.

9. MeMe says:

Ok, he evaded paying income taxes, maybe he was ignorant or just young and stupid. I don’t see how sending him to prison does any good, how much does it cost taxpayers to imprison him for 2 years? This is not just, they should make him, simply pay the taxes he didn’t pay.

1. KPMc says:

So… I’ve all the people that have served time for not paying Uncle Sam, Ja’ Rule’s case is the first time you’ve had a problem?

10. jen says:

how taxes do welfare quueen and king pay why do hard working pleople have to pay taxes and these pleople wake up at 12 miday

1. Jill says:

@ Jen….DO THE WORDS SUMMER SCHOOL MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU..?????

11. The Facts says:

Hope Sharpton is paying attention.. We’re still waiting for him to come clean and pay up.

12. Stephen Morgan says:

having met ja rule im sorry that he is going to jail
    he was a very nice person to meet

13. anikonov says:

I would guess that he was not one of the hundreds USB bank clients who did not pay income taxes on hundreds of millions of dollars and still avoided jail time….

14. Murda Inc Heart Stoppa says:

Ja got a knife waiting to cut his face up while his wife makes sure the alarm system bill is paid in full. Haha clown should have backdown.

15. Here, have a whiff! says:

Oh man do I have gas!

16. Peter says:

Lock him UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. iggy says:

aw,he’s sorry. he didn’t know if he had to pay taxes on money he earned. no one he knew ever earned any legally before.

18. Cliff Claven says:

…ja’ might wanna fire yer tax advisors. “Castroneves, Reynolds, Stoddard, Snipes & Geithner ” was NOT the right Tax team to go with.

Try H&R Block, for darn sakes…….

1. Idratherbegolfing says:

He should have went with the firm Snipes, Rangel & Stewart.

Comments are closed.