Jets’ Hometown Discount? ‘No Such Thing,’ Says Antonio Cromartie

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Most Jets fans want cornerback Antonio Cromartie to stay in New York.

Fellow cornerback Darrelle Revis said in February: “I hope Mike Tannenbaum and Rex (Ryan) pull for the guy to keep him here.”

Heck, even Cromartie himself has been open about wanting to stay with the Jets.

So what’s the catch?

“At the end of the day, to me there is no such thing as no hometown discount,” Cromartie said on NFL Radio Tuesday. “I’m not giving anybody no hometown discount.”

The controversial Cromartie, who separately popped off at Tom Brady, NFLPA leaders and Matt Hasselbeck in January, is slated to become a free agent once the NFL lockout ends.

“I would love to be a Jet at the end of the day,” said Cromartie. “I’m definitely going to see what the organization says, and then also let them know I would like to go out and test the market and see what my value is.”

Cromartie said he probably ranks “number one, either one or two” on the Jets’ priority list, behind wide receiver Santonio Holmes — if anybody.

“I love the organization,” said Cromartie. “They’re a first-class organization that has always been there for their players. They’re all about their players.”

WFAN’s Craig Carton had a message for Cromartie on Wednesday morning: the Jets helped you, and this is the thanks they get?

“Listen, I want Cromartie back too,” said Carton, “but it (ticks) me off that Cromartie forgot the fact that the Jets wrote a half-million dollar check to settle his paternity issues for him!”

It was widely reported in 2010 that the Jets advanced $500,000 of Cromartie’s $1.7 million salary to help him settle a few outstanding paternity suits.

What do you think of Cromartie’s comments? Sound off in the comments below…

Comments

1. lydia says:

Sure, an English Professor..,heck ANY good student, would have thought first then strung together his words more eloquently to explain supply and demand.I am a 28 years old doctor, mature and beautiful.and now I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Andromeda2002 on–s’e’ek’c’ou’ga’r.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!

2. George says:

PAY THE CHILD-SUPPORT……”deadbeat”!!!

3. Mizro says:

Cromartie is a MUTT. He’s not worth 1/2 of what he thinks he is, but some foolish owner will fall prey to this Klown. Ditch this liability and get that kid from Oakland!

4. RICHIE says:

CROMARTIE HAS LIKE 9 KIDS WITH 6 DIFFERENT BABY mama’s HE NEES ALL THE MONEY HE CAN GET. IF HE ONLY WOULDA WORE A CONDOM. WELL WASNT THE JETS WHO PAID 500,000 BUCKS FOR BACK CHILD SUPPORT SO THEY MAKE THE TRADE FOR THIS GUY. WHOS AN ABOVE AVERAGE C.B. LET’S FACE IT. SO IF THE JETS COME TO HIM AND MAKE HIM A REASONAL OFFER HE SHOULD TAKE IT. I MEAN HES GONNA GET A MULTI YEAR / MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT,. SO NO HOMETOWN DISCOUNT THTATS GRATITUDE FOR YA.

5. Mike says:

Hey Jeff – free agencie? learn how to spell before taking shots at Carton, who is obviously much more educated than you. Cromartie is an idiot, but I don’t think he’s wrong to test the waters. I do, however, also see Carton’s point. The Jets went out of their way to help the guy. Cromartie should have just said he wants to be a Jet and kept his mouth shut after that – test the waters quietly.

1. Paul D says:

He should have just kept his mouth shut anyway. He can barely express a coherent, lucid thought. It amazes me how these guys get as far as they do. He sounds like the guy that hangs around the corner store holding an Olde English pint beneath a plain brown paper bag.

6. Richard says:

But the guy is a JOCK…they don’t normally do that.
    So, grammatical errors aside, he is correct: who doesn’t listen to the $$$market offers before taking a job?
    Puh—leese.

7. Jeff says:

What do you think of Cromartie’s comments?
    How about : What do I think of CARTON’s Comments:
    Hey Carton, MYOB about what deal he got. Free agencie is free agencie….or did you forget that once YOU signed with WFAN?

What an empty CARTON.