NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — A judge has set a 2012 date for the death penalty phase of a man convicted of killing two New York City police detectives.
Judge Nicholas Garaufis told prosecutors in Brooklyn on Tuesday that no more tax dollars should be spent on the case unless he gets a letter from Attorney General Eric Holder saying he still wants to seek death for Ronell Wilson. Otherwise, Wilson would automatically get a life term.
A Justice Department spokeswoman later said Holder would comply.
A jury convicted Wilson and sentenced him to death in 2007 for the slayings of the undercover detectives in a robbery. But an appeals court tossed out the sentence last year because of legal errors.
Another jury will be selected starting March 5 to retry the death phase.
What do you think of the judge’s decision? Sound off in our comments section below…
(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)