NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) — Mets first baseman Ike Davis told a group of Long Island campers on Tuesday that his injured ankle is “not good” and he’s resigned to not playing this season because of it.
“Best scenario is end of the year,” Davis told the youngsters during a question-and-answer session in Freeport, according to Newsday. “But probably next year.”
Davis reiterated his point with reporters afterward.
“Best-case scenario, hopefully, I get a couple weeks in or a month,” Davis said. “But I would say the majority odds are I probably wouldn’t play this year.”
When told of Davis’ comments before the Mets’ 4-2 win over the Cardinals, manager Terry Collins appeared upset saying, “I’m surprised he would say something like that.”
“I’ll have to discuss that with him,” said Collins. “He might want to inform me before he springs that on anyone else.”
Davis later backtracked a bit, telling reporters, “I’m not throwing in the towel. In three weeks if I’m not healthy, I’m not playing this year.”
The first baseman injured suffered a bone bruise in a collision with David Wright on May 10 and had a cortisone shot last week. He will have season-ending surgery if the shot doesn’t give him enough relief to play.
Davis joked: “If I didn’t have to ever run again, I’d be fine.”
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson admitted last month that a decision by the Mets’ medical staff to place Davis in a protective boot could be partially to blame for the setbacks.
“It could turn around. I’m not saying it’s not,” said Davis. “It’s just that I’m not going to tell you that I’m going to be playing, because I’ve done that every time now. So we’ll see.”
What do you think of Davis’ comments? Sound off in the comments below…
(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)