Dozens Of Gay Couples Tie The Knot In Mass Wedding Ceremony On Long Island

FARMINGDALE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Happy couples gathered on Long Island Tuesday to take part in the largest same-sex wedding ceremony since gay marriage became legal Sunday.

Before hundreds of guests, 56 couples tied the knot on a terrace overlooking the famed Black Course at Bethpage State Park in Farmingdale — which has twice been the home of the U.S. Open golf championships.

1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera reports: Sealed With A Kiss And Champagne

Jim Lawrence, 76, and Arthur Guilmette, 79, of Coram, have been together for 53 years and were finally able to say “I do.”

PHOTO GALLERY: Same-Sex Weddings

gay wed 001 Dozens Of Gay Couples Tie The Knot In Mass Wedding Ceremony On Long Island

Jim Lawrence, 76, and Arthur Guilmette, 79, of Coram, Long Island, in Bethpage State Park before exchanging vows in a mass wedding on July 26, 2011 (credit: Mona Rivera/1010 WINS)

David Kilmnick, of the Long Island Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender Services Network, told 1010 WINS once it was a day of love and celebration that couples have been waiting for years to come.

“The significance of today was to really have a large showing on Long Island and give people the wedding they’ve always dreamed of,” Kilmnick said.

WCBS 880’s Steve Knight On Long Island

The reception was being donated by the operators of the Carlyle On The Green — the catering facility on the property.

On Monday, opponents filed a lawsuit to overturn the gay marriage law claiming the state Senate violated its own procedures and the state’s open meetings law when the bill was approved last month.

The Empire State joined five other states and Washington, D.C. in allowing same-sex couples to wed, and people have been saying their “I do’s” in every corner of the state from Niagara Falls to Long Island.

New York City officials signed off on a record 659 marriage licenses on the day the Marriage Equality Act became law. By late afternoon Monday, another 331 had tied the knot.


One Comment

  1. Ravi says:

    A disease that has to be stopped.

    1. Dakotahgeo says:

      Please don’t refer to yourself as a disease. Have you no pride?

  2. business says:

    How have Long Islands downtowns changed over the years and what does the future hold?

  3. Dee says:

    wow when i got married I didn’t have enough for a wedding.. wish the Carlyle would have donated a reception for us.. oh i forgot.. we’re hetero’s… the new minority

    1. KPMc says:

      But you didn’t have to wait 50 years to marry the person you love, did you?

    2. Michael H. says:

      According to studies in journals like “Nature”, the gay population is between 2% and 13%. That leaves 87% of the population, at the very least, as straight. What definition of “minority” are you thinking of?

    3. Dakotahgeo says:

      Judging from your comments, the Carlyle didn’t even exist then. Your loss!

  4. LiberalsAreEvil says:

    DEGENERATES!!! No wonder the world is in a horrible condition.

    1. lunazul says:

      Ur right! Absolutely horrible!! Cuz of unstable cowards like you!!

      What is it hurting you that same sex couples are getting married. Why are you so scared?

      Just because you are in favor of gay marriage doesn’t make you gay. Is that what you fear?

      1. Michael H. says:

        he fears he might catch “teh gay”, like it’s airborn or something.

      2. Dakotahgeo says:

        That’s why these right wingers are such a hoot to watch and listen to. they’re basically scared of their own shadows, OR, they may still be “in the closet.” Keep hammering those nails in, guys!

  5. Linda says:

    This is a wonderful thing that is happening today for the gay community. BEST WISHES.

  6. Dakotahgeo, Pastor/Chaplain says:

    This sory makes me want to cry…for absolutely joy for these 100 couples and their families and friends!
    Absolutely all the blessings and peace, joy… ALL that goes with this most happy occasion!

    dakotahgeo, Pastor/Chaplain

Comments are closed.

More From CBS New York

Get Our Morning Briefs

Listen Live