News

5-Year-Old Bronx Boy Recovering After Being Shot In Leg Outside Bodega

View Comments
Maritza Santana holds up a picture of her son, who is recovering after being shot in the leg on Thursday night (credit: CBS 2)

Maritza Santana holds up a picture of her son, who is recovering after being shot in the leg on Thursday night (credit: CBS 2)

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A 5-year-old boy was caught in the crossfire Thursday night while leaving a store with his mother in the Bronxdale section of the Bronx.

Young Adonte Peartree and his mother, Maritza Santanam, stepped out of a bodega on Astor Avenue and into a hail of bullets AT around 10 p.m.  Another man, Tommy Marin, was also hit.  Police said that both were innocent victims.

“You know, he’s a kid. So, he’s just thinking about his toys. But, you know, he knows what happened. And I don’t really want him to think about what happened,” Santanam told reporters, including CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman. “He knows, he said like ‘a gun did that.'”

The young boy was treated at Jacobi Hospital and is now at home.

Santanam said when she and her son came out of the store, it was chaos on the street. She could hear gunshots and there were groups running. The boy said, “Mom! I’m hurt!” She dragged him into the store next door to get out of the way of the gunfire.

1010 WINS’ John Montone reports: Residents Say Neighborhood Is Safe

Marin was getting cookies for his son and didn’t realize until after he ran that he had been shot.

“I was thinking about my son. That was the first thing that came to my mind because a few minutes ago, I was with my kid over there,” Marin said.

“We go to work every day. We come in and out, that’s it. We don’t deal with nobody and this happens to us — out of everybody over here. It’s ridiculous and something needs to be done,” Mike Peartree, the young victim’s father, told Guzman.

A $12,000 reward is being offered for information in the case.  Police believe that two groups of teenagers may have been fighting each other in the area a couple of days before Thursday night’s shooting.

Police said the boy was not the intended target. There are no suspects in custody and police are still investigating.

Is enough being done to reduce gun violence in New York City? Sound off in our comments section.

View Comments