Police: Erika Hughes, 24, Killed In Suffolk County Hit And Run

Driver Doesn't Even Slow Down; Grandparents To Raise 15-Month-Old Daughter

MASTIC BEACH, NY (CBSNewYork) — Suffolk County police are searching the driver in a deadly hit-and-run that took place Thursday night.

Police said the victim, 24-year-old Erika Hughes, was walking on Mastic Road in Mastic Beach when she was struck.  The impact threw her body against a curb.  The driver fled the scene without so much as slowing down.

The graduate of William Floyd High School, who worked as a sales agent, was walking down Mastic Road — not far from where she had attended school.  Police said a heavy, dark colored truck slammed into the young mother at the edge of a park,  near Riverside Avenue, and sped away turning east.

Hughes leaves behind a barely 15-month-old daughter Gabriella, who is too young to understand that her mother has been killed. The victim’s father, Dennis Hughes, was left searching for answers after the death of his daughter.

“I just lost my daughter. She has a 15-month-old daughter. What can I possibly say? What can I say?” he asked CBS 2’s Jennifer McLogan.

Hughes’ mother, Lori, says she is also in shock.  The entire Hughes family is now overcome at the sudden and indescribable loss and pain.

Hughes’ tearful aunt said that her niece was filled with love and compassion.  She said she hopes the suspect would turn himself him and “take what’s coming to him.”

“He should have stopped. He should have stopped.  Why didn’t he stop to help her? She’s only a little girl,” the aunt said.

Suffolk Police are fanning out looking for witnesses and gathering clues.  Police are also urging body shop owners to be on the lookout for a truck or suv with new front end damage.

“The possible vehicle we’re looking for is a truck, possibly a tow truck or utility type truck. Anybody that might have any information that might help us, we’re asking them to come forward and give us a call,” Suffolk Detective Sergeant James McGuinness said.

If you have any information, call police at 631-852-8752 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.

Comments

1. kendra says:

i hope the driver of this hit and run victim is found and brought to justice swiftly cause i don,t think he realizes that the woman had a child that she,ll never be able to see or interact with ever again and my condolences go out to her family and close friends cause she probably was some1 s dear friend.

2. Jason says:

Dan Te, you have completely discredited your own statements. A) your sentence structure and grammar purely indicate your education level, or lack of, B) you cant answer simple questions, C) you show no understanding for the legal system and what you are capable of suing for; authorities can get a warrant and subpoena for if you are suggesting you fit as a possible suspect (with giving information not mentioned in the article with your anti-social personality traits) , and D) you just made it very clear you do not understand traffic rules yourself; pedestrians have the right of way, drivers in motor vehicles must be in full control at all times. You are frankly an idiot. Please do not leave any more comments because you are adding more pain to the people that knrw her and can read the ignorance in your comments.

1. Digital Cowboy says:

Jason,

Agreed, with what Dan Te has said the police would be justified in getting a warrant to get his IP address and to search his home, office and car.

How does Dan Te know all the information that he is sharing with us? It sounds as if he might have at the very least been there, if not possibly the driver.

You’re also right in that Dan Te doesn’t appear to understand the traffic rules.

3. ~RIP Erika~ says:

Rest in peace, Erika. You were an amazing person with a huge heart. This girl was constantly smiling and was one of a kind. I have so many memories when I younger with her and my sisters, can’t believe it’s been over 10 years now that we’ve been blessed to know her. This is still unbelievable and I pray for her. I hope they find the person who did this and they get what they deserve, her beautiful little daughter has to grow up without a mother because of them. My deepest condolences go out to her family, and I hope for the best for her little baby. You’ll be missed, Erika.

4. John says:

I’m pretty enraged by Dan Te’s comments and I think the authorities should trace his ip address and find out more about this guy. He doesn’t sound healthy, and possibly even a hazard to society. Who knows if he’s even the driver.

A life was lost. End of story. This is a tragedy, and someone did the wrong thing by driving away. There’s no such thing as ” your kind” Dan Te, we are all human living in this world. Dan Te, I pray someone helps you and your misguided ways, because you are so wrong. You are a great definition of what disgusting is like.

1. DanTe says:

First thing “your kind” does. Pull the fascist hunt bit. Go ahead, trace the IP. Than I get to sue you in court. Except you’re from Shirley. All anyone is going to get out of your folks is more lying turds.

1. Vincenza says:

All anyone is going to get out of you is ignorance

5. John says:

Dan Te, you’re sounding more and more like the type of driver that would keep going. Where’s the rage coming from? Sounds like a person who’s frustrated about his car with borderline personality disorder who can’t sympathize with a life that is lost over it. So where were you when Erika was hit? What do you drive? Can you back it up?

1. DanTe says:

The anger comes from having to hear from you self centered sanctimonious turds.

She was in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. How was it the driver’s fault? Your kind is always blaming others.

Did you do the right thing and offered to pay for the damages? Did you sympathize with the guy/girl’s financial lost? NO. You Selfish Twistees continues to b/tch and moan. And now that you realize people don’t take kindly to obstacles in the middle of the road, your stories change to being only on/off the curb a bit. Lying Sacks of Turds.

Watch, you folks will be pulling your standard Schuler next: it’s the road’s fault.

1. Digital Cowboy says:

DanTe,

Where in the article does it say or even suggest that she was in the middle of the road? I see nothing in the article that suggests that she was in the middle of the road. Only your assumption that she was.

Were you there? Did you see her in the middle of the road? If so why didn’t you say something to her about being in the middle of the road?

I ride a bicycle for transportation, and I take the lane i.e. ride in the middle of the lane for my safety. Does that mean that if the same driver were to hit me that I’m at fault?

2. DanTe says:

If you follow the traffic rules, than you have a right of way. Pedestrians on the road is just asking for it. Especially since dark clothes are “trendy”.

I noticed how you folks don’t get all lathered up with defaming the poor driver. Who probably thought he/she hit a pothole.

3. ~RIP Erika~ says:

Dan Te, I personally knew Erika and she was my sister’s good friend for the past 10 years. Your comments are ignorant and plain old heartless. Many people are mourning the loss of genuinely caring and sweet girl, with a beautiful daughter, who’s life was taken too soon by someone. And you really think it’s mature to come here running your mouth about your pointless illogical opinions? And really how do you compare hitting a girl to hitting a pothole? Really? If that driver “thought he/she hit a pothole” what were they doing that they couldn’t SEE the HUMAN they hit? It’s a completely idiot statement, in my opinion, that would make the driver more at fault that they weren’t paying attention. The person who did this and kept driving is sick and I hope they catch them or karma goes their way. As for you, Dan Te, you’re a lost cause. RIP Erika.

4. Crystal says:

Dan Te you seem real defensive about something that has absolutely nothing to do with you, did you kill Erika? How is it the drivers fault you ask, well how about that low life ran her over and never stopped. How dare you compare hitting Erika with running over a pothole. I hope karmas real, maybe your no good low life self will get run over by a mac truck. Why do you think she was wearing dark cloths? have you ever even been to Mastic (I grew up there and theres NO SIDEWALKS)? And since when can you compare financial loss with death, your a P.O.S. and I personally hope you burn. She was a really good friend of mine, the sweetest person I ever knew, there’s absolutely nothing bad I can say about her. But as you can probably tell already I’m not sweet like her, let me find you standing by the road on day I’ll make sure I loose control of my car and hit a pot hole oops or was that you. You know your real tough behind you computer you loser!

5. Digital Cowboy says:

Dan Te,

Likewise pedestrians have a right to be on/in the road themselves, especially if there isn’t a sidewalk available to them to walk on. Which has been suggested by others who apparently are familiar with the area.

Its nice to hear you support a cyclists rights to the road, as there are way too many motorists who don’t want cyclists on “their” road at all. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been honked at or buzzed while riding.

I was riding in the bike lane the other day while I was riding in the bike lane I had a motorist honk at me. I also had another motorist on a road without a bike lane honk at me and point to the right side of the road indicating that that is where he thought that I belonged. I’ve also had two motorists pull up behind me at red lights and honk at me because they wanted to make a right turn and I guess they thought that I was in their way.

It is however sad to hear that you do not extend that same curtsey to pedestrians. Who have just as much right to use the roads/streets as do cars and cyclists. Especially if there isn’t a sidewalk for them to walk on.

6. Jamie says:

Dan te you are in idiot.. this is my friends daughter.. Meet me anytime and anywhere you ass .. you need it kicked all over the street like a dog…

7. Vincenza says:

What is wrong with you DanTe, you’re an idiot for saying something like that. This girl lost her life because of some idiot driver and all you can say is another car damaged. You are a piece of sh** for saying something like that. Rest in piece Erika, we all love you and miss you so much.

1. Vincenza says:

Rest in Peace Erika*****

2. DanTe says:

1. Crystal says:

2. Vincenza9 says:

DanTe why don’t you stop commenting, everything you are writing is ignorant, Erika was a beautiful girl that had a heart of gold, she lost her life because so ignorant person ran into her and left her there. I hope and pray something like this never happens to someone close to you, so you can feel what her family and friends feel. You are a heartless piece of sh**. R.I.P. Erika you are forever loved and missed.

3. Vincenza says:

First of all she wasn’t in the middle of the road DanTe, and you’re asking if someone did the right think to pay for the damages of that vehicle? Are you an idiot, this girl lost her life! who cares about their car, this person should have cared about Erika’s life and stopped. How can you be talking about someone’s damaged vehicle???? I think you have a damaged brain you moron.

4. Vincenza says:

Why would someone sympathize with a guy/girls financial lost (it was a vehicle moron. We are talking about someone losing their life DanTe, who the heck cares about the person’s vehicle, they are a heartless like you. Nobody is changing their story, the only story is a beautiful innocent life was taking and someone needs to pay for it!!! They need to be punished for what they did.

3. DanTe says:

Oh wait. Maybe you can be like the Schulers next. Sue the county, it’s the road’s fault.

4. Jamie says:

He obviously needs a brain transplant… meet me and Erikas dad anywhere anytime after this is over tough guy

1. Crystal says:

Jamie I agree completely I’ve been friends with Erika since jr high. Let me find out who Dan Te is and he’s leaving in a gurney. I loved Erika she was the sweetest person I ever knew so pure, the world needs more people like her.

8. foxy says:

from what i heard she was on the phone outside of a friends house an step off the curb an thats when it happen.the driver did slow down but kept going.your rite no matter what the story is or what happend i still have to go see my friend being laid to rest tomorrow

1. Spencer B says:

Sorry for your loss Foxy.

2. Jamie says:

It was on mastic rd and riverside dr.. not residential it wasnt ata friends house.. I was over her parents.. she was out with one friend and took a call outside a small club she was at… she wss in control and was near the side of the road when this guy hit her.. and kept going..

9. angel says:

This is so horrible ___ Rest In Peace

10. Spencer B says:

The fact of the matter is that she would have died whether the driver stopped or not. People witnessed the accident and aid was rendered immediately to no avail. Poor Erika was lost. Folks are now venting their emotions toward the hit-and-run driver but Erika would be dead regardless. The driver was probaby impaired, which is why he ran but if she was walking in the street at midnight there is blame to be passed around.
    I know people won’t like reading this but whatever. I feel bad for Erika and her family. Waste.

1. Jamie says:

Spencer she took a cell phone call from a friend and couldnt get reception in the building she was in so she went outside.. thats what she was doing outside.. have you ever been out at midnight? Cmon dont be such a moralist here I know what happened.. She was a clean classy young lady.. I knew her and her parents well

2. Digital Cowboy says:

Spencer,

Why is it a “crime” in your opinion to be out walking after midnight? I presume that had she been riding a bicycle that you’d still blame her for being out after midnight, right?

I ride a bicycle for transportation, as well as recreation. Sometimes I have no choice but to ride after dark. When I do I have plenty of lights on my bike (more than is required by law) as well as I wear a reflective vest. And I still several months ago had a woman tell me that I was “hard to see.”

3. Crystal says:

Spencer why would you post this? Are you mentally challenged (cause that’s the only reasonable explanation)? So your telling me that if someone hit and killed your mother/daughter/bestfriend and drove off you would say “oh well the guy was probably impaired, and they shouldn’t have been outside past 11pm?” yeah f-ing right!!! you come back and post a comment after it happens to someone you love. Who are you to say “there’s blame to be passed around because it was midnight?” I’m sorry was there a new law past saying you cant be outside when it’s dark? And get your facts straight be for you post stupid comments, you weren’t there its not like she was walking in the middle of the road, she was off to the side. You know its people like you and Dan Te that deserve something like this, NOT ERIKA. She actually cared about people, and was kind and sweet.

4. christine says:

spencer b you are a cold person. that is really rude of you!!!! if that was your daughter or someone you loved you wouldnt be saying the things you said. your a jerk!!!! Think of the family and there loss

11. Foxy says:

its a shame to see some of these comments an comen from people that dont know her.she liked to walk an always did.she use to go for a walk every day.its not a crim to talk a walk at nite or in the day.i been seeing alot of people die from geting hit by cars.for all we know yes he could have been drunk or on drugs or who knows cold have been texting on his phone.but when he hit her an her body flew he have had to hear or feel something.she is a very tiny girl but still.who ever it is that hit her i hope they cant sleep at nite an when they see the pic of her an her little girl i hope it eats you up inside every day

1. Jamie says:

Its Just ignorant idiots who are gutless and would NEVER say it to anyones face.. they are all small people in their lives and probably have no life.. we should probably have asked their dads why they just didnt deposit them down the sink…

12. HooDatIS? says:

this is tragic poor baby i hope she grows up and looks just like her mom
    i cant wait till they find the loser who did this
    he/she needs some good street justice

13. What a tradgety says:

How much want to bet that it’s some dammn Mexican/Equadorian unlicensed driver. Unbelievable how HEARTLESS this person is to just leave the scene without reguard for this girl. RIP Erika.

1. John says:

you freacking racist!!

2. Gary says:

Hey,REDNECK look in the mirror you will see one HEARTLESS S.O.B.
      Rest in pease,Erika

3. badman says:

just as likely that the driver was some greaseball vito. this is long island, after all.

4. Spencer B says:

Tru dat.

14. Spitfire says:

I AM PRETTY SURE THE DRIVER WAS DRUNK OR ON DRUGS. MAYBE THAT’S
    WHY HE DIDN’T STOP. SOME PEOPLE ARE STONE COLD BLOODED. I PRAY
    HE ( I THINK IT’S A HE ) GETS CAUGHT ASAP !!! IS THERE NOT ANY CAMERAS
    AT ANY ESTABLISHMENTS CLOSE BY …….TO LOOK AT SURVAILENCE TAPES ? I PRAY FOR HER AND HER DAUGHTER AND FAMILY. THIS IS SO
    WRONG FOR THAT DRIVER NOT TO HAVE STOPPED AND HELPED AND CALL
    911. WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND ~~

15. me says:

They didn’t stop b/c they were scared they’d be indicted for manslaughter, duh. It’s not in their interest to turn themselves in ” and take what’s coming to them”, now is it, and it’s unlikely they wanted to kill her or were happy about it..likely an irresponsible or drunk driver, but they need surveillance vid or eye witnesses, get real.

16. Fireman says:

Give yourself up driver….it’s just a matter of time.
    *******Rest in Peace Erika.********

17. JasonS says:

The epidemic of hit and run atrocities which has swept this country is almost all down to illegal immigrants a) bringing their 3rd world standard of driving to America and b) refusing to stop in case they get deported. These people make me sick.

1. Silo says:

Right…..And all legal immigrants and citizens of this fine country of ours are all angels, perfect law abiding citizens.!!!!!!!! LOL, man, where have you been hiding. We need more insightful comments like yours, to set record straight.

18. Vincenza says:

The only idiot is the driver of that truck, who cares about their car, the person driving that truck needs to be in jail for murder. How could you say she was an idiot, she was murdered, you are a heartless piece of sh**

19. A. L. Lyons says:

A lot of people out there have no feelings as it’s always the
    other person’s problem in their mind ,we are in a very selfish “me first” culture.
    Not all people to be sure ,but many.

20. Concerned says:

There can’t be any possible way this driver did not know he hit anyone?

1. Silo says:

Yep, it is possible, provided he was on cloud 9, from doing nice healthy dose of crack or ecstasy or other such things.

21. karlson says:

Because there are no sidewalks in Suffolk County?

Regardless of whether or not there are or are not sidewalks – the driver of a motor vehicle must comply with the law and maintain control of his/her car, motorbike, truck, bus motor-home, etc.

If you hit somebody or something, you are supposed to stop and comply with the law. If it’s a pedestrian or an animal, you stop and try to assist and if you can’t, you call for help but do not leave the scene of the accident until the police arrive. Leaving the scene of an accident is a heavy rap. Not to mention your conscience. But would you know about conscience if you want to know why the woman was not on the sidewalk?

22. Willy says:

I don’t like to criticize accident victims who are dead, but the idea of walking along the side of the road at night was less than smart. Why wasn’t Erika Hughes driving to where she was going? The truck driver should have stopped after hitting her, but once he’s caught, he’ll probably say it was dark and he didn’t see her, which is probably true.

1. Tina says:

if he had stopped after he/she hit her then maybe he could claim it was dark and didn’t see her…but how do you drive away when you know you just hit something?? Maybe it was an accident, but now its a crime! My prayers to her family

2. Silo says:

What a moronic logic!!!! Have you considered the possibility that she might not have had access to the car at that time? You really think roads are for drivers and not for pedestrians? Do you drive to the mall and then park your car and then walk to the store in the mall, or you park your car and then take another car to take you all the way to the store?

23. Willy says:

I don’t like to criticize accident victims who are dead, but the idea of walking along the side of the road at night was less than smart. Why wasn’t she driving to where she was going? The truck driver should have stopped after hitting her, but once he’s caught, he’ll probably say it was dark and he didn’t see her, which is probably true.

1. Digital Cowboy says:

If you don’t like to criticize accident victims who are dead, than why are you doing so? She choose to walk, so what, what baring does that have on anything? Maybe she doesn’t drive, did you ever stop to think about that?

I don’t drive I either walk or ride my bicycle wherever I want to go.

Driving a car is NOT the only way for people to get around. People have been walking, riding bicycles, horses, etc. LONG before the car ever came around.

2. Digital Cowboy says:

Also, IF conditions were so bad that the driver of the truck couldn’t see a person walking on the edge of the road. Than guess what, it is the DRIVER’S responsibility to SLOW down so as to avoid hitting anyone/thing on the side of the road.

24. Missy says:

May she rest in peace and may they find the driver whom took her life and ran. May God bless the family with strength and love for Gabriella. This is a sad tragedy and hopefully they will find the guilty person.

25. kendra says:

and i pray that nothing bad never every happens to this person family cause he is really going to see how it feels to lose a member of your family or close friends the way this young lady is deeply missed by her loved 1s and all.

Comments are closed.