The Legend Of ‘Big Red Eye’ Is Not A Tall Tale To Some In New Jersey

Brave Souls Say Sasquatch-Like Creature Has Been Spotted In Sussex County

NEWTOWN, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — The legend of Sasquatch — in New Jersey?

There are those who say, yes, that a large, big foot-like creature is on the prowl and has been for years, CBS 2’s Scott Rapoport reports.

It lurks in the wooded mountains of northwest New Jersey, according to legend, an enormous, shadowy creature with a terrifyingly loud voice … and big red eyes.‪

“I’ve heard that it’s just some great big monster,” Chris Havens said.‪

They call him “Big Red Eye.”

And reports of the creature’s existence here go back to the 1970s in places like High Point State Park.‪

“It comes out at night time with big red eyes,” Newtown resident Alex Zenerovitz said.

In fact, red eyes and “big and hairy” are the most commonly used words to describe the creature at the center of the legend.

You can call it New Jersey’s version of Bigfoot — that gigantic furry, perpetually out of focus what-cha-ma-call-it sited 24/7 on the Internet, but never quite captured.‪

“Our neighbor supposedly did see red eyes one time,” Sue Zenerovitz said.‪

Retired forest ranger Tom Card said he heard a tremendously scary sound in the woods while at work back in the 1970s. He said he then saw two frightened rangers with guns running away from the noise. Card said he doesn’t know what it was and that they never went back to find out.

“It was a wailing, howling kind of a scream, kind of a sound,” Card added. “They were a little unnerved because they had never heard anything like this either.”

For more than 30 years they’ve been talking about Big Red Eye around these parts and what it might be — or might not be.‪

“People don’t know whether it’s human or an animal,” Havens said.‪

“It’s 6-foot-4, 400 pounds. It’s my brother in law,” another person said.

But there are people in this part of the Garden State who do believe.

“I haven’t seen it, but people have seen it,” one person said.‪

And that’s enough for Alex Zenerovitz and his wife, Sue.‪ He said he believes and she said “I don’t disbelieve.”

Recently a festival for Big Red Eye was held in Wantage Township. That’s a true story.

Is this urban legend run amok, or do you believe something like this is possible? Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below.

Comments

1. cb says:

Deer, skunk, cows, humans, a multitude of creatures are hit and killed on highways by vehicles every year. Why then are these creatures immune to such incidents? My thought – they don’t exist!

2. Linda says:

Just another reason to leave NJ.

3. Leeroy says:

I be wrasteling that sasquatch. He dun tried to steal my tractur one day out thar on the fieeld when I was harvest the corn. I dun jumped wright up and I hi that thar sassy righted on tha top of his head. He dun runned off into them thar woords and I dun got my dog and my gun and i dun sat me down on the porch had me some lunch. if that thar sassys coms back i gona shoot it.

4. Red says:

Looks like one of the Jersey Shore Girls

5. ron says:

Come on we all know it was Christie headeding for a hot dog cart that she saw.

6. Nursie-poo says:

I saw SOMETHING cross the road about 50 feet in front of car early one summer morning several years ago as I was traveling through the Sandyston/Layton area of Sussex County. I was on my way to work at Newton Memorial Hospital. Several travelers in other cars also must have seen it, as they slowed down at the spot that the creature crossed and probably peered into the woods, looking to see where it went. I shared the story with several people and their general opinion was that it was a bear, but I have never known a bear to walk such a distance upright on his back legs and at that speed. I’m not sure exactly WHAT it was, but after hearing the local legends, I’m leaning towards a bigfoot sighting myself.
    Anything is possible in Sussex County.

7. AJ911 says:

There are some great quotes in this article.

“I haven’t seen it, but people have seen it,” one person said.‪
    Really? Why add this.

8. Phan says:

I live in Maryland, and this state has the highest number of Bigfoot sightings. I back to woods and once, I awoke to the same howling scream. A few years ago, a police officer in Maryland was on a construction site, and he along with all construction crew saw Bigfoot. Many of the construction workers fled and refused to return to work, and others simply quit altogether. I believe that Bigfoot is real and he’s out there.

1. I am staying out of the woods says:

Dear Phan, I am guessing from your name that you are Lao. My husband and I work in a company that has a lot of people who came from Laos. One day they all saw the “White Lady” a spirit that flew around inside of the building screaming. My husband saw it too. I was not working that day, but months later, late at night I heard the scream of something unearthly, while I was alone working in the building. I am now a believer in the “White Lady,” but why she appears and what she wants is a mystery. Her visits were not followed by anything bad. If there is anyone else reading this that has had an encounter with the White Lady leave a comment.

1. g.c.kells says:

The White Lady was probably looking for the keys to her minivan.

9. Jayrod says:

Just a fist-pumping Guido with their hair spiked too high and way too much self-tanner.

10. I am staying out the woods says:

Walking late one night down a road near the train tracks that run through Cornwall, CT, we heard the screams of a dying rabbit. My friend wanted to go in the bushes to help the rabbit, but I pulled him back saying it was too late for the poor animal. Then we saw a dark form almost 7′ tall stand up from the bushes. It had two large eyes that glowed red, like brake lights on a car. We ran as fast as we could and it followed us until we crossed a small bridge over a stream. I never prayed so hard in my life.

11. Christine Korthaus says:

I think the Jersey Devil from South Jersey put on a disguise and went to North Jersey.

12. skunkworks says:

I haven’t seen my ex-wife in years. Now I finally know where she is!

13. Me says:

I believe Bigfoot/Sasquatch could exist. There have been sightings all over the United States… far too often for it to be a hoax. And now there’s a TV show about it. Why can’t ‘man’ just leave the creature alone? It’s probably been around longer than we have and hasn’t bothered anyone… Leave it be.

1. Lokari says:

I hardly think there being a TV show about Bigfoot is evidence of anything at all, except perhaps America’s collective gullability.

14. Lokari says:

There are stories of a similar creature in northern Illinois. They call it “Seneca Man”. Interesting that many areas of their own version of this story.

15. Elizabeth Burkins says:

Wow, Snookie? OMG Im laughing so hard! that has to be the best comparison ever!🙂 priceless!

16. Antonio says:

It could be true. Anything really is possible in the world we live in today.

17. Ken says:

I had a run in in late 80s in Matamoras/Port Jervis area

18. Stephanie Mauser says:

it’s just snooki, drunk with her hair down…

19. HeeHaw says:

Maybe it was Danielle Staub from New Jersey Housewives

20. Ibetyou says:

Maybe Lady GaGa has a new costume and she promoting a new concert.

21. OMG says:

It’s Obama’s credibility.

22. JOSH SUCKS says:

ITS CHRIS CHRISTIE

23. kendra says:

i strong believe that big foot is the mad mans inventions or an experiment gone weong and now u see what happens when u have no business doing! that is why we are having this problem with thi9s sort of stuff that we can,t control cause its out of our haNDS NOW.just leave well enough alone and we wont have these problems what so ever.

1. Dubliner says:

Huh? Wha?
      Lol. Alrighty then.

24. martin ce says:

These sightings have been going on since at least the 70’s. The creature was supposedly sighted by 2 state troopers once at least 10 years ago.

25. Kris says:

Does anyone remember the movie “The Mothman Prophecies”? I think it could be that…

The Mothman is a cryptid reportedly seen in the Point Pleasant area of West Virginia from November 15, 1966, to December 15, 1967.[1] Most observers describe the Mothman as a man-sized creature with large reflective red eyes and large wings. The creature was sometimes reported as having no head, with its eyes set into its chest.

Comments are closed.