Rain Doesn’t Put Damper On Dominican Day Parade

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Hundreds of spectators from lining up Sixth Avenue to show off their Dominican pride at the 30th annual Dominican Day Parade.

From marching bands to politicians, relentless rain didn’t damper spirits, even though participants were soaked.

Jennifer Delarosa from Brooklyn said the rain may have kept the crowd away from the parade, but all that meant was that they had to sing and scream a lot louder to make up for their absence.

“The people are yelling a lot. There’s more emotion. Even though it’s raining, there’s more emotion to it,” she said.

The parade was originally scheduled to begin 11 a.m., but the inclement weather delayed it until 1 p.m. It ran along 6th Avenue from 36th Street to 52nd Street.

Brianna Hernandez and her friends, who came in on the train from Trenton for the parade, told WCBS 880 why they were willing to make the trek despite the weather.

“You have all your people here,” she said. “It’s not like we’re always together and we don’t do a lot of parades. It’s really a small town, so it’s good to come out here.”

Ulsa, a paradegoer from Rhode Island, says she’s disappointed with the day’s bad weather but hopes it won’t ruin the fun.

“This is my first time and I decided to bring my kids to see a little bit of my culture,” she said. “I hope the raining will stop just a little bit.”

After the parade, the party moves uptown to Washington Heights. The NYPD is enforcing a “zero-tolerance policy” for the celebration.

Last year a pregnant teenager was stabbed in the head and drunken revelers took over 10 blocks in Washington Heights with out of control street parties.

Did you go to the parade? Let us know in our comments section below…

Comments

1. loldommicans says:

dominican schemes even in a news comment section, sigh.

2. nyc says:

If DR is so wonderfull, why not live there ? Maybe the US has more free benefits ? Do you think ?

3. badman says:

most of them bred with you mom

4. BirdClayton says:

5. HRH says:

Rain Doesn’t Put Damper On Dominican Day Parade… but the comments on this message board sure do…such a shame we live with such ignorant people around us in this city…

6. Armando says:

I’ve lived in Washington Hts for nearly twenty years, and over that time have come to deeply resent the Dominican population. While as in all groups there are some sweethearts, the vast majority I’ve met or observed are loud, selfish, ungrateful for what they have been given (and frankly, if it’s not good enough, let them return to the DR) heaving discarded junk in the street, and looking to get by at the expense of everyone else, showing no regard for their host neighbors.

Over a third of the population up in this part of town is Dominican. How is that fair? Who opened the floodgates for an ethnicity that returns proportionally nothing to those on whose welcome mats they tread? Reform the immigration laws and remove those who don’t contribute, otherwise our own lowest common denominator will continue to sink.

1. Nick 1975 says:

Don’t worry as rents in Manhattan approach $5,000 for an average apartment (even in Washington Heights) by 2015 you will get your wish. Where are they going to go.. even rents in the Bronx are quickly rising

7. george bush says:

Drug dealers and Bodega owners.

8. Ray says:

There is no such thing as a perfect culture. The Dominicans need to take a look at theirs and ask themselves why the DR is one of the poorest nations on earth. Maybe then the overwhelming lack of responsibility in their community will become apparent. Low literacy, high illegitimacy, glorification of criminality and poverty would render any group of people to the bottom of the socio-economic spectrum.

Disclaimer: I am well aware that not all Dominicans fit my characterizations – and many of them have the same concerns as I do, a white man. But responsible Dominicans aren’t the ones you see loitering on the same spot of the sidewalk day after day. Responsible Dominican citizens are doing their best to be just that, responsible citizens.

9. Ray says:

I have no problem with ethnic pride per se. But many (but definitely not all) Hispanics – especially the Dominicans – place way too much emphasis on their ethnicity without any acknowledgement whatsoever of their place in AMERICA. With the perhaps rabid level of celebration displayed at the Dominican parade, one would think that the DR is the greatest place on earth. But these revelers don’t seem to remember that for some reason, THEY HAD TO LEAVE DR for a better opportunity here in the States. A little deference to this opportunity The US has afforded them is in order, but apparently they don’t think so. On some level they seem to resent being here. I live in Washington Heights. Dominican flags are all over the place. But American flags are conspicuously rare. That is wrong.

1. nyc says:

I agree. If it’s so great in DR ,why not live there ! OH, No free benefits !

10. Chicken Coup says:

Last year a pregnant teenager was stabbed in the head and drunken revelers took over 10 blocks in Washington Heights with out of control street parties…..What do you expect

11. MCK says:

Of course the rain didn’t bother these people. They’re used to a lot of water because of the way they are illegally smuggled into this country….by sinking boat!

1. anne says:

Well just to let everyone know that the parade was a bit civilized thanks to the rain…lol at least some ppl enjoy their day and hopefully tommorow we wont hear notting in the news about shootings, stabbings and killing.

12. anne says:

man christina that is harsh….dont forget their beauty salons, grocery stores from what i know about section 8 if you own stores you dont qualify for section 8. and not to mention there up to dated cars, houses, large bank accounts from drug dealing and tons of fake or stolen identy birth certificate and social security numbers one dominican owns. I know I have domincan family. wink wink…;)

13. Anne says:

@christina dont forget their beauty salons, grocery stores from what i know about section 8 if you own stores you dont qualify for section 8. and not to mention there up to dated cars, houses, large bank accounts from drug dealing and tons of fake or stolen identy birth certificate and social security numbers one dominican owns. I know I have domincan family. wink wink…;)

1. anne says:

lol man thats insane, the usa knows this and allows it. I said I have domincan cousins and them themselves says they would not step food on that parade. you know whats mess up that the haiti parade is more civilzed thats why haitian do not like dom ppl.

14. liz says:

lol thats harsh christina!…don’t forget and their beauty salons!…..from what i know about section 8 if you own a business you dont qualify for section 8…lol and every one that i know owns a salon or barber lives in section 8, owns a house some where in long island, up to date cars and most important tons of birthcertificate and social security numbers….wink wink😉

15. Jose says:

Let’s see Dominican culture. Absent baby daddies, welfare hogs, no education. Good job, that;s really something to be celebrating around parades. How do I know this? I work for a state agency, and from my experience, more than 1/2 of the welfare recipients seem to be Dominicans who continuously pop up more children than they can raise with different men who disappear from their lives after the sex. For a country and population so small, they sure do take more than they contribute. My advice, buy some condoms, get education, and act like human beings for a change.

1. Samantha says:

Ok, besides the fact that you work for a state agency you cannot just assume Dominicans do not act like human beings. I myself would not say this parade is the greatest representation of our culture, but you cannot generalize an entire country’s people from your own personal experiences.

Not everyone is uneducated and a lot of the older generation work hard for their money and try their best to encourage their children to stick with school and do their best. My oldest sister is a graduate from Wesleyan University and getting her masters degree at Fordham University’s business school. I am fifteen years old and at a private school in New York where tuition is over 35,000 dollars a year and making the best of my opportunities. So please, do not spread such assumptions and generalizations that do not hold full validity!

2. Just saying says:

Hey Jose, I sure wish your parents had used condoms too…

16. Steffy says:

It’s hard to defend people’s basic human dignity from all the racists after you hear a girl got stabbed in the head last year… Dominicans, get your act together!

17. Fredo says:

Are you planning to take your hatred and ignorance to your grave?

18. bronx says:

its amazing how many people on here are a bunch of racist trash….karma is a bioch!

1. Anne says:

its amazing how many people with negative feedback on the DR parade are all domincans read the comments bronx all comments come from all domincans, admit it sometimes domincans are so ridiculous we OD on domincan day. Thats why the Mayor or all politic official wont move the parade to 5th avenue it will always stay on 6th ave and only 15 blocks long. get real dude !

19. don says:

I don’t like these people in the parade because most of them are gangs.

1. kingjoe says:

don you white trash inbread go back to hell or school

20. Nelly says:

Only the lowlives and felons come to these parades. They all spoil it fo rthe good and respectful people

21. Tania says:

I am Dominicana and would love to celebrate my beutiful heritage but unfortunatly since 99% of my people are animals I would not take the risk of getting stabbed just for fun. Pass!

1. Charley says:

Hey Tania so I’m sure you are the 1% that is practically perfect in every way….

22. Anne says:

for what to watch a whole bunch of people just walking around waving flags this is no parade there’s never a a pretty float to see and its only from 36 to 52 street common even the people watching the parade crashes into the parade. This parade is the most disorganized parade I ever seen. and I am a domincan and its a shame that people just dont know how to act. Im glad its raining domincans dont like water fall on them. so it will be empty on 6th ave.

1. kingjoe says:

anne it looks better then that nasty iirish parade looking like a bunch of pigs same skin color pale like the parade no life in it disgusting people inbreads

1. anne says:

true but at least there’s no killiings, stabbing, shootings, ddp gangs and rapes….so I would say I would feel safer in the irish parade then my own.

2. Sean says:

Talk about skin color and nasty, What does your skin color look like? [it is not chocolate!]

3. TomNJ says:

Aren’t you dominicans the ones who sold all the coke and crack in Washington heights for 20 years? Great contribution to NYC.

23. mike says: