Marlboro Podiatrist Blames Verizon Strike For Lack Of Business

MARLBORO, N.J. (WCBS 880) – Disconnected phone lines can mean life or death for many patients in need of their doctor’s care.

WCBS 880’s Monica Miller With The Story

Fran Cohen says her husband’s podiatry business in Marlboro, New Jersey has been grinding to a halt since Monday, when callers received a message that their phone lines had been disconnected.

Cohen says the problem began when they had scheduled work to be done, but received a message from Verizon that it could not be completed due to the work stoppage.

“We see about 75 patients a day on a Monday and we have an extremely busy phone because he’s a diabetic wound care specialist and podiatric surgeon,” Cohen told WCBS 880 reporter Monica Miller. “We take appointments on an emergency basis everyday and we’re missing out on all of that.”

Verizon spokesman Rich Young says they are looking into Dr. Marc Cohen’s situation. However, due to malicious acts, they may not be able to fix the problem immediately. He says there have been nearly 150 acts of sabotage since the strike began.

“The FBI is investigating. We’re actively working with them on this,” Young told Miller.

The website of the union that represents the striking workers says that they don’t condone violence and expect their members to follow the law.

On Monday, Verizon was granted an injunction against its striking workers in New Jersey.

Comments

1. BILLY320 says:

awwwww POOR BABIES WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THERE BENEFITS AND HAVE A PENSION AT A SET AMOUNT WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD YOU GREEDY MORONS. WHEN A CAR TOOK DOWN A UTILITY ON ROUTE 6 IN MAHOPAC NY A FEW MOTHS AGO . NYSEG PUT A NEW POLE UP AND HAD THE ELECTRIC BACK ON IN A FEW HOURS. WHEN I DROVE BYTHERE 6 VERIZON TRUCKS WERE ON SCENE AND 7 WORKERS WERE STANDING AROUND A BEIGE BOX ON THE GROUND ARGUING AS TO WHERE TO PUT IT AND ONE GUY WAS ASLEEP IN A TRUCK. WE DID NOT GET PHONE, TV, INTERNET SERVICE BACK UNTIL 9 PM THE NEXT.

1. BILLY320 says:

sorry for the spelling mistakes

2. RetiredCommAnalyst says:

The broadband FTTP is almost near completion; 85% of all residences have it. Is it not fair to say that copper wire is being replaced by fiber optic, which is the new “land line,” and has greater tolerance to moisture, corrosion, cross talk… This means less maintenance. Does Verizon really need Field Technicians? Could they not sell off the unionized employees to their subsidiary Frontier Comm, or just use the same contractors that are running f/o from c/o to business. I am for skilled union American labor, but I don’t see a good argument brought by CWA/IBEW on these cutback issues

1. waiting for a fair deal says:

Can you please cite a source for your 85% quote. That’s not even close from what I’ve seen. But, I would be fine with letting the guys who deploy the fios maintain the fios. That would be the union. The only thing I’ve seen contractors running is the underground conduit.

1. greg says:

I agree with the veracity of the 85% figure. Verizon may have built out 85% of their planned FIOS expansion, but even then it will only cover about 50-60 % of their service area. Add to that a current 20-30% penetration, or homes passed rate , they still have quite a bit of room to grow for many years in the FIOS area alone. The other 40-50% of their footprint in the more rural areas can still be serviced just fine with good ol’ copper and DSL. One of their biggest growth areas is business services which is normally serviced over their fiber SONET network. FIOS is great for residential & small businesses, but their optical SONET network for business services is where the real revenue is, and it takes hourly emplyees to deploy & maintain for a long time to come.

3. Janet says:

VERIZON…You are a disgrace to your employees & your customers. Shame on you for causing all of these problems to everyone. These workers helped build your multi billion dollar company & this is how you repay them?
    Instead of paying a fortune for daily newspaper & radio ads, why don’t you do the RIGHT thing & bring that money to the bargaining table?
    The public knows you are trying to BUST this union by your ridiculous demands & because of that, you are doomed to fail again! (1989 – 4 month strike, won)

1. welcome to real world janet says:

boo hoo welcome to the real world millions without jobs .People losing home everyday average workers should be happy to have a job and stop being greedy .Verizon has right to make a profit and not share with workers

1. Joe says:

Your “greedy” remark is definately misplaced….the greed is plain to see for all…Just check out Verizon’s profits for yourself. All these workers want is a fair contract but this company is hell bent on destroying the union. If you are one of the millions w/o a job, don’t be bitter & blame them for your misfortune; They are in a fight for their lives & the lives of all middle class working men & women. Amen.

4. Michael Korres says:

you know what ? VERIZON IS THE ONE THAT IS DOING THIS! NOT THEW UNION! WITHOUT THE UNION VERIZON WOULD TREAT EVERY WORKER AS IF THE JUST SLID IN FROM ACROSS THE SOUTHERN BORDER. I AIN’T MEXICAN AND I AM HIGHLY SKILLED AND TRAINED BY VERIZON. WHY SHOULD I WORK FOR NOTHING BECAUSE ALL THE FREAKS HERE SAY SO. ………..FU** YOU ALL. BUNCH OF HATERS WHO HATE THIER COUNTRY, THEMSELVES AND ASNYONE WHO GETS WHAT THEY WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Rich says:

Wake up Verizon workers… everybody else pays a portion of their employee health benefits and hardly anyone receives pension benefits anymore. It’s time for you to contribute for these benefits, or get out of the way of millions of unemployed Americans who will take the job in a minute. BTW, I got tired of waiting on Verizon to fix my broken line and am now going back to Cablevision. Just like we’ll be saying to our President in Novemeber of 2012…Good riddance…

1. waiting for a fair deal says:

Personally, I expected to have to start contributing to health care premiums. However, lump that in with the other 99 points that Verizon wants to strip away and you have a very poor labor agreement that will destroy families, erode the tax base and ship even more jobs overseas. Maybe people really enjoy talking to people they can’t understand when they call customer service.

1. I have no cheese for your whine says:

Noone forcing you to stay at this job if you do not like the deal.

6. down with unions says:

to all the people on strike, you know who I am, I’m then one flipping you the brid as I drive by…

1. Scott says:

I’m not sure what the “brid” is you idiot!

1. Scott needs help reading says:

Wow Scott u must be a idiot if u cannot figure this out.Maybe this is why your being replaced because u need everything spelled out for you.

2. Lauralane says:

Hey there DWU

Next time, make sure you stop when passing by!

3. uptown says:

Down with unions….. lnot sure who you are ; you must drive too fast………..maybe you should identify yourself that way I know for sure. let me know.

7. truedat says:

There are 5 big lies that Verizon is trying to get away.

1.They want you to think that the wireless network is somehow separate from everything else
    and is maintained by little elves or maybe Elvis. The union worker maintains that network.

2.They want you to think we are on strike because they want us to pay a little of our healthcare costs. The list of things they want take back includes pension,overtime,holidays,wages,etc…

3.They want you to think that cell phone calls are the only thing that makes them money.I just cant believe they lose money on all these high capacity ckts (from ds0 to OC192 level) keeping Wall Street,hospitals,banks,airports,police and firehouses etc… up and running. And how about FIOS?
    If FIOS is a money loser then Ivan Seidenberg owes the company 80 million dollars in bonus money back! (I personally think it’s a GREAT product that no other company can touch)

4) When Verizon talks to Wall Street about how things are going they play up how much money their “landline” side of the business is making but now at contract time they want the public to think we are given jobs out of the goodness of the companys heart.

5)Verizon doesn’t want you to know that they’ve already sent alot of non union American jobs to India and if they bust the union or weaken our “job security” language in the contract they will surely send alot more jobs overseas. How does that help our economic recovery?

We need to get the truth out there by all means because the 15 second newsbite is not doing justice to what is being fought for.

1. Norman McConnell says:

I just paid $22.87 for an iPad2-64GB and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic Lumix GF 1 Camera that we got for $38.76 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $675 which only cost me $62.81 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it all from, CentBuzz.com

8. Notonwelfareyet says:

Everyone in every job in this country can be replaced. It’s not just Verizon workers. If people want to fill the spots that we’re striking for then shame on them. If big concessions are made it will affect all workers, including Comcast workers. Their pay and benefits( which is far less btw ) will also be affected. The unions have bargained for and established pay standards and benefits for all of labor. Don’t be jealous… Haters!!

1. waiting for a fair deal says:

Unions have set the bar for wages and benefits. Non union companies generally try to offer competitive compensation in order to attract a skilled workforce. If union wages and bennies are slashed, you will indeed see a ripple effect extend to non union jobs.

1. beachboro says:

You are spot on in your comment. I used to work for the old GTE before the merger to verizon as an exempt employee. I went to work for Cox Business which is a subsidiary of Cox Communications which is of course a so called cable company. To attract and retain qualified talent with telco experience, they have to pay comparable wages.

2. boycott union says:

Not jealous iI make better salary non-union and understand that corporations have right to profit .And just because you do a good job your not entitled to anything more then what you signed on for.All companies are cutting back so maybe it is time for union to giveback this time .

1. waiting for a fair deal says:

Glad you’re doing well for yourself. I agree with almost everything you said except for that last line. I’m not asking for anything more than what I signed up for. My father did the same until he retired with over 30 years service building this network. But, now they want to take almost 30% of his fixed income to pay towards his health care. He’s not going back into the work force at his age. This is but one of roughly 100 items Verizon is trying to take back. I can understand givebacks for a company that is struggling. But for a company that has doubled its profits in the past year, their demands are quite excessive and more than a bit unethical. It’s like the old line, “if everyone else jumps off a bridge …” Verizon has no obligation to do what anybody else is doing. Their only obligation is to their customers, investors and employees. Right now, they’re falling flat on their face before all three.

9. waiting for a fair deal says:

One week of training will not prepare you for this job. This is evident by the management who is trying to do the job and causing more problems than they are fixing. My biggest fear is their lack of safety training. Verizon should have prepared them more before someone gets killed.

1. 1 week training is a week too much says:

Trust me what they do is not rocket science.I seen kids out of high school do there jobs so dont pat yourself on back thinking noone can replace you.And if you have not heard landline and fios are both ancient and not needed.

1. waiting for a fair deal says:

I seriously doubt that. Even if someone did get in right out of high school, I can guarantee it took months of on the job experience to become mildly skilled at what we do. There is no textbook situation in the real world. You need look no further than these poor shleps who are doing our jobs right now. It’s taking them 3-4 times the amount of time it takes us to do the job. And that’s with 2 of them teaming up. I could also give you plenty of examples of the non union contractors who handle the easiest part of the job, the inside wiring. I’m the one who usually has to correct their mistakes or clean up their shoddy work.

2. union be gone says:

WAITING for a fair deal I had verizon up till a year ago and for 2 years and 14 differant tecs they could not give me a good internet signal or even a landline without static. I will stick with time warner cheaper better service and techs who get job done same day.

3. Scott says:

Really? Try checking out the many youtube video’s of management workers who can’t figure out even the easiest of tasks like opening a terminal or hanging a drop wire. Simple tasks that the so-called “replacement” workers cannot do. For the people who are saying that Fios is an old technology… Try reading the Consumer Reports. Our union isn’t asking for anything more than what we have! We just want Verizon to bargain fairly!

4. waiting for a fair deal says:

Union be gone … my guess is you did not have 14 poor technicians, but were the victim of the company’s unwillingness to invest in replacing a bad section of cable that can not be held up with band aids and duct tape any longer. I don’t blame you for finding another provider that can meet your needs.

5. deal... with unions? says:

@Scott,
        while on youtube, check out the striking worker using his 9 year old daughter as a traffic cone blocking workers trying to make a living. All the while screaming obscenities at them… in front of his daughter. This guy should be fired on the spot

6. OMG says:

@deal… with unions?

OMG I just saw that video on youtube… I must say that I was pro-union before I saw this…. now all I could say is OMG. if that is the mentality of the average union worker, forget my support. I get it now, I guess you all just made a “hater” out of me.

7. waiting for a fair deal says:

Not typical. You have bad apples in every bunch. Sort of like the manager who stated that wanted a disciplinary write up in every single person’s file. If your truck idles more than 10 min in 10 degree weather – write up. If you don’t move your truck within 15 min – write up. If you don’t place a cone behind your truck every single time you park – write up. If you answer your phone while driving – write up. If you don’t answer your phone when the manager calls – write up. If someone hits your truck, it’s your fault – time off. Do too little work – write up. Do too much work – write up. Spend too much time cleaning and restocking truck – write up. I could go on and on showing examples of management harassment of union members. The same manager ran into a union member on the picket line in 2000 when roaring out of the parking lot at an unsafe speed.

Not trying to defend this guy. Haven’t even seen the vid. Just saying that you have ugly characters on both sides. Look beyond the idiots.

10. Mike says:

Verizon…you are a disgrace to your employees & customers. (see above) Shame on you for causing all of these problems to everyone.These workers helped build your multi billion dollar company & this is how you repay them? The eyes of the world are looking down at you for your greed!

1. bye bye verizon workers says:

Is that what workers do in every business is build it up why should they get more when everyone is getting less.Landline is done and verizon is all about wireless.There is always time warner or cablevision so hope they can find jobs with one of those companies.

1. waiting for a fair deal says:

Maybe you’re on to something here. Everyone should accept that they need to make do with less. Maybe the top dogs should be willing to do with less than $258 million in pay. Maybe Verizon could pay more than $0.00 in federal tax. Maybe they should pay back the billion plus in taxpayer money they get on top of it. Maybe they should continue shipping jobs overseas while contracting jobs that maintain a critical infrastructure for the wireless network and emergency services to less skilled less qualified workers who will make less money and contribute less in taxes so that there is less money to bailout bankers and other corporate leeches like GM.

2. It is what it is says:

THEtop dogs should not have to give back money that is why they stayed in college got master degrees so they can get high paying jobs.If you want that kind of job go back to school.But us everyday workers are entitled to what we get plus annual increase .But in this economy all big business is making profits and cutting workforce why should verizon be any differant.HEY i want a $200.000 a year job but i should of gone to 4 year college instead of a 2 year.We all choose our path do not be jealous because someone is more driven then you.

3. Scott says:

If you don’t have landline, you don’t have wireless you idiot!!! You’re another uninformed idiot making statements about something you don’t know anything about. And… If landline is done like you so boldly proclaim, than why would you go with cablevision or time-warner?

2. Guess again says:

You must work in management,Thats why you think you can do a job you cant, That is why you are probably upset you epmloyees know more and make more then you without a 4 year degree. Oh and Ed Wittacre the last CEO from AT&T worked his way up from a lineman. And was a great CEO. ATT’s CEO now is a college boy. And stock holders are not impressed one bit with him or his running of the company. A great CEO knows all aspects of the company and the ins and outs. Not just think the know from some fabricated report from his lowers. And if you think you can do the job in a few weeks. Go get a job there and get back to me in a month. We @ ATT have 5 weeks training,weeks of drive alongs. Then more weeks with another new tech so you can team up. Then you are on your own. And tech that have been there 9 months call me all day with questions. AND AT&T SUCKS JUST AS BAD COPERATE THEIVES.

11. Stand up to verizon bully workers says:

Fire them all there are millions unemployed who can do that job with a weeks training.I think in another week you will have people crossing the picket lines.Verizon is not budging you better cross the line before you get the nice ltter in mail stating you are no longer employed by verizon.

1. jj says:

LMAO, A few weeks huh. I work for another larger phone company. And i have been there almost 5 years. And i just mastered my job. And there are 10 other positions higher then mine. If you honestly think you can do it n a couple of weeks, And the job has more skill. Go apply,get a job there and get back to me in 2 months. I will giver you more then a few weeks. That way you should really know it all by then.

1. Med Student says:

It took you 5 years to ‘master’ your job? It took me 5 years to get thru medical school.

2. waiting for a fair deal says:

And how long will it take to “master” your trade. They call it a “practice” for a reason.

3. Michael Korres says:

People here are just looking for an argument! We are as vital as an other utility and there is no use in defending what we do on a daily basis to people who are arrogant and ill informed.. I guess because a fireman does next to nothing all day and responds to a fire when there is one maybe they are being greedy for wanting to get paid while sitting around, according to these folks. It took 5 years to get through med school and you still do nothing but complain and make guesses about peoples illnesses and then prescribe something that you wouldn’t take yourself. i support all people in what ever en devour they have , to make a buck. Don’t knock us. We have to deal with people like you everyday.

Comments are closed.