Neighbors Say Brooklyn Tent Revival Volume So Loud, They’re Praying To God It Stops

DEP Called In To Measure Decibel Levels Of Gospel Tabernacle Church

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A church group in Brooklyn says they set up a tent in Flatbush to spread the word of God. But neighbors say the message is so loud, it’s keeping them up at night.

Every night for the entire month of August the Gospel Tabernacle Church hosts a spiritual revival.

Some neighbors say they’re not bothered by the message. They are bothered by the volume of the message.

“Even with the windows closed, AC running, TV blasting, I feel like I’m sitting in the middle of the revival,” Stacie Williams told CBS 2’s Hazel Sanchez.

“My son who is 4 years old, says at night ‘I can’t go to sleep because I can hear the church,’” Janee Harvey added.

Harvey has complained to the church group, police, city officials, and even started a neighborhood petition to get the group to quiet down. Bishop Kingsford Bloomfield said his Gospel Tabernacle Church is addressing the problem.

“We have tried to keep our levels down, but still enough so the community can hear us,” Bishop Bloomfield said.

Neighbor Victor Philippe said he enjoys the service sounds.

“People, when they come to hear the word, that is supposed to change their lives and help them better themselves,” Philippe said.

Despite the complaints to the revival organizer, neighbors can still hear the service loud and clear. However, they did say the volume now is noticeably lower.

Department of Environmental Protection inspectors were measuring the noise level to see if it goes beyond the 65 decibels allowed by law at night. Neighbor Tobi Parks measured illegal levels on her meter.

“Every night if this is what you had to face when you’re trying to go to sleep or you’re trying to have dinner with your family and you know you’re hearing noise coming out, you know it definitely starts to invade all parts of your life,” Parks said.

Neighbors hope soon everyone will enjoy a little peace.

The DEP said its inspectors will release the results of their noise level measurements on Wednesday.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below.

More from Hazel Sanchez
Comments

1. Devenio says:

“We have tried to keep our levels down, but still enough so the community can hear us.” That’s that damn problem right there. Just like when you nutters get on the train in the morning and wanna lie to me about jesus being gods son and all that – if I wanted to be lied to, I’d go to church! If the community wanted to hear you they’d come to you. Your volume should be just loud enough for the people in your tent to hear. Not a db louder.

1. The Lords Queen says:

We the people need to grown up and realize that Jesus Christ is the child of God and without him we wouldnt even be.This tent has been coming here for years and no new comer is going to come and run them out. Its better to hear the Word of GOD than GUN SHOTS.

1. Rodin says:

YOU, the people, need to grow up (and learn some English grammar) and give up your fantasies, fairy tales and superstitions.

There are more “GUN SHOTS” produced by “the Word of GOD” than by any other influence in the history of Mankind, a quantifiable fact, no denying.

2. Believer says:

Forgive them and continue God’s work, with wisdom of course. Many mockers consider themselves so wise that they ignore their obvious connection with historic calamities. Haiti, Chile, New Zealand, Australia, Japan etc taught them nothing. Now they foolishly dare God concerning New York & the North East. (Be not deceived; God is not mocked – Gal.6:7)
        (…I will mock when your fear cometh – Prov.1:26)
        (Seest thou a wise man in his own conceit, there is more hope for a fool than him”- Prov.26:12).
        Be strong and pray for mercy expecially for the innocent.

3. Rodin says:

@ Believer

4. angry neighbor says:

With all due respect, it doesn’t sound like anyone is trying to run you out. Sound more like they just want you to quiet down. Perhaps if you could turn down your speakers for a moment, you could actually hear what they are trying to say. What happened to respect thy neighbor? As well, with the number of signatures on the petition I’ve seen, its not just “new comers” that have an issue with the noise. Before taking such an arrogant and non-cooperative stance, you should consider how you would feel if someone was blasting noise into your home at 92 decibels every night for a month.

5. Angela says:

LISTEN UP – This comment is coming from a veteran pastor’s wife. We pastor a church in the Bronx & reading this article has made me MAD. THERE IS NOTHING GODLY ABOUT WHAT THESE PEOPLE ARE DOING!! There is nothing GLORIFYING TO GOD about keeping a poor little 4 yr old boy awake all night. In fact what these people are doing is the OPPOSITE of GODLY. They are being loud to draw attention to themselves! NOT TO GOD. Show me one place in the Bible where Jesus was so obnoxious while ministering that he had an entire neighborhood upset with him. THESE PEOPLE NEED TO KNOCK OFF THEIR CARNAL WAYS & LET THE POOR KIDS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD SLEEP – AND STOP MAKING ALL CHRISTIANS LOOK BAD!!!

BE A LIGHT IN THE WORLD LIKE JESUS WAS! DRAW OTHERS TO YOU!! NOT AWAY FROM YOU!!!!! ITS SIMPLE! YOU GUYS HAVE IT FLIPPED!! READ THE WORD!!!!

6. Believer says:

God bless the work @ the tent, done with wisdom. The mockers disregard the fact that the news report neighbours saying that the sound was lowered., The fact that no one could be without sleep all night when you closed at about 11 PM. Haiti, Chile, Japan taught them nothing. Now the recent strong Earthquake will teach them nothing as ell. “Prv.14:16 A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident”.

7. Believer says:

Now the recent deadly North East USA – New York Floods will teach them nothing. 1Pet.2:15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:

2. Norman McConnell says:

I just paid $22.87 for an iPad2-64GB and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic Lumix GF 1 Camera that we got for $38.76 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $675 which only cost me $62.81 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it all from, CentBuzz.com

3. Pastor Raheim says:

At the church of St. Ides, there be no noise ‘cept the sweet sound of sippin’ & chillin’.

4. Sigmund says:

man, that sucks. these fools need to have some manners when they set up shop for a MONTH! Why do they need an entire month? Aren’t churches open every day for people if they want it? Maybe people don’t want it.

5. Rodin says:

The Dutch of the Golden Age (XVII c.), who gave us oil paint, the art gallery, genre painting and still life, letter writing, the postal service, international trade, the stock market, the tulip and gin, also embraced religious tolerance, “freedom of religion” … and FROM it. While the they were free to believe or not in whatever got them through the night, it was to be done so privately. Banned were all outward manifestations and religious symbols.

No proselytizing, no problem, no noise.

KEEP YOUR FAITHS OUT OF MY FACE!

1. Rodin says:

SUE FOR NUISANCE.

2. doc in NJ says:

@Rodin

caught you. Blatant plagiarism! Give credit where it is due (even if this is only a comment blog on a news site). Mark Oppenheimer from the Times wrote your entire seemingly extemporaneous prose in Oct, 2010. I read your post and remembered reading those exact words somewhere….thus

Shame on you… I’ve read your comments many times thinking you were as cerebral as me… oh well, another “Google smarty pants.” I’ve lost my respect for you.

3. Rodin says:

@ doc in NJ

GOT ME!!!!! I’ have been OUTED! I must confess.

But plagiarism this is NOT. THAT IS ME, that comment is mine and all the links are from MY WEBSITE, From-The-DOGHOUSE dot com. Go to the “Anasagasti List” link and click on Personal Musings icon near the top.

There I am with my Schnauzer, RODIN, who lets me use his e-mail address because his paws don’t allow him to type.

1. Rodin says:

You will find an almost identical comment on:
        Catholics Fire Back At Atheists In Billboard Battle
        Catholic League Takes $18,500 Shot At ‘Militant Atheism’
        December 1, 2010

So fun! LOL

2. doc in NJ says:

@ Rodin

my apologies, dear knowledgeable Sir.

as an aside, your erudite writing is most refreshing.

3. Rodin says:

Apologies accepted. No hard feelings.

Friendly advice: you shoulda done a search of my name. There are about 35,600 results on Google. I’m not exactly anonymous.

Good without god.

~ RC.

4. Rodin says:

PS –

I’m NOT erudite. I don’t know more than others. I just question more … and learn.

6. DanTe says:

If these people love god so much, just burn the tent down with them in it. They’ll be with god real soon than.

7. Vernon Hell says:

I live 50 miles from the site and I would be bothered, not only by the volume but the message as well. Wake up people. GOD IS FAKE! It is nothing more than a multi-millennial spiritual Ponzi scheme!

Man invented this god fraud and man had better kill it.

1. Rodin says:

I love your moniker. It’s quite clever.

May the Dogs be with you!

8. Angry neighbor says:

As a resident of the block hosting the revival, I have no problems with the church hosting their event or the message they are bringing to the community. What I do have a problem with is the extreme noise level that makes living here during the month of August stressful and less than pleasant. If those at the revival would take the time to visit this block outside the month of August, they would know this block is actually very quiet…there is no blasting hip hop, there are no bullets whizzing past my head..Only homeowners who have invested themselves in making this block pleasant for those that live here. If you’re hearing those things near your church and in your neighborhood, take your noise there and please give me and my family some peace.

1. Negative Ned says:

“if you see something, say something,” I would call from a pay phone to anonymously report a suspicious looking package on their premise or nearby. Do this a few times a week. They will get the message.

9. Pastor Shekinah says:

Good morning my sister,
    I pray that this finds you in peace and knowing that God is. Truly the word of the lord wants us to one have a special love for the house hold of faith. Two that if there is a ort against a brother or sister take a witness and go to them with that witness, never once did the lord tell us to blast one another especially to the unsaved. This one thing that keeps them from coming into the house of God. So pray and ask for forgiveness. One thing is for sure on that day many will be amazed at who won’t make it in…. God Bess and you and may heaven smile upon you….Finally, if it was hip hop or gansta rap there would be no problem….

1. Rodin says:

The arrogance of piety!

10. peter wilson says:

the city should shut this down………its amazing how much power these church groups have, they are allowed to do whatever they want. Play loud music, double park and completely block streets……hopefully nobody at the service ever needs medical help or there is a fire, cause good luck trying to get an emergency vehicle in there. All the pastors have some BS parking pass in their windows they use to park everywhere. Its ridiculous. Total corrupt people. Everyone is so god fearing and there are 2 churches on every block, but their kids are out robbing, stealing, dealing and destroying the hood. FYI, this church is in the hood in case you don’t know. its a joke.

1. Pastor Shekinah says:

Good morning my brother,
      Truly, you have made some very strong point,s and some being true. This is one reason why there, is no time for foolishness if the enemy is out to get the very elect, trust and believe me play time is out. One, I believe that we have to be wise in winning a soul, and not just build those that are already saved. In fact the revival is for those that are already saved to strengthen that which, is weak. The soul saving outreach, is what we need to be doing. So people of God this is your first task to reach this brother here. Remember, in all your getting get understanding. If this is sending souls away then only the devil is being glorified. If God is being glorified then souls will truly be saved and remained. My plea to the churches, are to take it to the street, not for you be for the lost…. I pray that the lord will meet you my brother in your sleep thoughts and all of your doings until you know that he be GOD!!!!! I LOVE YOU AND WILL KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYERS…..

1. Rodin says:

The arrogance of piety X 2!!!

11. Angela says:

LISTEN UP – This comment is coming from a veteran pastor’s wife. We pastor a church in the Bronx & reading this article has made me MAD. THERE IS NOTHING GODLY ABOUT WHAT THESE PEOPLE ARE DOING!! There is nothing GLORIFYING about keeping a poor little 4 yr old boy awake all night. In fact what these people are doing is the OPPOSITE of GODLY. They are being loud to draw attention to themselves! NOT TO GOD. Show me one place in the Bible where Jesus was so obnoxious while ministering that he had an entire neighborhood upset with him. THESE PEOPLE NEED TO KNOCK OFF THEIR CARNAL WAYS & LET THE POOR KIDS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD SLEEP – AND STOP MAKING ALL CHRISTIANS LOOK BAD!!!

1. Lauren says:

Thanks for your post…
      I was hoping more sensible religous people would realize how obnoxious this is…
      Noise actually reduces people’s life span…
      Not to mention hearing problems later on in life…

12. John says:

Religion is the mistake buddy boy and stats all over the civilized show religion is bad for all crimes… teen suicide, divorce, murder etc. Less religion and better living… Now make the same claim I just did… difference is the stats back me up, not you.

1. harvest army says:

With due respect, please do better research. Most informed persons inspite of their worldview know that your stats is incorrect. Moreover the irrefutable prophecies of scripture are being fulfilled before our eyes worldwide. Be wise and seek Christ. (final comment)

1. Rodin says:

“Too often in time past, religion has brought forth criminal and shameful actions. How many evils has religion caused!”

~ LUCRETIUS
        Roman poet and philosopher
        (c.99 – c.55 BCE)

2. the seer says:

JOHN; what is religion. IT SEEMS YOU DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT THE WORD RELIGION MEANS … YOU PROBABLY ARE AN UNBELIEVER.. YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHRISTIANITY AND RELIGION.

1. Michael H. says:

Christianity is a religion. Don’t kid yourself.

2. Rodin says:

“Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable.”

From: The Devil’s Dictionary
        ~ AMBROSE BIERCE
        American Author and Humorist
        (1842-1914)

13. harvest army says:

While the volume should be at tolerable level, it is the goepel that some want to reject. That is a mistake in this very serious time on earth. In Brookyn secular music is heard blasting extremely loud all night, every week end, all year. These events often end with vionece and murder. Mcuh crime is reduced after tent meetings.

1. harvest army says:

While the volume should be at tolerable level, it is the gospel that some want to reject. That is a mistake in this very serious time on earth. In Brooklyn secular music is heard blasting extremely loud all night, every week end, all year. These events often end with violence and murder. Much crime is reduced after tent meetings (correction)

1. Rodin says:

I know I do.

“Christianity is the enemy of liberty and of civilization. It has kept mankind in chains.”
        ~ AUGUST BEBEL
        German social democrat;
        one of the founders of the Social Democratic Party of Germany
        (1840-1913)

KEEP YOUR FAITHS OUT OF MY FACE!

14. ProFromDover says:

As the Rev. Billy Sol Hargus might say, “Put your hand on the tent pole and say ‘hallelujah!'”

Comments are closed.