Young Bronx Woman Dies In Crossfire Sunday

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police say a young woman shot and killed in the Bronx was an innocent bystander caught in the crossfire.

Yaritza Pacheco, 24, was fatally hit by a stray bullet fired as she walked to a store on East 174th Street in the Tremont section. Police say the bullet struck her in the neck.  She ran and then collapsed.

Residents set up a makeshift memorial at the site where she died.

According to 1010 WINS, Pacheco was a manager at an Applebee’s restaurant and the mother of a toddler.

A 23-year-old man was shot in the leg. Reports say he may have been the intended target.

Police have made no arrests.

What should be done to improve security in Crotona Park? Sound off in our comments section below…

Comments

1. YO soy YO says:

i been thru hell & back a few times in the past few years of my life……everything from fights to losin EVERYTHING that i called mines & not 1 tear but when i heard wat happened to u they just come out ……there was nothing i could do 2 hold them back …….U & I shared good times together nothing but laughter’s…….like we use to say “just relaxin here chillin”….Yari u was more then a friend……..U was 1,000% REAL……u was G’d up from feet up…..u could of showed most man how 2 hold their own…..u was a GREAT MoM, a GREAT Person, u was a Blessin…..DIOS TE BENIGA & Rest In Peace U will be Missed……

Ur True Friend
    “Yo soy YO”a.k.a “Ur Payaso”
    Linda u will NEVER be 4Gotten

2. Dooby says:

Baby I luv u an our princess will be well taken care of an u will always be in our hearts an I will never let our princess forget who you are luv you forever an ever

1. Mich188 says:

I am Very sorry for your loss “Pink Panther” , i am sure you will take great care of your daughter. I always knew you would be a great father.

2. mich188 says:

RIP Yaritza

3. BIG MOE says:

YARI YOU WILL BE MISSED I WILL KEEP MY EYE ON DEE FOR YOU.R.I.P.

4. Steph boo says:

Yari was a young strong woman who stood up for what she believed in. She always had her daughters best interest at heart and was a great positive role model for her and others. I am deeply devastated and appalled that there currently are no leads. I pray that the person who did this realizes the pain they’ve brought not to just a family but to an entire community. I hope they burn in hell.

5. Lynne says:

This is a Human life being taken for no reason. Have some regards to the family, her child that is now left without a Mother. All my syphathy goes out to the family amd most of all to the child.

6. Jen says:

A more appropriate picture would be in order. The one that is posted makes her look like she’s a prostitute.
    Not trying to be disrespectful – this is very sad. I’m just saying, they should find a pic that doesn’t have her lying down suggestively and pushing her breasts together. Inappropriate.

1. Juan O says:

Perhaps you shouldn’t be focused on that! Not trying to be disrespectful, but tht comment was truly unnecessary. It was…Inappropriate.

2. John D says:

Jeez, what are you, a Quaker?! That is not a suggestive photo and you are a self-centered disgrace to suggest – from that photo – that the woman was selling sex, or just trying to look that way!! You POS!

7. Lynne says:

This is to Da-nt-a: When did human beings become Monkey’s(which is the correct spelling of the word) MORAN

1. abh477 says:

apparently this guy didn’t pass preschool

8. abh477 says:

i was born and raised in the bronx i don’t remember it being this bad in the bronx. sure we had drugs, crackhead, broken down buildings but not like this.
    The mayor, the governor, the commissioner need to step up and open their eyes and see and walk thru these communities. see the families that are struggling day-by-day. see why the parks are not filled with kids playing but filled with thugs and their everyday dealings. we have our own war to fight and its not even terrorists but thugs, it’s ashame.
    R.I.P yaritza.

1. mike says:

dont blame the governor blame the people

1. tyshawn says:

im sure you wouldnt blame the governor if it was still patterson

2. abh477 says:

if you read my comment there is no blaming on anyone….. patterson who??

9. Mike says:

10. MIke says:

Increase security and place cameras on ever street corner. I grew up in New york City and lived in the Bronx. Now a child will be without the mother. Life in prison is not good enough. The chair will be fine slow death. Show it on TV and get guns off of the streets.The young lady might have had a future and have set short and long term goals becoming successful with dreams to move out of the city one day. Its sad to know that people walking down the street loose their life for no reason at all. I agree Bring back the death penalty and create a firing squad to shoot and kill anyone convicted of shooting another.

11. DOSHIA T. KING says:

R.I.P YARI…😥

12. James says:

Bring back the death penalty and create a firing squad to shoot and kill anyone convicted of shooting another. Otherwise the senseless shootings will continue. 20 year prison sentences is not enough to undue the damage done when innocent people are killed. Killers get to walk out of prison where they get free room and board, free medical and recreation. Meanwhile the victims remain dead forever and the families are affected for the rest of their lives. If you shoot someone, you should be willing to suffer the same fate.

13. Ruth Noemi Vallejo Gonzalez says: