Babysitter, Infant Die After Being Found Unresponsive Inside Greenlawn Home

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police are investigating the tragic deaths of a babysitter and an infant on Long Island.

Suffolk County Police received a 911 call Thursday at about 9:35 p.m. about a baby not responding. When they arrived at the home in Greenlawn, they found both the 1-month-old baby, Michael Baldwin III, and his sitter, 39-year-old Teresa Coffey, unresponsive.

Michael Baldwin, the father of the baby boy, said he arrived home to make the unthinkable discovery.

“I saw [the babysitter] slumped over and I began to lift her up and I found my son underneath her and he was dead,” Baldwin said.

1010 WINS’ Al Jones Reports On The Tragedy

Baldwin, a reporter for News 12 on Long Island, said Coffey had left a message on his voicemail around 6 p.m. Thursday, but that he didn’t see it until closer to 9 p.m.

“I was leaving work at the time and I called her cell phone about a zillion times and she didn’t pick up and I called the house phone and nobody answered,” Baldwin said.

The baby’s mother was also not home because she was dealing with health issues, CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman reported.

Baldwin said that both the front and back doors were locked when he got home.  Suffolk Lt. Gerard Pelkofsky said that the medical examiner was conducting autopsies on both the baby and Coffey.

“We don’t believe foul play is involved.  We’re investigating exactly what may have happened to the babysitter that she was located on top of the child.  We did a carbon monoxide test and it was determined that was not present in the residence at that time,” Pelkofsky said.

Guzman reported that the sitter collapsed and died from a medical problem and that police said she landed on the child, apparently suffocating him.

Baldwin and his wife had always wanted a child. Doctors had told him he could not conceive one and then one day Baldwin said his wife told him: “guess what? I’m pregnant.”

“He had a medical issue and had been in the hospital for about 17 days and I just got him home,” Baldwin said. “I love my little boy with all my heart.”

The baby was given CPR at the scene and transported to Huntington Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Coffey, of Port Jefferson Station, was also transported to Huntington Hospital, where she was pronounced dead a short time later.

Baldwin said that it was first time he used Coffey as a sitter. He said she was an acquaintance of his wife.

“I didn’t really know her all that well,” Baldwin said. “We had been talking since my baby was born.  She talked about how much she wanted to baby-sit him.”

“Little Michael was my life and, you know, I spent every waking moment of the day with him.  There wasn’t a day I wasn’t with him and I had so many plans and dreams,” Baldwin said.

Please leave a comment below…

Comments

1. Robinks says:

This is a such a horrible tragedy. What I simply cannot understand is why a one month old infant, who had spent his first 17 days in the hospital due to medical issues, was being cared for by an acquaintance of his mother. An acquaintance! Was the mother suddenly hospitalized? I understand that what occurred was a freak accident that could have happened regardless of who was caring for the child. What is utterly inexplicable is that a days-old (days!), medically fragile infant was casually placed in the care of a virtual stranger. The father states that he “didn’t really know her all that well” and it was the first time he had used her as a sitter. How many “sitters” were involved in the few days this baby had been at home? It’s just weird.

2. tookie says:

I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS- GOD GAVE YOU LITTLE MICHAEL AS A MIRACLE BABY- KEEP PRAYING AND HOPEFULLY HE WILL BLESS YOU AND YOUR WIFE WITH ANOTHER MIRACLE- MIRACLES DO HAPPEN

3. Tears for baby says:

A terrible tragedy. My heart goes out for the parents of the baby. Please check your baby sitter’s background. You can not be too careful with your children. You never may know if you are leaving your precious baby with someone who has a history of drug abuse or prior criminal history.

1. k says:

A background check will not inform you when or if your sitter is going to suddenly drop dead

1. Tears for baby says:

YOU must leave your child with anyone then who is willing to babysit. They might be a pediphile,a drug abuser, alcoholic, or have a criminal history of child abuse. It might not tell you if that person is going to die while watching your child, but I sure would not allow that person to be anywhere near my child! The babysitter’s lifestyle and habits were the cause of her early demise. She is the third person I know that died by the age of 40 because of smoking, alcohol, drug use, and/or obesity. She is the posterchild of HOW TO DIE YOUNG. It is a shame she took a brand new life with hers.

4. Richard Kurdt says:

So who called 911?

5. jennifer juniper says:

My heart breaks for the parents. I wish there was more information and I am sure in the coming days we will find out. I am sorry, but I don’t know how God could take away innocent babies and put the parents through this agony.

1. Breanna Jeanette Morillon says:

god isnt doing this to these parents… My prayers are out to the family!

6. anita a says:

I am so sorry . you are all in my prayers

7. ZANA says:

O LORD I PRAY THAT YOU GIVE PEACE TO THIS NEW MOTHER AND FATHER. MY HEART AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THIS FAMILY. I CAN NOT EVEN IMAGINE GOING THROUGH THAT. LORD PLEASE KEEP THEM STRONG AND I PRAY THAT YOU WILL GIVE THEM FAITH STRENGTH HOPE AND HAPPINESS AGAIN SOME DAY. PLEASE GOD HEAL THEM AND CARRY THEM IN YOUR ARMS NEAR YOUR HEART SO THEY KNOW THEY ARE NOT ALONE. I SEND MY LOVES AND PRAYERS TO THE FAMILY. AMEN

8. diana says:

I’m so sorry. It is a tragedy indeed!

9. Bryan says:

He is choked up with emotion. His saying “my baby” during a crisis is a normal parental instinct found within both mothers and fathers.

10. Maritza Morales says:

I am so sorry for your loss. May God bless you and yours! I pray that this precious baby and the sitter RIP.

11. pazyfe says:

Oh my how sad, but in the midst of all of this we much know that God will give you strength, because you know who is going to accept something as this without strength and peace from the Holy Spirit.

12. aziba says:

May the Lord be with u during that difficult time .Be comforted.

13. tc says: