Police Search For Gunmen In Fatal Shooting Of Andy Burke, 79, In Bed-Stuy

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A community is in shock after two armed men opened fire in broad daylight, killing an innocent man.

Police said 79-year-old Andy Burke was sitting outside a barbershop along Marcus Garvey Boulevard in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood when he was caught in a shootout around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday evening.

The victim’s son, Stephen Kennedy, is reeling after getting the worst news of his life.

“Just you know, a lot of hurt.  I mean, me and my dad was real close,” he told CBS 2’s Kathryn Brown.

Some witnesses ran up to try and help Burke as he lay in a pool of blood.

1010 WINS’ John Montone reports from Bed-Stuy

“And he’s reaching up, trying to reach for me, and I can’t even help him. I can’t do nothing to help him,” one neighbor recounted.

Burke was struck in the neck, and died at Interfaith Medical Center. Police said the two suspects shot at least four bullets. Surveillance video showed them fleeing the scene.

Neighbors told CBS 2’s Kristin Thorne that Burke was well-known and respected in the community.

“He’s been in this neighborhood so long. He never bothered nobody. And now his family have to prepare for a funeral and everything. It’ s not right,” the neighbor said.

From the Bed-Stuy neighborhood, where Burke grew up, to the East New York apartment building where he has lived for the last 10 years, those who knew him best are saddened by a senseless loss.

“He was a good man. He was the greatest,” said Ramonita Rivera Kennedy, the victim’s daughter-in-law.

“I can’t believe it…I can’t tell you anymore because we were just friends,” Connie Richardson said. “There’s so many guns, it’s just like they say, there’s too many damn guns out here.”

Police are stepping up patrols and working to track down the gunman. Burke’s son said he won’t rest until his father’s killer is behind bars.

“No matter what I do or what I say, it’s not gonna bring him back. I just hope justice is served,” said Kennedy.

Watch video of the incident below:

Meanwhile, a group of local community activists rallied against gun violence Thursday morning.

1010 WINS’ Glen Schuck Reports From The Rally

“Young people need to come together. We need to find out what’s going on and get this thing right, because we don’t need to be out here shooting at each other like this,” the neighbor added.

“Since when has a haircut become a death sentence?” asked Tony Herbert from the Urban Community Council.

Herbert and other frustrated community activists are up in arms after an epidemic of deadly shootings and held a Stop the Madness rally in East Harlem, where three people were shot Wednesday night.

Rev. Vernon Williams demanded help from City Hall and from Washington.

“What? You can solve the problems in Israel, Mr. Obama, but you can’t solve the problems on 3rd Avenue? There’s war right here. We need the resources right here in our community,” he said.

Please leave a comment below…

Comments

1. MRSDJANNA2YOU says:

PLEASE PLEASE STOP BLAMING OUR PRESIDENT FOR THE GUNS THAT WERE ON THE STREET WAY BEFORE HE WAS EVEN ELECTED, THIS IS A CITY LEVEL SITUATION!!!!! GET A GRIP REV. ITS A SHAME ON SO MANY LEVELS THAT OUR PEOPLE DONT HAVE ANY REGARD FOR LIFE. RIP SIR

2. Nita says:

I’m just tired of all this

3. Clean Up Your Act says:

What does this situation have to do with Israel!? The President’s foreign policy is not in question here. Yes we do have a problem at home: people running around with guns, people using illegal drugs, children without decent parents, children who are abused and mistreated, unemployment, etc. Why doesn’t the Reverend try to do something about it?! “Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country!”

4. mary Smith says:

jandgdist.com!!!! Support breast cancer – hope for a cure in every bag of Pink Potato Chips – check it out!!!!

5. Black Baby Boomer says:

Until there is real gun control on the federal level, guns will continue to be plentiful in America. And until parents start raising their kids again instead of letting them run wild and offer them discipline, encouragement, and nuturing, we’ll continue to see more of this senseless violence.

1. NYC42A says:

Guns will always be plentiful as long as there is a demand. Removing people from society who do these heinous crimes is a start. Raising them right from the beginning will also go a long way.

2. dreboogie says:

There is going to be no real gun control in this country….Forget about it…..The gun trade is like the illegal drug trade, if you stop either from entering this country, 100,000 people will be out of a job….So the only way to curb some of this senseless violence is to play defense…..We have to pay attention to our young people and stop being their friends and start being their parents….

6. Ully says:

…could always move to Medford…or Dr. Petit’s old ‘hood.

7. MR LIBERAL says:

……CRIME IS DOWN FROM THE 80′ AND WE ARE STILL THE SAFEST BIG CITY IN THE WORLD…..GOD BLESS THE HONORABLE MAYOR MICHAEL BLOOMBERG AND GOD SPEED POLICE COMMISIONER RAYMOND KELLY…

1. Very conservative says:

Ok Mr liberal, now go spend a few weeks in Bed-Stuy. I’d assume that you have at least one friend there that will accommodate you. Please be sure to let us all know how “safe” it is there.

2. midi-man says:

Yes it is when you read the Hampton times and not watch the NY news.
      He is oblivious to what is really going on.

3. NYC42A says:

They keep repeating those statements but the truth is NYC has the most number of rapes, murders and violent crimes in the country.

Please keep in mind what St Augustine wrote, “The good Christian should beware the mathematician and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of hell.”

8. Very conservative says:

Should start a pool on the next shooting will occur in one of those lovely, LOVELY Bklyn neighborhoods such as: Bed-Stuy, Crown Hgts, E.New York, Brownsville, Flatbush, Bushwick, Canarsie, etc, etc, etc.

And to any WHITE liberal repliers: let me just ask you….honestly….would you want to live in one of these areas even for free or really cheap rent? I know one personally with some $ problems, and every time I ask him, all I get is “Oh, I live where I live, why move?” I expect the same response from any such person here as well. Although a simple (and HONEST) ‘yes’ or ‘no’ would be better.

1. Honest response from a REAL black MAN says:

It would seem old man that you have no idea what you speak of. Bed-Stuy is being taken over by white liberals and conservatives at present. There is crime everywhere old man. You can’t get away from it. I grew up in Bed-Stuy. Its not what it use to be. That being said, I want these yellow rat punks caught and executed. I am liberal in some things but overall conservative – age does that to you, I’m sick of these punk cowards running around shooting each other. Learn to fight you punks! Use your hands or your mouths and talk it out. You are nothing more than animals – no animals don’t shoot each other. You are lower than animals, I feel sorry for your parents. They failed at bringing you up. Raise punks instead of men. Do the world a favor and put the gun in your mouths and pull the trigger.

1. Glenn Erdmann says:

Well said and I am white.

1. S a n t aC l a u s says:

Jews don’t count. Because you are the “Chosen Ones”. Pfft. (yawn)

Comments are closed.