‘SlutWalk NYC’ Draws Over 1,000 Demonstrators To Union Square

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Over 1,000 people took part in a march and rally in lower Manhattan Saturday to raise awareness about sexual and domestic violence.

Mari Morales-Williams says she knows first-hand that becoming a rape victim doesn’t depend on what you’re wearing.
Scantily clad or not, she says it can happen to anyone.

“The person who violated me was a person that I trusted, a person that I knew,” she told CBS 2’s Ann Mercogliano. “It wasn’t any sluttish behavior that got me raped.”

LISTEN: 1010 WINS’ Steve Sandberg reports

LISTEN: WCBS 880’s Alex Silverman reports

Morales-Williams rallied with SlutWalk NYC demonstrators in Union Square, some dressed in only their undergarments, hoping to get that message across.

The march started in Union Square and headed down Broadway to 8th Street, 2nd Avenue to Third Street and then to Lafayette Avenue before heading back to Union Square.

The recent string of sexual assaults in Brooklyn and reports that police are asking women to avoid wearing skirts where the attacks occurred were also prevalent on their minds.

One of the latest attacks was on Sept. 25 when police say a 25-year-old woman was grabbed, punches and thrown to the ground by a man who then tried to rape her. She fought back and screamed until witnesses ran over, scaring off the suspect.

‘They said you should not dress like sluts and we’re taking that back,” said one protestor.

“No matter how you dress, no matter what you do, you deserve not to be raped or sexually assaulted,” said another protestor. “That the fault is never on the victim, the fault is never on the attacked.”

SlutWalk began in Toronto, where a police officer reportedly told women not to dress scantily to protect themselves. The movement quickly spread across Canada and the U.S.

“I was 17. I was in my home wearing a sweatshirt. There was nothing I did to ask for it,” marcher Mary Silloway told Mercogliano.

Activists, victims and family members like Morales-Williams’ mother Heddi all marched together.

“Very hard, very hard, she’s a survivor, she’s strong,” Morales said. “My pride is just, even though this happened to her she’s still moving on.”

For more information about Slut Walk NYC, visit slutwalknyc.com.

What do you think of “slut” walks? Please share your thoughts below…

Comments

1. brendatobias says:

Three cheers for drawing attention to sexual violence, but a huge jeer for even considering equating a woman’s appearance with her chance of being victimized. I natter more here: http://heresheisboys.com/2011/10/04/whats-what-walk/

2. John J says:

there’s a quite simple solution to the problem of sexual attacks. CCW
    yes. any teacher , any waitress , any nurse, any dancer, any hard working
    woman should house the ablilty to defend themselves.

the amount of criminals are increasing, more and more innocent civilians will become victims to this situation ESPECIALLY WOMEN.

i believe a woman should obtain a pistol permit and training .
    just think

-not all women know kung-fu,
    -the cop will not always be there in time
    -you have no idea what this guy plans to do after he’s finished
    -most rapes and domestic attacks often lead to murder.
    this can happen to any woman anytime.
    – when the guy get away it’ll take days to find this man.
    by that time he’s probly attacked 6 other women killing 3 of them.

all of this could be avoided if that first woman had a conceal carry weapons permit and training

3. jkdrattler says:

I was there and I am proud to have marched. I was in pants and a hoodie, but should that even be an issue? I would have STILL been proud if I marched in my corset and garter belt. Many of you who are commenting on this clearly are missing the point of it, but that’s ok. You can try and put us down for our clothes and say it was all for attention, and that we hate men and this was pointless, but you’re only furthering our cause to march. You weren’t there to see the firefighters outside of their house cheering for us, some of the cops chanting our chants, or the public in general there to support. Whether you like it, or understand it or not, our message is spreading and it’s getting across. Thank you Lauren and Aly for having some sense in this discussion.

1. BARBARA ANN says:

I would love to see you in your corset and garter belt any day of the week .I THINK YOUR HOTT

4. Marina Ios says:

how someone dresses should definitely not be a reason for rape, abuse, etc, on the other hand, it is absolutely a matter of common sense and taste

1. Judy Davis says:

I agree that a woman should be able to dress as she wishes without fear of rape but I do not understand the mentality that would send women into the streetsin their underwear because of some stupid comment. I really believe that protest would have more impact if they were dressed because nearly naked merly gets attention not necessarily support.

5. KPMc says:

“Police said as part of a pattern they are alerting the public that most of the victims were targeted at night and wore skirts or dresses, but they say they have no opinion on attire.”

The police withhold info and they get vilified… they give you the info and still people find a need to complain.

If all of the victims wore red wool caps, the cops didn’t divulge that and someone with a similar cap was attached they’d get sued for not doing enough to protect citizens.

They gave out the info… didn’t call anyone any names or make judgements… just gave out the info… do with as you wish…

No one is saying you can’t dress as you want but this city isn’t a harmless playground. Be aware at all times, stop letting your guard down, skipping down the street like your at an amusement park and for heaven’s sake stay in groups and watch out for your friends and each other.

Making yourself totally vulnerable, unaware of your surroundings and unable to stand on your own two feet is not a good idea.

1. Abigail Johnston says:

‘As for the plethora of young women who come into the city every night, dressed to the nines very sexily, going out to clubs, getting inebriated beyond being able to take care of themselves… YES… you should take heed.’

I agree with the drink part, that is hundred per cent true, but not ‘dressed to the nines very sexily’. EVERYWHERE, all over the world, there’s always ‘a bad place’ where you apparently have to be ‘careful’ what you wear. I was wearing my school uniform when I was attacked once. Another time, jeans and a top and I had every right when I turned around to the guy and spat in his face. My friends said I was dressed ‘sexy’ and I’d had one drink, but I don’t agree women should be careful of what they wear, just because men may think ‘Oh…she looks easy.’

1. KPMc says:

Oh I am not saying women should’t dress nice when they go out (I appreciate sexy but can do it being respectful… but a lot of guys can’t do that)… Just saying it is part of garnering ‘unwanted’ attention. In that situation it is imperative you have your wits about you and hopefully friends to watch your back.

But if some creep is capable of attacking a woman chances are the sexy one (or the one dressed overtly sexy) is the one that is going to catch his eye.

I guess I am just saying I see so many young women oblivious to their surroundings, partying and having a good time but putting themselves in danger because you can’t be totally carefree when going out in the city, especially overnight.

6. Andy says:

No legalized prostitution, brothels?
    There is no other way for safety for other kind of woman.

7. RU4REAL says:

How stupid can people get? If it were the clothes you wear then what about the 80 yo grandma, 4 yo old lil girls, infants???? Oh yes and lets not forget the lil boys…i guess their teeshirt’s and jeans are too tight as well or their hair too long! IDIOTS! People rape people for their own gratification, wouldn’t matter what you wore or what you looked liked!

8. OBAMA_NOT_AMERICAN says:

More losers marching around seeking attention.

9. sammy says:

Participants can wear WHATEVER THEY WANT. Can no media outlet get this right? Ask questions! Look around!

And it has spread from Toronto across the world – not just the USA. There have been marches in Mexico City, London, Cape Town, New Delhi, and marches planned in Perth, AUS, Singapore, Chile, and countless other cities.

10. Dan Sat says:

The entire issue combines the sexual urge with a hunger for control. Dressing skimpy is rarely about just comfort; it’s also a way to manipulate men through their sexual feelings and appreciativeness of feminine sexuality. Many men want to see it and feel this way, many others attempt to remain unaffected by it. Sexuality is a game with many facets and some of them involve the risk of losing control or willingly giving it over. Some men are active, willing, and enjoyable participants in the games of sexuality. Others are shunned on all fronts. Among both types, there are those who cross the line, who break the rules. The existence of both types can’t be ignored by anybody. A woman can opt out of one facet of the game by choosing to dress modestly. This might be a loss to her, but we can’t ignore that it can also give her more safety.

1. Sean Jean says:

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

2. Sarah says:

Well said Dan.

11. bobby says:

hey, that chick at the top in the red scarf? i’d hit it.

12. your uncle says:

They only got 1000. Nothing to see here.

13. Chris says:

Can anyone explain then rape of an infant or toddler ? Diaper too tight ? Or an 80 or 90 or even 100 year old woman, grandma’s bloomers are such a turn-on ?
    Come on all…….. it’s about violence, aggression and submission that gets the rapists juices going. Unfortunately our society has the attitude the victim set themselves up or just plain wanted it. How sooooooo wrong!

14. AIV says:

OBVIOUSLY NYC POLICE HAVE NEVER TAKEN PSYCHOLOGY 101.. RAPE IS NOT A SEXUAL EVENT IT IS AN AGGRESSION AND ANGER AND POWER ISSUE.

NOTICE THAT THE RAPES THAT HAVE HAPPENED IN WAR ZONES LIKE THE MIDDLE EAST, AFRICA AND SERBIA/CROATIA, VIETNAM, CAMBODIA, EUROPE DURING WWII, .WERE NOT CAUSED BY SEXY WOMEN WALKING AROUND IN PROVOCATIVE CLOTHING

15. Gee says:

Every rapist should be thrown in jail forever. There should be zero discussion about what the victim was wearing — the rapist is the only one at fault. Whether the victim is man or woman (and yes, males can be raped, particularly by men), the blame is on the perpetrator, not the victim.

16. TC says:

The way you dress is what you attract. I agree.
    But, no reason to rape anyone. This is a crime.
    Rape is about power and control___true.

17. jimmy says:

Smart women will dress appropriately. The dumber ones will continue to wear short skirts. My wife and children are all buttoned up. That gives them a better chance.

1. Aly says:

Or men can just stop using a woman’s clothing choices as an excuse to rape them. Either you can raise your family to live in fear or teach them to stand up and force change.

1. Sarah says:

Aly,
        So by your rationale, you believe that Jimmy’s wife and children are living in fear because they are “buttoned up”? So by dressing like sl**ts, we show no fear. Wow, who knew that all those sl***y dressed women out there were really just showing they are not afraid. All this time I thought they were dressing like sl**s because that’s what they are.

2. sonya says:

oh jimmy you are so wrong. mini skirts look good on women. it’s the women who cover themselves up a bit much and act submissive are the ones getting raped in reality.

18. hateiignorant people says:

I cant believe you people agree with the ignorant thought of what i wear makes me want to get raped! Well let me tell u something,I wore jeans and a sweat shirt and sneakers i was 17 and he was a neighbor with 3 children .I blamed myself for years i begged him to stop YEAH he stopped when he was done !God forbid if this happened to your child how would you look at it then! tHEN WHAT WOULD IT BE I MUST HAVE WANTED IT,I am only 5’4 maybe i was 120lbs he was much larger then me stronger,he had no problem ripping off my pants as he pinned me down. Wonder if a profiler would put u in a rapist catagory.

1. your uncle says:

We don’t think you want to get raped. What you wear is how a rapist chooses from among the meat market. Your rhetoric does not change reality.

1. lauren says:

no. no. rape isn’t about sex, beauty, attire, love, or anything of the sort. rape is about power. children and men are raped daily too, are they asking for it with their short skirts and high heels. it is a culture that blames victims for dressing/acting/living a certain way that causes rapists to go unpunished and victims to go unheard.

1. your uncle says:

“Rape is about power” and power is about sex. Power is one of the strongest sexual stimulants.

2. sonya says:

this is why women should learn self defense. i’m 5’4 ht, 140 lbs, in my late 30’s, have taken years of self defense classes, i’m not afraid of big or small men. men who rape should face the death penaly, there’s no cure for rape, ever.

19. trj says:

These people are STUPID! While it is NOT ok to rape anyone only a FOOL would dress like that and then not expect it. It would be like telling a hurting junkie “HEY! I’ve got a bag of smack right here SEE? But you can’t have none. STUPID!

1. keith says:

TRJ is sort of correct. If I’m a nice respectable female and I know the average man out there is twice my physical strength why will I do anything to encourage these perverts or to egg them on. That is like a women that is beautiful and wearing a tight miniskirt and a low cut shirt with a few buttons opened and her bra is showing she is walking past a construction site and gets mad when the men there whistle and make cat calls and stare at her. Then she complains and says I feel threaten for my life you guys don’t stare or look at me. She unknowingly adds fuel to these fired up guys.

1. Aly says:

Yes, you’re right- because men have no control over themselves as soon as a woman walks by. It is physically impossible for a man to respect a woman he doesn’t know, has never met, and will never come into contact with again. He couldn’t just silently enjoy looking at her, or discreetly make a comment to his coworkers about her beauty, or even – heaven forbid! – ignore her completely. It is his biological imperative to make her feel unsafe simply because of what she’s wearing, how she looks, and where she’s walking.

Everything about your comment is sexist, heartless, and harmful to everyone in our society- women AND men.

2. Scott says:

yes, I agree. It is extremely idiotic. But on who’s part? The idiots dressed as they are promoting more hatred for men than already exists? Or the city personnel who approved the paperwork that would allow such an event to take place? Personally, I think it s a tie. Talk about a contradiction.

1. lauren says:

hatred for men? i’m sorry, i forgot all the turmoil, subjugation, disenfranchisement, inequality, and mistreatment men go through every day.

city officials aren’t the only ones responsible. a culture that treats victims like criminals is to blame.

1. Aly says:

How insensitive of us! Obviously, because we don’t want to be raped and want rapists to be held accountable instead of victims, we’re showing our ~hatred for men~ – that poor, downtrodden minority. Oh wait.

3. lauren says:

my body, my personhood, and my safety is not the same thing or a comparative thing to a bag of smack, a pile of money, an unlocked car, or an open door. your comments and those like that perpetuate a culture that teaches “now girls, don’t get raped” instead of blaming the assailant for committing a crime.

1. Jonathon says:

Of course your body and your safety are not comparable to any of those things. But rapists are animals and they don’t see you as a person they see women as pieces of meat. You should be able to walk the streets safely wearing whatever you want, but this protest doesn’t do anything to help your safety. You want safety you need a weapon to protect yourself. A real protest would be to end this nonsense that makes it so difficult to own a gun. The gun is what helps the elderly and women fight back against attackers- it eliminates strength as a factor.

Comments are closed.