Police Make Arrest In Attack, Robbery Of Elderly Bronx Man

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police have arrested a suspect in the vicious attack against an 81-year-old man in the Bronx.

The 20-year-old suspect was identified by police as Cameron Roebuck, and believed to be homeless. He was in lock-up at Bronx Criminal Court Sunday, charged with robbery, though more charges were likely.

The attack was caught on surveillance video Thursday afternoon in Parkchester near Unionport.

Roebuck allegedly followed Jose Rodriguez into his building, put the elderly man into a choke hold then started punching and kicking him.

Police said he eventually ran off after taking Rodriguez’ jewelry and cash. Rodriguez suffered minor injuries.

“I opened the door. He was behind me, got me like that, all the punches in this eye,” Rodriguez told CBS 2’s Kathryn Brown.

“He said ‘I want your money. I want your money’,” Rodriguez said.

Surveillance shows Rodriguez covering his face, trying to protect himself.

After punching and kicking him, the attacker flipped Rodriguez over and stole his wallet with $30 inside.

One person who saw the surveillance video made an anonymous call to police saying he knew Roebuck’s whereabouts. And police made the arrest Sunday afternoon in the basement of a vacant house near the intersection of Ellis and Castle Hill Avenues.

Parkchester residents say they are disturbed by the attack.

“Insane. To jump on an elderly man, for what? For what? That’s just too close to home,” said neighbor Jennifer Lee.

“It was brutal,” said one neighbor. “I was very shaken, it makes it you angry. It’s just disgusting.”

Rodriguez is recently widowed. Several friends came by to check on him Saturday.

Making the attack even more brazen, it happened just steps away from a public safety office.

Police and public safety officers have stepped up patrols in the area, hoping to make it safer, but community activists say more needs to be done.

Please leave a comment below…

Comments

1. Cashgrab says:

Oh my God! I’m so filled with hate for this criminal. They never conduct themselves like this around other able bodied peers. I would crush this punks windpipe with a knee to the throat and push my thumbs into his eyes until he screams like a little girl. GRRR! I wish I could get my hands on this little dweeb. Those pitiful punches may be hard on an old man but look like they are about as intimidating as a flea-flick. This is exactly what will happen to him in the prison showers except that when they roll him over they wont be going for his wallet.

2. MULTICULTURALISM SUX says:

INTERNET SITES FOR WHITES

johndenugent.com
    wvwnews.net (western voices world news)
    stormfront.org
    ramzpaul.com

3. sscarzz says:

This is what happens when you hold a dump for nine months drop it hot and let grow.

4. LiberalsAreEvil says:

Give me five minutes with lowlife punk. I will have a baseball bat with me.

5. mr.kiwi says:

race has nothing to do a crime was committed who cares what race he is,we all know 90% crimes are commited by blacks or spanish so leave race out of it.check u facts or read the ny news every day and see it for yourself

6. mr.kiwi says:

why isnt he charged with indecent exposure because of his pants hanging off his ass?? now he can wear his pants like that for a while in prison,once the jury sees the video tape hes done.

7. houari says:

I don’t care what color or race he is. I am extremely glad they caught this criminal. That’s it.

8. steinberg says:

That man in the video appears to be black to you? Leave crack and meth alone! And stop raping your mom and little sisters you fhucking racist inbred!

1. HDNKR says:

Nice another example of the low life libs that have no class!

9. Steinberg says:

Kevin! What did blacks do to you? Did a black rape your mother? Or did a black man break your mother’s heart. I bet your dad is also your uncle, I.e. your mother’s brother. Fhucking inbred! Now, go back to your trailer and continue getting high on meth! Racist moron!

1. RAMOS says:

1. RAMOS says:

^^^^^Steinberg sorry that wasn’t for you it was Mr. KKK

1. HDNKR says:

Should have been!

2. HDNKR says:

Again this MO RON epitomizes the left with ZERO CLASS! Cant begin a sentence or finish one without profanity! I bet your parents are so proud!

10. NYSmike says:

So much hate for a whole race Kevin? Not enough love as a child? Or maybe just a little too much love!

11. MR KKK says:

WE NEED TO TAKE THESE MINORITIES THAT ARE USELESS TO SOCIETY AND USE THEM FOR USE IN LAB EXPERIMENTS.

1. NYSmike says:

Couldn’t sleep with all of that hate bottled up inside, huh?

2. RAMOS says:

Mr. KKK i HOPE you are including yourself on that list cause with a brain like yours you become a minority…YOU SMART END!!!

12. Glenn Erdmann says:

I’m sure his mother and for that matter the whole family is proud of him. Yes mom, that is your son, an abortion gone wrong.

Comments are closed.