What Schottenheimer Complaints? Rex Ryan, Jets Receivers Deny Report

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Is there trouble brewing in the Jets locker room?

According to the New York Daily News, wide receivers Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason have “individually gone to Rex Ryan in the past few weeks” to sound off on offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s play calling.

But before Sunday’s game, the Jets issued a statement denying the report. Ryan said after the Jets’ 30-21 loss to New England that no players have come to him with complaints.

“That’s Ripley’s to me,” he said. “If it is (true), maybe I got hit in the head or something. I don’t remember that.”

Mason, Burress and Holmes also denied the claim.

“OK, let me say this: I’ve been in this thing 15 years and I’ve never criticized the offensive coordinator to a head coach. Never once,” Mason said. “Whoever told you all that I wish you would tell me who it is so I can ask why they put my name in that mess. … I’m not part of it.”

The receiver added: “I’ve always said the play-caller makes the play calls and the players have got to make them work. If we make them work then they’re great play callers. If we don’t make them work then everyone wants to jump on the OC.”

Despite a return to Ryan’s preferred “ground and pound” offense, the Jets still sputtered to just 31 yards of offense in the first quarter against the Patriots.

New York had 14 first downs to New England’s 26, and was 3 of 11 on third down.

“Whoever wrote that story, they’re just making up stories to sell papers,” said Burress, who hauled in three catches for 42 yards. “I’ve never went in to talk to Rex personally about anything.”

Even with the big three receivers on board, Schottenheimer will surely start to feel the heat in the media and from Jets fans — again — if Gang Green continues to lose.

“I honestly have no idea where that came from or who could have said it,” said Holmes, according to the New York Post. “I have no issue with coach Schottenheimer and I didn’t talk to Rex about anything.”

Your thoughts on Schottenheimer’s system? Be heard in the comments below…

Comments

1. nycandyb says:

The Jets need to stop the gimmicks and just play hard straight up Football. If you need to stop the run, then put your run stoppers in and not more backs to entice the other team to run. If you have trouble running the ball or completing short passes, then stretch the field and throw some bombs. And it’s not Sanchez’ fault that his receiving drop passes at critical moments early in a game. First you stop a team from scoring on their first drive – something nobody else was able to do so far this year – but then a key drop of a certain first-down conversion – and you have a 3 and out and give the other team a second chance to score first – and they do.

2. Erik says:

The Jets offense needs to play better and its on Schotty to make it happen. The defense isn’t what it once was and to salvage the season the Jets offense needs to step it up a notch. I write all about at my Jets blog
    jets.sportsblog.com

3. MIKE DAYEM says:

I SICK PEOPLE TALK ABOUT OFFENSE THEY CAN’T SCORE IT TRUE WE NEED HELP SCHOTTENHEIMER IS NOT ONE FOR NY JETS HE NEED PICK HIS PAY CHECK OR NY JETS WILL NOT MAKE PLAYOFF THE FOR REAL

4. MIKE DAYEM says:

LISTEN UP JETS FAN SCHOTTENHEIMER SUCK AS OFFENSE COACH I WANT HIM FIRE OR I BOYCOTT JETS GAME I FOR REAL

1. Ian says:

THE QUESTION YOU SHOULD BE ASKING YOURSELF INSTEAD OF TRYING TO MAKE A POINT BY YELLING IS WHO RUNS THIS TEAM REX OR THE OTHER COACHES?

YOU’RE GIVING REX CREDIT FOR THE DEFENSE. THEY HAVE A DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR, YET YOU’RE THROWING SCHOTTENHEIMER UNDER THE BUS FOR THE OFFENSE. WHAT’S THE JOB OF THE HEAD COACH?

5. MIKE DAYEM says:

SCHOTTENHEIMER GOT GOING IF I WAS GM FOR NY JETS HE NOT GOING HELP US WIN SUPERBOWL MAN IS BAD LUCKY

1. Andrew Bellucci says:

Did you arrive in the US yesterday? Your English is so bad, I don’t even understand your point, except you don’t like Schottenheimer. There is NO WAY you are a season ticket-holder, so quit talking about boycotting the Jets or did you mean you’ll watch Oprah reruns while the Jets are on TV?

6. scorp says:

Mark Hamchez needs to be benched period, they should do it when that rookie back up Greg McElroy comes back fro his injury.

7. JOEYMAZ says:

An open letter to WFAN and the rest of the NY lmedia: Stop talking about these losers along with the Giants. They both SUCK. BILLS. We have a NY team that is currently first in the AFC East, and I believe, the AFC overall with a 4-1 record and portfolio that includes wins against The Patriots and The Eagles.BILLS Also – Ryan Fitzpatrick is smarter than Eli or Sanchez any day of the week, as proven by his top score on the Wonderlic Test (where did Sanchez and Eli score?). Just because these useless franchises are close by doesn’t mean they deserve any more than a passing mention. NY loves winners, not losers. Stop playing sounbites from Sanchez, he sounds like a retard.

1. PeteinLI says:

I have to agree with this…neither the Giants or the Jets even play in NY state. I understand they’re close to NYC, but the Bills are a much more compelling and interesting story right now, and I’d rather read about a winning, smart quarterback like Ryan Fitzpatrick than either Eli or Sanchez. I mean WFAN has the former owner of the Raiders – in California no less – on the front banner page.

8. lenny says:

An Open letter to Coach Ryan and The Jets: Coach Ryan, I respect you alot I love My NY Jets more than anyone, I saved up to take my son to next weeks game I am coming from Florida, Please dont write a check you cant cash, Please be silent this week before the game It is good to have confidence to be champions but when you thump your chest alot and dont deliver it becomes a spectacle, Look at the E…agles big Talk No action, with our NY Jets We expect action. Please take a page from Coach Buddy win hard Hurt them then Leave. I am expecting a slaughter On Monday night A slaughter On both sides of the team Offense and defense. Good luck the rest of the season Be confident but not Cocky Win one for The big Apple and all those fans who have waited year after year, And when we win the Big One Stand on that Box and then Proclaim We are th e Jets Champions of the world, And if you want my 2 cents run the no huddle mark seems more comfortable when he has more control

9. Zak Trout says:

“You know Rex this offense really needs a jump start, a real shot in the leg.” “You are right Brian; I’ll go see what Plax is up to!” Jets being big mouthed whiners? Never; it is just a vastly misquoted, far spreading, and well documented conspiracy against them. Perpetrated by the Hooded Menace!

Comments are closed.