Teenage Boy Levels Abuse Claim Against Longtime Brooklyn Monsignor

Thomas Brady, 77, Out On $1,000 Bail; Parishioners: No Way This Happened

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A Brooklyn monsignor was arrested Friday and accused of having sexual contact with a 13-year-old boy.

“I’m shocked,” one Marine Park resident told CBS 2’s Lou Young. “Somewhere along the way I think it’s erroneous.”

Monsignor Thomas Brady’s family tried to shield him from view on the way into court Friday night, but there is no hiding from the reality of the criminal charges he faces stemming from an alleged encounter with a teen boy.

There was disbelief at the news the longtime former pastor of Good Shepherd Catholic Church had been arrested.

“This is ridiculous. It’s a crazy story. Who started it?” parishioner John Sweeney said, adding when asked if Brady is a good man, “absolutely. There’s no better. The kids hug him all the time.”

Brady is now 78, retired and is suffering from a series of health problem, but the Brooklyn diocese confirmed that two minors have leveled abuse claims against him, though he has been formally changed for his alleged involvement with just one.

Brady’s nephew, Dave Konig, told Young the old priest, who was released Friday night on $1,000 bail, has succumbed to dementia brought by his many illnesses.

“He’s had two strokes. He’s going through lung cancer now. He’s going through chemotherapy, is affecting and has a lot of trouble thinking straight. All I know is the man is having some difficulty upstairs because of all the illnesses,” Konig said.

The accusations are inconceivable to those who know the man.

“It’s definitely inconceivable that anything like this could happen at all,” parishioner Richard Pagnotta said, adding when asked if he believes the charges, ” no, not at all.”

“I started crying when when I first found out. It can’t be true,” Allison Perry added.

“I wish I was with Monsignor right now to tell him that the community, especially us young ones, our hearts are breaking. We know it’s not true,” Jamielyn LoBello said.

The arraignment took place in Brooklyn court, but District Attorney Charles Hynes has asked for a special prosecutor because he knows Brady personally and said his office cannot impartially handle the case.

The Brooklyn diocese has placed Brady on administrative leave during the investigation. Bishop Nicholas DiMarzo offered prayers Friday for the victims of misconduct as well as for Monsignor Brady.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below.

Comments

1. 123Martini says:

Sister Maureen Paul Turlish from New Castle, Delaware says:
    “He’s been a priest since 1959 and nothing like this has ever happened before.”

It would be more accurate to say that NO ACCUSATIONS OF THIS KIND WERE EVER REPORTED TO THE DIOCESE BEFORE AS FAR AS I KNOW, if none were. The diocese CANNOT SAY whether or not “this have ever happened before.”

Stefanie Gutierrez needs to be more careful in her statements.

The fortunate thing was that this accusation were reported immediately to the police rather than to any religious authorities. Thus it can play out in the criminal justice system where it belongs.

While everyone is entitled to the presumption of innocence the “alleged” victim is now able to proceed through the legal system. That has not been the case with adult victims of childhood sexual abuse – by anyone – because criminal and civil statutes of limitation have expired.

IT’S TIME TO CHANGE THE LAWS THAT NOW GIVE MORE PROTECTION TO PERPETRATORS AND ENABLERS OF SEXUAL ABUSE THEN TO THE VICTIMS!

Sister Maureen Paul Turlish
    Advocate for Victims & Legislative Reform
    maturlishmdsnd@yahoo.com
    Report abuseYesterday, 10:05 am

2. CH says:

When I heard the accusations against Msgr Brady on the news it made me feel so sick to my stomach. I know these accusations are false. My 13 year old cried at the thought that someone could actually try to hurt Msgr in this way.
    Then I started thinking. A 13 year old, who was most likely supposed to make confirmation the very next day, was spending time alone with Msgr. Makes perfect sense to me. My child wanted to do that too, but there was just too much to do to be ready for confirmation there just wasn’t any time. And lets not forget that 13 year old children would never lie or make accusations against a person who could not possibly defend himself, just ask Santa.
    Please excuse my sarcasm. This just doesn’t make sense to me.
    I have been a part of GS parish since I was baptized over 50 years ago. I have been part of the parish through the guidance of Msgr Dawson, Msgr Welsh and Msgr Brady. While it has always been a strong parish, I have witnessed Msgr Brady wake up the parish, bring it to a life that was more vibrant than ever and literally make us all a loving and caring family. He has made us strong and we are all strong enough to trust in God and truth. If these things supposedly took place this past Thursday, it would have to be a miraculous (and temporary) healing that Msgr Brady would have the ability to do such things. Just as he has been with us though our tough times, we are with him through his. We all love and respect him. Our prayers are with him.
    In closing, it bothers me to think that a man who has clearly dedicated his life to helping people and who has the reputation of being a pillar in society, a man who has had such a positive impact on so many people can literally be destroyed by the accusations of an obviously disgruntled member of the parish. That kind of power leaves us all vulnerable to the whims of others. Are we truly to believe that Msgr Brady is a wolf in sheep’s clothing? We are not closing a blind eye to what those would have us believe is true. We know Msgr Brady. We see him all the time and have for many years. Shame on those who would take advantage of the old, ill and feeble. Why should anyone dedicate themselves to lead a good, honest life and try to make a positive impact on society when at the end of it all it can be taken away by the word of someone who has not.

3. Rodin says:

THE NEW YORK TIMES
    In Kansas City Churches, Tiptoeing Around the Latest Scandal
    By A. G. SULZBERGER
    Published: October 16, 2011

The announcement on Friday that Bishop Finn, of the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, had become the highest ranking member of the clergy to be charged with a crime stemming from the sex abuse scandals that have engulfed the church has caused disappointment and anger in the Catholic community here.

“Nowhere is that more true than at St. Patrick’s, where the former pastor, THE REV. SHAWN RATIGAN, WAS ONCE WELL-REGARDED FOR HIS EASY MANNER, FONDNESS FOR CHILDREN AND THE CAMERA THAT6 HE ALWAYS BROUGHT TO EVENTS AT THE CHURCH AND THE PARISH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.”

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
    ~ GEORGE SANTAYANA
    (1863 – 1952
    Spanish American philosopher, essayist, poet, and novelist

1. Rodin says:

“Not long ago, Bishop Finn stood in this church asking for forgiveness. Much of the anguish, then and now, concerned the decision not to inform law enforcement — or the parents here — about Father Ratigan even after the school principal had written a letter detailing concerns that the priest’s behavior fit the profile of a child predator, even after CHURCH OFFICIALS IN DECEMBER DISCOVERED HUNDREDS OF PHOTOGRAPHS ON HIS COMPUTER THAT INCLUDED NUDE PICTURES AND “UPSKIRT IMAGES” OF GIRLS, and even after he attempted suicide.”

– idem

“…WELL-REGARDED FOR HIS EASY MANNER, FONDNESS FOR CHILDREN AND THE CAMERA THAT HE ALWAYS BROUGHT TO EVENTS AT THE CHURCH AND THE PARISH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.”

4. Parishioner says:

This is all because of the illness he is going through now….I know him extremely well and he would never do such a thing. It’s the dementure he didn’t do it intentionally. Let’s face it the man is 80 years old with 2 strokes and cancer…

5. Rodin says:

TO ALL SUPPORTERS, APOLOGISTS, FOLLOWERS, DEFENDERS, PROTECTORS, DISCIPLES, ACOLYTES, APOSTLES, ENABLERS, FRIENDS, FAMILIARS AND MINIONS OF MSGR. BRADY:

I never met a pervert, mass killer, serial killer, child, animal or spouse abuser, pedophile “I didn’t like.” Every reported instance was a “who woulda thunk it” moment with all the attending lamentations and accusations, mostly of the victims. “I KNOW HIM WELL.” “He would never do anything like that.” “Shocking, “erroneous,” “the kids hug him all the time.” And he always loved to hug back, sometimes a little to strong, a little too long. Any Parent, I repeat, allowing their children to be hugged, caressed, kissed, touched by anyone but a relative in this day and age is delinquent.

They’re all kind, loving, ministering, jolly, gregarious, charming, saintly, incapable, those perpetrators. I must admit “suffering from dementia” is a new one. Turning victims into victims x 2 has turned into an international sport. And not one of you has expressed an once of concern for the victims, two young boys for whom facing predator and public reaction must be nothing less than heroic. For them there is no concern from any of you caring Christians.

Forgive me if I seem callous and uncaring but the story repeats itself all constantly and consistently especially with clergymen: unthinkable, unimaginable, preposterous, mendacious, impossible, inconceivable. Not a case of priestly pedophilia has come to light where the outcry and outrage has not been deafening. NEVER on behalf of the victims!

In this particular case, two standouts indict: personality disorders do not pop out of the blue presumably brought about by dementia or any ailment or combination thereof; Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio’s silence, which speaks volumes; and the actual criminal indictment, which in cases like this are scrupulously handled, note how swiftly District Attorney Charles Hynes has recused himself and his office from the case.

Yet, the doubts and accusations fall on the boys: schemers, liars, plotters, blasphemers, they “got their tuitions returned.” The abused turned abusers.

And I’M pathetic? We’ll see. Maybe you’re ll right. It’s no skin off my nose. But I doubt it.

1. Christopher Jackson says:

This is the follow up response I was referring to in my earlier post. Thanks for you consistency, Rodin….

6. Christopher Jackson says:

The replies and acknowledgment of “RODIN” must stop. Rodin,we all appreciate you bestowing upon us the ignorant state of mind that you exist in. This individual is a text book example of a pathetic being that feeds upon the misfortune of others. (He will also reply to this comment with another example of stupidity so look for his future postings)

The fact of the matter is that Msgr. Brady is assumed to be innocent until proven otherwise.

From the experience I have personally had with the Monsignor over the past 20 years, this accusation seems to be inconceivable. He boasts a pastoral and educational career that spans over five decades. However, we are not the judge and jury here.

Let the legal process take it’s course and speak for itself.

7. Barbara says:

I was a member of the parish for 10 years. I taught CCD. Two of my three children received their sacraments with Monsignor Brady. There is no way this accusation can be true. I know Monsignor Brady would not do something like this even if he was healthy enough to do it. My children and I will keep Monsignor Brady in our prayers.

1. Rodin says:

Enabler, always doubt and question.

8. Rodin says:

It’s beddie-time, everyone. Nighty night!

See yousses in the morn unless something new catches my eye.

Comments are closed.