Complaint: NYPD Officer Falsely Arrests Black Man, Uses N-Word When Recounting Arrest

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — A New York Police Department officer was charged Monday with falsely arresting a black man, then later allegedly using a racial slur while recounting the arrest during a phone call.

WEB EXTRA: Read The Full Complaint (PDF)

A criminal complaint also accuses Michael Daragjati — the target of an FBI investigation — of being involved in separate off-duty extortion and insurance fraud schemes.

Daragjati, 32, who is white, was denied bail Monday afternoon in a Brooklyn federal courthouse.

Daragjati is charged with criminal civil rights violations, including false arrest and malicious prosecution, and for doing so with racial animus. He was also charged with attempted violent extortion.

1010 WINS’ Juliet Papa With More On Allegations

Defense Attorney Mike Martinez told CBS 2’s Mark Morgan he was “very disappointed” that his client was denied bail.

The judge said bail was denied because of a threatening comment allegedly made by Darajati:  “If something
happens..these guys are dead..if I lose my job that I work hard for a living.”

U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch said in statement: “The power to arrest, to deprive a citizen of liberty, must be used fairly, responsibly and without bias. Motivated by base racial animus, the defendant allegedly abused this power and responsibility.”

The arrest was made under the so-called “stop and frisk” strategy by the NYPD that resulted in street stops of more than 500,000 people last year.

Civil rights advocates say the effort has unfairly singled out young black men and other minorities. The NYPD claims it’s essential for fighting crime in neighborhoods where men of color make up the vast majority of murder and shooting victims.

According to the complaint, the 6-foot-2 Daragjati was on patrol in the Stapleton section of Staten Island with a plainclothes anti-crime unit on April 15 when he stopped the unidentified, 31-year-old black man. It says the officer grabbed the 5-6 man and frisked him, but let him go after not finding any weapons or contraband.

The man objected, demanding the officer’s name and badge number and shouted insults as he walked away, authorities said. Hearing the insults, the officer and his partner chased after him and arrested him.

WCBS 880’s Marla Diamond On The Story

Daragjati later lied in text messages to his sergeant and in a sworn statement by claiming the man had pushed him and fought back while he was being handcuffed, the complaint said. After two nights in custody, the man finally appeared in court, agreed to plead guilty to disorderly conduct and was released.

Around the same time, authorities intercepted a phone call between Daragjati and a woman. They say he was overheard complaining about having to work overtime to process the arrest, and had “fried another (N-word).”

“What?” the woman responded.

“Another (N-word) fried,” the officer allegedly said. “No big deal.”

Authorities also charged Daragjati with beating and demanding $5,000 from a man he believed had stolen his truck. He’s also accused of trying to file a false claim with an auto insurance company.

Share your thoughts below…

Comments

1. funypd says:

These uneducated clowns think that they are above the law. I hope he is raped or never gets out of prison by any means. I hope that these racist pigs are brought to the surface one by . I hope he and the rest like him get whats coming to them with as much pain and hate as possible.

1. mimma says:

i guess everyone should wish all those bad things on you as well , im 99 percent sure you have said things against whites in ur personal conversation with others as well,dont deny it , god sees and hears all,

2. BYE_GONE_CRACKERS says:

WHITE PIG COPS GONE WILD AGAIN IN NY….BEST COP IS A DEAD COP

1. John says:

but yet all the blacks are keep moving into white neighborhoods and pushing out white population.

3. surfin Bird says:

the cop is innocent

4. pay wahun says:

I think the use of the work itself is not relevant here as you some of you rightfully states that black kids in particular use it very often. The manner, expression and feelings behind it are what really matters. Too often police use it to express negative feelings towards black suspects to validate their feelings for whatever treatment they give them.

Just because others use it, is not a good enough reason for public officer to use it. Could you validate killing because others kill? No public officer should use demeaning words (adjectives based on race, gender, nationality or sexual orientation) to conduct the affairs of the state. And what do you gain from such expressions if not reinforcing demeaning and stereo typing attitude towards that individual’s group?

1. MIMMA says:

UR RIGHT NO PUBLIC OFFICER SHOULD USE DEMEANING WORDS,BUT HE IS HUMAN LIKE ALL OF US ,U SHOULD SAY NO DEMEANING WORDS SHOULD BE USED BY ANYONE ,THE THING I FOUND WRONG ABOUT THIS IS THAT HE DIDNT MAKE THE REMARK TO HIM TO HIS FACE ,HIS PRIVACY WAS INVADED ON THE PHONE TALKING TO A FRIEND,IM NOT RACIST AND IM NOT SAYING ITS RIGHT , BUTTTTTTT IM SURE EVERYONE AND I MEAN EVERYONE AT SOME TIME IN A PRIVATE CONVERSATION MUST HAVE OFFENEDED ANOTHER PERSON IN SOME WAY ,,I HAVE HEARD BLACK PEOPLE CALLING WHITE PEOPLE ON THE STREET WHITE TRASH ECT ECT ,,, HOW COME ITS NOT ON THE NEW ABOUT THAT LOCKING UP THE BLACKS FOR THERE SLUR WORDS ,,,LIKE I SAY ITS NOT RIGHT FOR ANYONE BUT THIS MAN PRIVACY WAS INVADED ON A PHONE CALL,,,,WHY DONT THEY USE THERE TIME RECORDING ROBBERING AND MURDERS AND WORRYING ABOUT THINGS LIKE 911 FROM HAPPENING

1. MIKE says:

GET A LIFE YOU BIGG OT!!!!!!

5. MIKE says:

NOW HE WAS CAUGHT, WHAT IF THIS BLACK MAN WAS SHOT SEVERAL TIMES, KILLED, FOUNFD NO WEAPON. THIS POLICE OFFICER WOULD HAVE TOLD THIS LIE ABOUT HE THIUGHT HE HAD A GUN AND RESISTED ARREST.
    CMON PEOPLE THIS GOES ON EVERYDAY IN THESE NIEGHBORHOODS. THESE COPS HAVE NO RESPECT FOR MINORITIES. WHITE KIDS DO JUST AS MUCH CRIME THAN SUPPOSED MINORITIES AND ITS NEVER IN THE NEWS.

WAKE UP PEOPLE…COPS KILL!

6. Richard Tattersall says:

Where I live in Brooklyn, the kids use it all the time. If I used it, I’d get the s#**#t beat out of me. I’m white. My neighbors aren’t. The 1st amendment says nothing about being stupid .

7. ebj says:

Do these evil policemen who we pay to protect us realize the result of this unproved malicious act., It frightens me how creative these evil policemen are to create some plausible scenario that never took place.. They are so cruel that they do not think how many lives they have permanently destroyed by this action. This experience is not easily erased for some law abidng citizens. After these vicious, malicious premeditated acts they go home to their loving families as if nothing amiss transpired. These men have multiple personalities. we are at the mercy of which one his home at the moment one is confronted or intercepted..

8. Only Whites are racists says:

IF he was a black officer and used the word “N&&er” There wouldn’t have been any charges brought against him. BUT BECAUSE HE WAS WHITE…….. OH THE SHOCK AND HORROR!!!! Osama in da black house mustah been whorified!

1. Meme Meyagi says:

You make me SICK!

9. h says:

The FBI and DEA use gang members to harass suspects. Several corrupt DEA and FBI are angry that I complained to the San Francisco Attorney General’s office. I complained that they where fabricating evidence and stealing from me. For pay back they poisoned my dog to death. Osama Bin-Laden likely died a more human death than my dog. But that is not enough.

One of many occasions…on Oct 17 2011, 7:30PM at the “Milpitas Great Mall” in Milpitas California, corrupt FBI and DEA where using gang members to threaten violence against me because I will not let them get away with stealing from me.

10. NYPD is embrrassed by Ray Kelly again. says:

With his past history in his personal life, how did this guy ever get on the NYPD? Thanks Ray Kelly and Mayor Bloomberg, your hiring practices are really working out nicely over the past few years. He obviously joined the NYPD for protection from investigation in his criminal enterprise.

11. Occupy the White House!! says:

If the guy arrested was a Occupy Wall Street Protestor I would have no problem with it.

1. Richard Tattersall says:

I wasn’t about the arrest. Is was his racist comment. If you think it would be ok if they arrested a Wall Street protestor, You obviously have serious problems with the Constitution. . .

12. Meme Meyagi says:

what is done about 7 million mooslime terrorists living in usa?

13. Tom says:

How can they possibly use a tape recorded conversation between the officer and a woman? It was not part of his official duties. Good luck in getting that admitted into evidence.

1. Tom the laywer says:

Thanks Internet lawyer Tom. You know it all!

2. kevin kramers says:

How? When there’s an on going investigation on him for extortion and wire fraud.
      Hence, the wire tap

14. Officer Vincenzo says:

Hey Michael – Don’t drop the soap brother, Use a soap on a rope.

15. SamDaryal says:

….How ignorant

1. mj says:

ANOTHER typical example of an idiot cop…. vicenzo i mean. i’m sure hes really worth 85 grand a year. he wasn’t worth that when he was working

1. Jim says:

I wish I was Vinny – I would soak you sad sacks for every nickle and mock you as I do.

16. Jeff Rosen ret NYPD says:

If the cop really used a racial slur that is wrong of course. But how can he be charged with making a false arrest if the perp pled guilty for disorderly conduct at arraigment??

1. Jeff Kirby says:

pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge would get him a week or 2 of community service. Since its only his word against 2 police officers, to fight it out in court, there’s a big chance of him losing the case and get possible jail time….

When the deck is stacked not in your favor, you’ll try to minimize your loses and go

17. SamDaryal says:

Have some of you village idiots ever heard the saying “Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see..” apparently not.. You people have no idea what the truth is, and already you want his head on a platter. What if he is just the person “they” want to make an example out of.. People make mistakes and who are you basterds to judge anybody..

1. mj says:

hes a cop .. enuff said btw what about the fact that they have him bragging about it on tape ? i suppose he just made that up . you pro police pople crack me up the way you defend cops no matter what they do … its all ok until it efects you personally then its a different story

1. SamDaryal says:

SOOOOOO your telling me that you never used any racial slur.. you prolly just never got caught.. and did you hear the tapes.. I think not. Im not agreeing with what he said, I am black, and I’m also not saying that any of the alledged charges are ok. What Im saying is he is human, like you, me any other person on this planet. How would you feel if the shoe was on your foot.. You cop haters are all the same..

1. mimma says:

ur right !!!the feds taped personal conversation on the phone,how would others like it , why dont they record everyones calls , blacks ,chinese, jew , and arrest evryone thats calls others by a nickname , i dont think its right , but its out there, and for that man to plead guilty he must have done wrong ,noone in the right mind should plead guilty if there not,its not a lawyers last say its urs to defend oneself…..and im not a cop but everyone should really stop bashing on cops,we need them ,no one is perfect ,but we need them , look how cops were layed off in union city,within days gas station robberies ,killings,ect ect,so i guess cops were doing there jobs,i believe people have a right to like who they want ,but as long as no harm to them, everyone has a right to there own opion,face it its life

2. mj says:

yes we are we have brains and know how to use them … that makes us dangerous. i’m just curious has there EVER been ANYONE that you REALLY respected , thought was a good person or VERY intelligent who became a cop ? most of the people that i knew that became cops had mental problems , either feeling very insecure of just being bullies , most are homophobic , racist sociopathic and narrcissistic jerks that should never be allowed to carry a badge let alone a gun.

18. END FEDERAL RESERVE says:

sue him on his personal not as officer

see the follow link

19. David Kaliner says:

This story doesn’t surprise me. It’s really quite sad.

20. Tom says:

When will the news report all the times that blacks use racial epithets and attack whites for no reason. I’ve had slurs thrown at me by blacks more times than I can count – but that isn’t racist right? Hypocrits.

21. qwerty says:

a white man whose last name is DARAGJATI???? it don’t make no sense…..

22. John L says:

Another cop being a bully, just like he probably was when he was a kid. This cop is garbage..

Hey Daragjati – come find me, tuff guy…

23. mj says:

another hero cop…. he should have to serve out the sentence of the guy he fasely arrested in he general population at rikers

Comments are closed.