Brooklyn 6-Month-Old Amaan Ahmmad Who Died After Antibiotic Overdose Laid To Rest
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A Brooklyn family bid a final farewell Thursday to their baby boy who died after receiving an adult dose of medication.
It was roughly six times what he was supposed to receive. Sultana noticed immediately that her son was having trouble breathing.
“I’m like ‘Look, look my baby’s dying, my baby’s dying,’ and then nurse came over and said ‘No, you’re baby’s pretty good. He’s sleeping’,” she said.
Amaan soon went into cardiac arrest and was declared brain dead later. Earlier Wednesday afternoon, the New York City Medical Examiner ruled his death an accident.
The ME said the death was the result of complications following administration of an adult dose of of the antibiotic azithromycin, which is commercially known as Zithromax.
Hospital records showed baby Amaan was brought to the ER “alert and responsive.” With the exception of a fever, which was reportedly around 100, the nursing staff did not list any other visible symptoms.
An examination led to a diagnosis of clinical pneumonia. Amaan was transferred to the pediatric unit and given a dose of the azithromycin through an IV drip in his right arm.
According to the nursing notes, at least 36 minutes passed before the hospital staff realized something was wrong.
CBS 2’s Jay Dow spoke with the parents Wednesday and asked the boy’s father who he blames for his son’s death.
“Hospital management, doctor, nurse – of emergency,” he replied.
“I’m like ‘Look, look my baby’s dying! My baby’s dying!’ And then nurse came over and said ‘No, you’re baby’s pretty good. He’s sleeping,’” Sultana told CBS 2’s Sean Hennessey.
A copy of the hospital’s discharge summary states the child was given “Azithromycin (500mg), in error” — which led to “cardiac shock.”
Family pediatrician Dr. Suzanne Loiselle said that dosage is more typical for an adult, not a 17-pound baby like Amaan.
“Nobody can feel worse for the family than the doctors and nurses that were involved in this child’s care,” Loiselle said. “About 80 milligrams would be appropriate for a child roughly in his weight class.”
Less than 24 hours after the overdose, Ummay and Amain were told their son was brain dead. Amaan was taken off a respirator on Monday.
“They told us there is no hope because his head is totally collapsed,” his father told Hennessey.
Brookdale Hospital would not answer questions from 1010 WINS or CBS 2, saying only: “We are investigating the circumstances of this tragic incident and express our condolences to the Ahmmad family.”
“I never think like that he pass away forever,” Sultana said. “I thought he’s gonna come back.”
The two first-time parents said they are both devastated and outraged over a fatal medical mistake that cut short their baby’s life just as it was getting started.
Please leave a comment below…