Spring Valley Family Uses Charcoal To Heat Home, Suffers Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

SPRING VALLEY, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) – A Rockland County family suffered carbon monoxide poisoning Monday while using charcoal to heat their home, according to officials.

Steve Kaye, chief of Spring Hill EMS, says the apartment in Spring Valley lost electric power in the weekend snowstorm.

The father came home Monday to find some of his children sick and called 911, Kaye said. EMS workers arrived and detected high carbon monoxide readings. They took two adults and six children to nearby hospitals.

The family might have perished if the father had not called 911, Kaye said.

Spring Valley police Chief Paul Modica says the family members are expected to be released later Monday from the hospitals, however, they may not be able to return to their home.

On Monday, Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy warned residents of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. “Carbon monoxide may in fact be our biggest enemy at the moment,” Malloy said. “Do not bring a gas grill or a kerosene heater into a closed area. You’re going to die. You’re going to kill yourself and potentially your children.”

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

One Comment

  1. DanTe says:

    Nature’s weeding out the stupid. Let it be.

  2. VY says:

    This happens EVERY time people loose power during the winter.
    No matter how many times they are told not to use anything except a properly vented fireplacfe for heat they do, and many die.
    It’s like the cold makes them stupid.
    “Do not bring a gas grill or a kerosene heater into a closed area. You’re going to die. You’re going to kill yourself and potentially your children.”
    What part of that message do you not understand just because it’s cold?
    Do you even have a Carbon Monoxide / Smoke Detector monitor inside your house?
    Are you trying to kill yourself and your kids?
    It won’t stop until authorities start to bring the adults that make these deadly decision infront of child welfare judges, and are told if they do that again and survive, they will have their kids taken away because they are unfit to properly insure the safety of their kids.

Comments are closed.

More From CBS New York

BUY TICKETS NOW
Get Our Morning Briefs

Listen Live