Macy’s Herald Square To Get $400 Million Makeover
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Macy’s is getting a makeover.
The company announced Tuesday that its flagship store in Herald Square will undergo a four-year, $400 million renovation beginning next spring.
Macy’s promises the changes will reinvent and elevate the shopping experience and include 100,000 square feet of additional selling space.
“The excitement, size and scale of this remodel reinforces our conviction that Macy’s Herald Square is and will remain a retail store in a class by itself,” said Terry J. Lundgren, Macy’s, Inc. chairman, president and chief executive officer.
1010 WINS’ Stan Brooks reports: The Largest Renovation In Macy’s History
The renovation is expected touch upon every floor and nearly every department from shoes to cosmetics.
Some of the changes shoppers can look forward to:
– The world’s largest women’s shoe department — totaling 39,000 square feet with as many as 300,000 pairs of shoes available on any given day. Part of the department space may be turned into a coffee/wine/chocolate bar.
– A casual dining experience on the lower level including concepts created by Macy’s Culinary Council of celebrity chefs and a brew pub that will stay open past regular store hours.
– A 200,000 square foot men’s merchandise department spanning over seven floors.
– High-tech improvements including interactive store directories, live video feeds of Macy’s events nationwide, digital product information, an enhanced shoe locator system, new wayfinding signage and a new mobile app to guide customers as they shop.
– A new table-service restaurant on the sixth floor offering views of the Empire State Building and Midtown Manhattan. It will be among 22 restaurants and food service stations throughout the store that will accommodate seating for about 1,100 customers.
– 300 more fitting rooms.
The Memorial Entrance on 34th Street will be restored, windows along Broadway, 34th Street and Seventh Avenue will be reopened and 42 wooden escalators throughout the store will be preserved.
WCBS 880’s Rich Lamb On The Story
“While we will be creating a modern, customer-centric shopping experience for customers at Herald Square, we also will be careful to preserve and restore the historical integrity of this landmark building,” Lundgren added. “Macy’s Herald Square is a treasure that we intend to protect and nurture.”
The store will remain open and operating during construction.
Excited? Let us know below…