McCain Takes A Big Swipe At Long Island; Schumer Calls Them Fighting Words

Political Titans Go At It Over What Ex-Presidential Candidate Calls 'A Joke'

WASHINGTON (CBSNewYork/AP) — Former Republican presidential candidate John McCain likely won’t be vacationing on Long Island any time soon.

Not after what he said Wednesday, and certainly not as a guest of New York Sen. Chuck Schumer.

McCain, R-Ariz., was trying to make a point during debate on a defense bill Wednesday when he said to Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., “Last I checked, Long Island was part — albeit sometimes regrettably — part of the United States of America.”

That drew a swift rebuke from Democrat Schumer, who took to Twitter to demand an apology.

“All of America saw how heroic Long Islanders were on 9/11. Long Island deserves an apology,” Schumer tweeted.

McCain then stood on the Senate floor to explain it was a joke apologized to Schumer — sort of.

“In an exchange here on the floor … I mentioned the wonderful long people — wonderful Long Island, I made a joke,” McCain said. “I’m sorry. There’s at least one of my colleagues that can’t take a joke, and so I apologize if I offended him and hope that someday he will have a sense of humor.”

That only seemed to annoy Schumer more.

“NYers can take a joke. But if Sen. John McCain wants to mock parts of America, stick to Arizona.”

Schumer later said of McCain: “I don’t think he meant it to be malicious, but I didn’t want to let it go unanswered.”

What do you think? Do McCain’s words bug you? Sound off below …

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Juana says:

I am a Long Islander, who cares what John McCain has to say. The man suffered terribly in Viet Nam, thanks to Hanoi Jane. One thing I can say is I DO NOT WANT CHUCK E SCHUMER speaking for me. Now there is a jerk with no sense of humor

2. Meme Meyagi says:

what is done about 7 million mooslime terrorists living in usa?

3. Father Mulcahy says:

Enuff flogging 09/11, Chuck. Get a life, preferably one where you are no longer in politics, as you are a d0uche.

4. None Of Your Business says:

I’ve always regretted that McCain and Palin hold American citizenship. Considering that McCain selected Palin as his Vice-Presidential candidate, does anyone take seriously anything he says–including about Long Island? Do you think maybe we can get Alaska and Arizona to secede from the Uniion? Though I have to admit, I applaud Arizona’s tough stance on those millions of illegal aliens trying to take over the United States and take the country away from American citizens. More power to Arizona on that!! Deport the illegal aliens!!

5. c smith says:

So 1 guy is not a stand up comic, 1 guy is thin skined. But it’s OK. They get their automatic raise, still no jobs and people losing their homes and their is static over a so called joke.

6. donniem23 says:

I bet Rep. Peter King , Republican, Long Island appreciated his comments, too. McCain represents what has become the most racist state in the country, and he’s throwing in gratuitous comments about Long Island. Maybe he’s right about Long Island — he did quite well in several LI districts in the Presidential election.

His apology was actually more objectionable than his original remark.

7. Vernon Hell says:

St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland and they wound up in Arizona, both the crawling and 2 legged variety. McCain is one of the latter. Too bad he was not beaten to death in that NV prison camp, which he survived by collaborating with the enemy.

8. John Doee says:

Who cares? Everybody needs to lighten up. Schumer invoking 9/11 — give me a break. And I live on LI. Again, lighten up!

9. B. Obama says:

Ny is a toilet that needs to be flushed.

10. LOUNG GILE LYNN says:

Durng the World Series games of 2000, I was in a L.I. College, and I overheard a really unique long island conversation, “seriously, it went like this…..You can’t be a Yankee fan .. you must root for the Mets because …you’re from lounggilend”

11. mm says:

Let’s stop sending all our federal tax dollars from Long Island to the A-holes in Washington, and then maybe McCain will see our worth. It’s amazing how when you get called out, you say t is a joke, NOT THAT SIMPLE. Hope you done ever run for office nationally ’cause you just lots of votes, for sure.

12. mw says:

I guess all the things that we built on “LONG ISLAND” for defense of our GREAT nation was NOT done with “PRIDE”, BTW Sen McCain owes us one “GRUMMAN” Built (a L.I. Company) AE-1 SKY RAIDER that he lost in Viet Nam !

13. Jay says:

Just for that, we should make him ride the LIRR for 30 straight Days, that’ll teach him good..

14. Ken says:

Big deal.

15. 22drover says:

I wonder how many of the McCain apologists would do so if he had chosen to make his “funny” about their hometown instead of Long Island!

16. DOUBLE_CHINNED_PUPPETEER says:

Long Island should secede from the USA and teach McCain a lesson!

17. Ernest Windschauer says:

When Sen. John McCain insulted Long Island , he insulted all people residing there in Brookllyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk. No wonder Sen. Chuck Schumer who resides in Brooklyn, took offense.

18. richard kaltz says:

sorry but i think it’s wrong people living on long island are just american as the rest of us.I bet men from l.i. are dieing and fighting for our country just like the rest of america.

19. Howard Sprague says:

McCain has a long history of putting his foot in his mouth. His attempts at humor never succeed. Sadly, he is typical of the very wealthy, out of touch with the middle class, morons that the GOP routinely nominate for high elected office.

20. John says:

Schummer needs a face lift–He’s a DI-K. I wish he would stay out of the Media on Sunday’s. Open you trap on Saturday’s and let us have peace on Subday. Every Sunday you see this smuck with something to say. Shut up already.

21. J says:

Polatricks as usual. Both men are true Americans in my book. It should be water under the bridge.

22. Obladi says:

Schumer is becoming senile…it becomes more and more apparent with every new story printed about him…

23. Huh says:

He’s got a point…Long Island is an embarrassment to NY….every a$$ h0le I ever met was from there…

24. Meme Meyagi says:

Schummer is a dck. Always was. always will bne

1. Meme Meyagi says: