Jose Reyes: Marlins Meant Business, Mets Never Made Real Offer
NEW YORK (WFAN) – The Marlins contacted Jose Reyes the moment he became a free agent.
The Mets never made a formal offer.
And that, says Reyes, is one of the reasons he’s taking his talents to South Beach.
“If they wanted me back I should be there in New York,” Reyes told WFAN’s Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts on Wednesday. “Right now I’m a Miami Marlin.”
So there it is. The Marlins have officially signed Reyes to a six-year, $106 million deal.
The wildly popular “Please Stay Jose” campaign is kaput — for good.
The All-Star shortstop thanked Mets fans for their support, and said he’s looking forward to tipping his cap to them as a visitor at Citi Field.
“I have to say thank you to all the fans there in New York,” Reyes told Benigno & Roberts. “I know I went through some bad times, some good times there. They never walk away on me. They always support me. But it was time for me to move on.”
Earlier on Wednesday, during his official introduction as a member of the Marlins, Reyes admitted New York didn’t offer “anything, really.” Even Mets general manager Sandy Alderson owned up to not making Reyes an official offer earlier this week.
“They don’t make a real offer,” Reyes said. “So that’s me, like, they don’t want me there.”
Your thoughts on how the Mets handled Reyes’ free agency? Be heard in the comments below…