Feds Raid L.I. Doctor’s Office In Prescription Painkiller Investigation

PORT JEFFERSON STATION, N.Y. (AP) — Federal agents have raided a Long Island doctor’s office as part of an ongoing prescription painkillers investigation.

According to Newsday, six Drug Enforcement Administration agents removed boxes of records Wednesday night from the office of Dr. Frank Telang in Port Jefferson Station.

The DEA stressed that he is not charged with any crime.

His attorney, James McElhone, says Telang is a “widely respected doctor” and has “absolutely” done nothing wrong.

He’s the third Long Island doctor to face scrutiny in a prescription drug probe that began in March.

Please leave a comment below…

(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. CARMEN M FITZPATRICK says:

THIS IS A TOTAL INJUSTICE TO CONNECT DR.TELANGS NAME WITH OTHER DRS THAT APPARRENTLY DONT CARE ABOUT THERE PATIENTS AND USE THEIR OFFICE AS A MONEY MAKING BUSINESS, NOT A DOCTORS OFFICE…….. IVE BEEN HIS PATIENT FOR 3 YRS, WHEN I FIRST HOBBELED INTO DR.TELANGS OFFICE I WAS A 38 YR OLD WOMAN THAT HAD BEEN TO NUMEROUS DRS TRYING TO FIND OUT Y I COULDNT STAND UNATTENDED, KP MY BALANCE, WAS TRIPPING OVER MY OWN FEET, FEELING SUCH PAIN IN MY BODY I WAS THINKING SUICIDE, AFTER SEEING THIS MAN AND TALKING W HIM AND AGREEING TO HIS TESTS AND TRYING ALL DIFF MEDS HE THOUGHT WOULD HELP, I WAS SOON FEELING BETTER EMOTIONALLY,PHYSICALLY, AND HEALTH WISE. AFTER 3 YRS I AM WALKING, DONE W THE FALLING AND TRIPPING, I AM SLEEPING THREW THE NIGHT , I AM DEALING W THE WORLD AGAIN AND NOT HIDING BECAUSE I AM DISGUSTED BY WHAT HAD BECOME OF ME AND HOW PPL LOOKED AT ME WHEN I WAL;KED,,HE MADE MY PAIN BEARABLE BY SEEING WHAT WAS WRONG W MY BODY AND GIVING ME THE CORRECT ANTIDOTE TO HELP IT HEAL, WORK NATURALLY AGAIN AND TAKE AWAY THE PAIN SO I CAN GET THREW THE DAY AND LIVE AGAIN, I AM ALSO FINANCIALLY OK AGAIN BECAUSE HE SHOWED PROOF AND RECORDS THAT I AM ILL AND I CAN NOW RECIEVE MONTHLY WHAT I WORKED SO MANY YRS FOR.SO FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WANT TO JUDGE, NOT MANY DRS, CARE AS MUCH AS THIS MAN, HES IN FOR THE NEED TO HELP US REGAIN OUR IDENTITY AGAIN, TO TAKE OUR PAIN AWAY AND HELP US LIVE AGAIN WITHOUT SO MUCH PAIN, HES ALWAYS LOOKING INTO DIFFERENT WAYS OF HEALING FOR EACH DIFFERENT PATIENT, HE IS A WELL RESPECTED DOCTOR,, FOR A MAN TO LOOK AT ME WHEN I GO SEE HIM AND TO ASK ME HOW MY LIFE IS, MY KIDS, ECT,,, HE CARES. SHOW ME OTHER DOCTORS THAT WOULD ASK PPL HOW THERE LIFE IS, THEY DONT. THEY SEE U FOR A SEC AND GET UP AND POINT U TO THE DOOR, NOT EVEN TALKING TO U ABOUT WHAT IS OR MAY BE WRONG W YOU.HES IN THIS FIELD BECAUSE HE CARES, NOT FOR THE EXTRA PERKS!!

2. d.g. says:

im a patient that was crushed by heavy equipment ,,a fews years back do to my disability i can no longer work i cant sit for 10 mintues and walking is a problem …..now mind you i have 5 childern under the age of 15 and i cant play with them i cant even go on walks like i used to really .i have undergone numbers of surgeries in the past 5 years ….MY HEART BLEEDED FOR THOSE FAMILYS THAT LOST LOVE ONES .on that faithful day on fathers day no less …i belive that the d.e.a. has made this out to be a witch hunt ……no one really understand what dr telang does do they …..he has made my life so what normal again at the very least i can say he is the only doctor that would take me on in the stage that my disablity has gone too…so i hope and pray that all is well for my doctor and his beauitful family ….luis lopez

3. hurt says:

Apparently Reality Guru is not familiar with HIPAA or real chronic pain patients.

I am a patient of Dr. Telangs. Fios reported on this and said they raided his office with a search warrant based on intelligence. As you can see, his patients support him because he is a licensed specialist and if he is not, if you did make it that way and create an entry to barrier for doctors to prescribe these medications, then you create an additional barrier to chronic pain patients.

Tell me, what about the legit people? You’re saying I should have to go to a polioce station? I’m all for a database, go ahead. I do nothing illegal, neither does Dr. Trlang. But because of a few idiots who either abuse, divert or even doctor shop should be TARGETED.

Now come next month, what I’m supposed to go find a new doctor? Do you know how hard it is to find someone in your insurance network to get the appropriate treatment? These meds are for people where neither surgery, epiderals, cortisone shots or physcial rehab do any work.

If you want to take away these meds, or make it difficult for chronic pain patients to live normal lives, then I have no problem going on disability. If you’re going to limit these medications, which should be done to people who abuse both the product and the system ONLY, then a considerable amount of people are going to have to be on disability because I can’t sit in a chair for 8 hours and on a train for another 3 hours without a medicinal component due to a rib protruding from my side due to sever scoliosis, and a severe car accident.

According to the DEA, medical records will be returned to the office on Monday, December 9th and hopefully the company will remain in business and they will find whatever they’re looking for and I hope if anyone was abusing the system that they’re caught so real patients don’t have to worry about their future treatment.

4. Ruthie Mitchell Ellis says:

Dr. Telang has definately treated and encouraged me to go from disability back to work…

1. d.g says:

hey ruthie you go girl im t one who posted d.g. its mimi ruthie …i feel so bad about this …he needs to know we support him in every way possiable….ttyl mimi

5. d.g says:

I want to comment about REALITYGURUS comment …..you need to understand something dr frank telang has notthing to do with that case of the 4 people who were killed on fathers day and i know the some of the familys that were affected by that whole thing …i belive now this is a witch hunt now …again i will go to bat for this dr …he is wonderful and a great doctor …..everyone needs to understand no matter what you do people are going to find away to get drugs no matter what ….ok with that said i understand why everyone needs to lash out .but this isnt the way to do it ….i feel so bad for him …..and as for realityguru you have your own mind and ur own words but really if you dont know this dr frank telang please dont judge him …he didnt notthing wrong and i can testify thats true …it just bothers me.period .

6. D.G. says:

I just want to let everyone know ….That dr frank telang is the up-most wonderful doctor,,,youll ever find ….the problem is you have tooooooo many kids trying to find drugs …..im a patient of doctor frank telang for well over 10 years ,and im sorry i cant see him doing wrong ….its not his fault that this happened to dr telang ….its a shame though …all i can say is this i wish him the best to his and his family ….in my eyes he has doing notthing wrong …he deals with alot of sick patient that are truly sick and hurt ..for what ever happens i myself have an open mind…….

7. RealityGuru says:

Prescribing controlled substances should be limited to a small number of certified pain management specialists. The drugs should be removed from pharmacies and dispensed only from secure facilities co-located with police stations. Computers would track prescriptions by both doctor and patient to detect abuse.

Had these measures been in effect, 4 people in Medford, L.I. would still be alive.

Comments are closed.