News

Tuckahoe Resident Homeless After Early Morning Fire; Fire Chief Warns Of Holiday Dangers

View Comments
Flames (file / credit: Woohae Cho/Getty Images)

Flames – File / Photo: Woohae Cho/Getty Images

TUCKAHOE, NY (WCBS 880) - Bright orange flames shot through the windows at 287 Marbledale Road in Tuckahoe and the old one-story wood frame cottage was a tinderbox.

WCBS 880’s Sean Adams On The Story

The sole resident, an older gentlemen, escaped with burns on his hands and arms.

He spoke of a wood-burning stone, which Eastchester fire chief Michael Grogan says they couldn’t find.

Grogan says this should be a reminder to all of us about the hazards of the season.

“Of course, as you get into the really cold times, you know January and February, you going to see more involved fires because of overworked old heating systems or malfunctions, fireplaces,” Grogan said Friday morning.

You should also take care with candles, heaters and Christmas decorations, too.

Tuchahoe mayor Steve Ecklond identified the resident as David Verner, a long time neighbor.

“If there is anything that the village can do, we’ll certainly rally around and support and help him out any way we can,” said Ecklond.

Do you have something to say about this story? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

View Comments